• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Burglaries & Other Crimes Facilitated By Toxic Gas Or Anaesthetic Agents

Patrick McGoohan was a victim of gassing by criminals back in the late 1960s. He ended up kidnapped because of it, and the effects were greatly confusing.

And he was chased forever by a helium-filled balloon. Ironically.

Not just celebrities it would seem, but people from Kings Lynn:
Camper van couple ‘gassed by thieves’ on dream road trip
A couple are cutting short a dream road trip after a break-in at a French service station during which they believe they were “gassed”.
Pete Gosling, 26 and Lauren Hubbard, 27, from Wootton Road, King’s Lynn, were planning to spend six months driving around Europe in a camper van. On Tuesday they stopped off to sleep at a lorry park near Marseille in the south of France, en route from Italy to Spain.
Mr Gosling said when they woke the following morning, they realised that the van had been burgled.
“When we rose in the morning we realised our glove box was open and bags moved into the front of the van and tipped out,” he said.
“After checking the doors were locked. We just thought it was odd but nothing seemed to be missing.
“After leaving and getting to the toll road payment machine we opened my wallet to see all my cards and money had been taken, leaving us only with five cents and the toll card.
“My wallet and girlfriend’s bag were right beside where we slept. We must have felt their breath.
“We believe we must have been gassed as they managed to unlock the camper van, come right up to where we slept and take my wallet and my girlfriend’s bag.”
The couple are seasoned travellers, having spent a year travelling around Asia.

Haha, I forgot I'd already posted about this!

This was supposed to happen on trains on the Continent years ago. A former English tutor of mine, a fine upstanding citizen and the daughter of a prominent politician, reckoned she'd had it done to her.

The whole trainful of passengers was sent to sleep, the story went, possibly on an overnight train, and everyone woke up sans valuables.

I didn't believe a word and I still don't. They were probably all pissed. Staff may have had a hand in waiting till the tourists were flat out and then directing their criminal mates over to the lucrative First Class end.

Holidaymakers are notoriously lax about security; for example, as many as 6,000 Brits a year lose their passports in Spain.

“My wallet and girlfriend’s bag were right beside where we slept. We must have felt their breath.
“We believe we must have been gassed as they managed to unlock the camper van, come right up to where we slept and take my wallet and my girlfriend’s bag.”

Drunk. You can do anything to people who are passed-out from booze, as a million Instagram photos tell us.

Would it not be easier just to slip (or inject) something into a bottle of wine (or gin or rum or, ahem, martini) in the house and just wait for it to take effect? Rather than gas everyone?

That's what I'd do. If I ever wanted to do this kind of thing, of course. Which I don't.

Would it not be easier just to slip (or inject) something into a bottle of wine (or gin or rum or, ahem, martini) in the house and just wait for it to take effect? Rather than gas everyone?

That's what I'd do. If I ever wanted to do this kind of thing, of course. Which I don't.

Good point, but it's unnecessary when people are prepared to do the job for you by drinking themselves insensible!

Reminds me of the 'date-rape' drug flap of a few years ago. I was doing an MA in criminology at the time and my dissertation subject involved the fear of crime so I took an interest.

Women were being advised to watch their drinks, use a bottle instead of a glass etc even though, according to investigations in A&E departments, hardly any women taken to hospital after what they claimed was a Rophynol incident were found to have had anything except a lot of booze.

Not saying they were making it up or lying, just that getting blind drunk makes you vulnerable to various types of criminality including sexual assault because you have no idea what's going on around you.

Absolutely, and I agree that getting blind drunk means that you're a sitting target for burglars. But...

how do the burglars know you are blind drunk? And, more importantly, how do they know that the amount of drink you've had will keep you out cold so they can 'do over' (as I believe the expression is) your house?

I can appear to be blind drunk occasionally, when I have over-indulged. However, anyone following me home and attempting to break in will be met by me, pretty much sober. I can't hold much alcohol and have the tendency to vomit (sorry) excess back up a couple of hours after having drunk it. I might be wandering around in a sick-stained T shirt, but I can assure you that I'd be very much capable of phoning the police. I might even go to sleep, but I would certainly no longer be drunk enough to stay asleep whilst burglars did their thing.

So i suppose my question is, have there been many cases where a 'blind drunk' couple (or single person) has been broken into by burglars who assume they are out cold, only to find that this was very much not the case?

A disturbing series of rapes in an isolated Mennonite community in Bolivia...

The substance identified in the criminal rape case and allegedly used by the attackers to immobilise victims and their families comes from tropical plants. It is well-known in Latin America, and some Mennonite farmers on the continent apparently use it to anaesthetise bulls before they are castrated.
In Manitoba the men sprayed it through bedroom windows before they broke in. Its effect is dramatic, especially on memory. Someone might know something terrible has happened but be unable to recall it. Or it can render a person compliant, impotent to fight back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-48265703

To incapacitate their victims and any possible witnesses, the men used a spray created by a veterinarian from a neighbouring Mennonite community that he had adapted from a chemical used to anaesthetise cows. According to their initial confessions (which they later recanted), the rapists admitted to – sometimes in groups, sometimes alone – hiding outside bedroom windows at night, spraying the substance through the screens to drug entire families, and then crawling inside.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/4w7gqj/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia-000300-v20n8

A disturbing series of rapes in an isolated Mennonite community in Bolivia...

The substance identified in the criminal rape case and allegedly used by the attackers to immobilise victims and their families comes from tropical plants. It is well-known in Latin America, and some Mennonite farmers on the continent apparently use it to anaesthetise bulls before they are castrated.
In Manitoba the men sprayed it through bedroom windows before they broke in. Its effect is dramatic, especially on memory. Someone might know something terrible has happened but be unable to recall it. Or it can render a person compliant, impotent to fight back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-48265703

To incapacitate their victims and any possible witnesses, the men used a spray created by a veterinarian from a neighbouring Mennonite community that he had adapted from a chemical used to anaesthetise cows. According to their initial confessions (which they later recanted), the rapists admitted to – sometimes in groups, sometimes alone – hiding outside bedroom windows at night, spraying the substance through the screens to drug entire families, and then crawling inside.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/4w7gqj/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia-000300-v20n8

If it is well known in Latin America surely some travelling anaesthetist will have heard of it?

Xylazine?

"It has become a drug of abuse, particularly in Puerto Rico,[8] where it is diverted from stocks used by equine veterinarians and used as a cutting agent for heroin."

Ketamine?

maximus otter

Reading the full article its not as certain that any gas or spray was used. The confessions have been recanted.

From the article:
"There are different narratives. Some say the accused men were unpopular in Manitoba, and the colony paid off the Bolivian judiciary to keep them in prison. Others believe the men were fall-guys - cover for a wider culture of familial sexual abuse. Many doubt the use of that powerful narcotic spray. "

Hmmm. IDK. I think this one occasion where I would say that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back