• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Buried Nazi Treasure (Other Than The "Gold Train")

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
The Nazi Underground
Is treasure buried beneath the mountains of Poland?

Lower Silesia, in southwestern Poland, is a land of treasure hunters. Until the end of the Second World War, the region—covered by mountains and deep pine forests with towering, arrowlike trees—was part of Germany. In the early months of 1945, the German Army retreated, along with much of the civilian population. The advancing Red Army killed many of the Germans who remained. Nearly all those who survived were later evicted and forced to move west. By the end of 1947, almost two million Germans had been cleared out.

In order to fill the emptied landscape, the newly formed Polish government relocated hundreds of thousands of Poles from the east. The settlers arrived in vacant towns, walked into empty houses, and went to sleep in strangers’ beds. There was furniture in the houses, but usually the valuables were missing. The porcelain dishes, the silk dresses, the fur coats, the sewing machines, and the jewelry were gone, often hidden in the ground: buried in jars, chests, and even coffins. It was a hasty solution—a desperate effort to cache valuables as people were running for their lives. The owners of these possessions intended to return, but most didn’t. And so on steamy fall mornings, when the new arrivals dug in their gardens or tilled their fields, they unearthed small fortunes.

The stashes were ubiquitous, and everyone, it seemed, was a treasure hunter. The historian Sebastian Siebel-Achenbach, in his book, “Lower Silesia from Nazi Germany to Communist Poland, 1942-49,” writes that many Poles came to the region because they were “attracted by the supposed German treasures to be gleaned at little or no cost.” There were so few consumer goods available that many of the new residents made a living by trading merchandise stolen from German homes. Siebel-Achenbach cites one report suggesting that as many as sixty per cent of those who resettled in the Wrocław district were such speculators....

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/09/searching-for-nazi-gold?mbid=social_twitter

A new development, which may or may not turn out to be fiction ...

The purported diary of an SS officer has been turned over to the Polish authorities after having been held in secret by Masons (!?) for decades.

One location for the alleged hidden horde is Hochberg Palace in the Silesian region of southwestern Poland.
Nazi diary reveals secret location of WWII treasure under a palace in Poland

The long-buried stash is thought to be worth billions of dollars

A diary that was in the possession of a secret society for decades after the end of World War II may contain a map detailing the location of more than 30 tons (28 metric tons) of gold that was hidden by the Nazis.

Written 75 years ago by a Waffen Schutzstaffel (S.S.) officer using the pseudonym "Michaelis," this journal outlined Nazi commander Heinrich Himmler's plans to hide stolen European riches, artifacts and priceless works of art, according to Polish news site The First News (TFN).

The diary listed 11 sites where Nazis concealed looted gold, jewels, priceless paintings and religious objects. One location that it names is an abandoned well that extends nearly 200 feet (60 meters) underground, beneath the 16th-century Hochberg Palace in the village of Roztoka, in southwestern Poland. The gold at the bottom of the well is thought to have come from the Reichsbank in the Polish town of Breslau (now Wrocław) and is estimated to be worth billions of euros, TFN reported on May 26.

For decades after the war, the "Michaelis" diary was kept secret, hidden away in the town of Quedlinburg, Germany. It was in the possession of a Masonic lodge that has existed as a secret society for more than 1,000 years and counted elite Nazi officers among its members during the time of the Third Reich. One member, allegedly, was "Michaelis," who controlled Nazi transport in southwestern Poland, TFN reported. Lodge members in later years included descendants of Nazi officers, according to TFN.

But in 2019, the lodge gave the diary to a Polish foundation named Silesian Bridge. The foundation announced in March of last year that it had received the journal from its German "partners" — the lodge members in Quedlinburg — who gifted the journal to the people of Poland as "an apology for World War II," TFN reported.

Included with the journal was a map that purportedly pinpointed the location of the well on the Hochberg Palace grounds where the Nazi treasure was hidden, Roman Furmaniak, a representative of Silesian Bridge, told TFN. Additional documents suggest that after the Nazis hid their ill-gotten riches, they murdered witnesses, dumped the bodies in the well, and then detonated explosives to seal the entrance, Furmaniak told TFN.

Experts have determined that the diary was written at the time of WWII, but the journal's authenticity has yet to be confirmed by Poland's Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, ministry representative Magdalena Tomaszewska told TFN. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/nazi-diary-buried-gold.html

The purported diary of an SS officer has been turned over to the Polish authorities after having been held in secret by Masons (!?) for decades.
One location for the alleged hidden horde is Hochberg Palace in the Silesian region of southwestern Poland.

The Irish Sun is reporting that treasure hunters have not abandoned their claims of the Hochberg Palace being a Nazi treasure site, but they've decided to dig for what may be a more accessible portion of the overall hidden treasures allegedly buried at a palace or mansion at the Polish town of Minkowskie.
Treasure hunters plan to dig up 48 crates of Hitler’s gold worth half a billion hidden under Polish palace ‘brothel’

TREASURE hunters are hoping to dig up 48 crates of Hitler's hidden gold worth nearly half a billion pounds at a Polish palace used by his SS henchmen as a brothel.

The team will begin the archeological excavation at the 18th-century palace in the village of Minkowskie in southern Poland next week and hope to unearth 10 tonnes of gold and other riches. ...

The swag was stolen towards the end of World War Two under the instruction of SS boss Heinrich Himmler, to fund the creation of a Fourth Reich.

It is also thought to be made up of jewellery and possessions treasured by Germany's elite who lived in the area and gave the Nazis their valuables to avoid them being snatched by Russia's advancing Red Army.

The elusive 'Gold of Breslau', which disappeared from police headquarters in the Polish city of Wroclaw, is also believed to be amongst the hidden loot. ...

A pencil-written entry from March 12, 1945, discussing the stash at the palace in Minkowskie reads: "A trough has been dug in the orangery, which is a safe 'home' for the delivered chests and containers.

Michaelis continued, "48 chests from the Reichsbank, in good condition, were hidden, very well covered with earth and 'greened' with still living plants. ...

The revealing memoir has proved to be quite the treasure map, after it earlier revealed the location of another palace in the region last year where 28 tonnes of valuables are believed to be buried at the bottom of a well.

But the Silesian Bridge team have opted to excavate the Minkowskie mansion as the stash is easier to access. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.thesun.ie/news/6914970/treasure-hunters-dig-crates-hitlers-gold-polish-palace-brothel/

Interesting that the story of the Polish palace treasure is backed up by contemporary diaries. Could of course be faked, but it is a fascinating account. I hope it comes to something but post ww2 history of these buried treasure stories rarely have an interesting ending.

A bit of digging gives me the “Hitler Diaries” vibe.

Anonymous donors from a “secret society”? Excellent “cutouts” to forestall any chance of research.

Handwritten? In pencil? By a senior SS officer? Even at the end of the Thousand-Thirteen-Year Reich, the Germans were meticulous record-keepers. l just think that faking 1940s-era handwriting was easier than finding a suitable typewriter ( which, BTW, would have had to have had the specific key for the SSrunen:

15298465_2.jpg

The book itself looks genuine and contemporary, though the fact that the bulk of the text is in pencil, but there are ink entries in a different hand on otherwise blank pages, suggests to me that someone’s found an almost-unused diary of the right provenance and decided to manufacture a *shock horror!* “NazimysterygoldbrothelHitlerSS” artefact.

My verdict? Tomorrow’s chip wrapper.

maximus otter

Last edited:
... Handwritten? In pencil? ...

I also found it strange that documentation of something so important would be done in pencil.

In recent decades multiple historical hoaxes have been overturned by chemical analysis of ink(s) used in the allegedly original documentation. Is pencil / graphite writing less amenable to such analyses, and hence less easily debunked?

I also found it strange that documentation of something so important would be done in pencil.

In recent decades multiple historical hoaxes have been overturned by chemical analysis of ink(s) used in the allegedly original documentation. Is pencil / graphite writing less amenable to such analyses, and hence less easily debunked?
Pencil is a much hardier medium for writing, a lot less prone to fading with age or damage from water.

One wonders, if this stash of gold is found, who it should belong to.

"An expensive Parker pen has been found in the station. Will the owner please form a queue outside Admin."

maximus otter

Why do humans look for delusion? I understand that it's exciting and fun to imagine buried gold, or that you are part of an elite that a. visits other planets, b. is saving the word from child abuse, c. knows that some organization passes down secret documents but there's a line crossed when you believe. Such a fraud on its surface - I have known several masons in my lifetime. The organization does not and never did hold and pass down secret documents, maps of 18th century treasure, etc. Aside from my actual experience with Masons, once two people know a secret it is no longer a secret. Perhaps all this was perpetrated by the owners of the five real estate parcels listed. And all those folks out with their metal detectors and shovels - do they really think that they get to keep anything at all that they find? The Polish government would whisk it all away.

I'm amazed that these hidden hordes are still being looked for!

Old Nazi map sparks treasure hunt in the Netherlands.
(...) the map was believed to indicate where Nazi soldiers had hidden four large boxes filled with diamonds, rubies, gold, silver and all sorts of jewellery which they had looted after an explosion at a bank in August 1944.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/old-nazi-map-sparks-treasure-hunt-netherlands-2023-01-06/
I suppose it's not much different to metal detectorists searching fields for treasure. There appears to be an endless amount of stuff from WW2 still buried, including intact tanks, inevitably some treasure hoards will be undiscovered. I suspect that some will have been found over the past 75 years but undeclared. I do find it a fascinating subject.

(...) the map was believed to indicate where Nazi soldiers had hidden four large boxes filled with diamonds, rubies, gold, silver and all sorts of jewellery which they had looted after an explosion at a bank in August 1944.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/old-nazi-map-sparks-treasure-hunt-netherlands-2023-01-06/
See also https://nos.nl/artikel/2458540-archief-geeft-schatkaart-prijs-naar-mogelijke-nazi-schat-in-ommeren
Shows a picture of the map itself.

“Right Hans, here’s the plan: We’ll salvage a fortune from this ruined bank, but instead of doing what the enemy would expect us to do with such valuable loot, i.e. take it back to Germany to support our failing war effort, we’ll only drive it a few miles into the countryside then abandon it under a tree!

Make sure that, although we’ve been in occupation of Holland for years and have lots of reliable maps and secure facilities available, and this money is of vital importance, the only record of this hoard’s location is a hand-drawn map based on your fallible memory…”

:rofl:

maximus otter

Last edited:
“Right, Hans, here’s the plan: We’ll salvage a fortune from this ruined bank, but instead of doing what the enemy would expect us to do with such valuable loot, i.e. take it back to Germany to support our failing war effort, we’ll only drive it a few miles into the countryside then abandon it under a tree!

Make sure that, although we’ve been in occupation of Holland for years and have lots of reliable maps and secure facilities available, and this money is of vital importance, the only record of this hoard’s location is a hand-drawn map based on your fallible memory…”

:rofl:

maximus otter
In a German accent: "We have ways of making you walk"... pointlessly around and around Ommeren with metal detectors

Last edited:
Back