• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

my girlfriend's always complaining about her right ear burning. she gets paranoid that someone's talking about her in spite, left for love, right for spite. Where does this old wives tale come from? is my girlfiend telepathic? Is this indication to a collective consciousness?

I once read somewhere that a burning ear might be a sign of a sudden rise in blood pressure. Though whether this is true and if so what it has to do with being talked about I have no clue.
Interesting thread though, consider it bumped.

your girlfriend probably has an ear infection or sommat!

Yes, I've heard that when your ears are ringing, gossip about you is being spread. I dunno where this comes from, however...

I've also heard your girlfriend's legend: right for spite, left for love.

Nick

My ears used to burn all the time, but I have quite a low blood pressure. Hmm.
It either means someone is talking about you, or you just have hot ears! :D

I've heard this too, never known its origin.

It reminds of the "Itchy Hand" saying. "Right to receive, left to loose", indicating your right hand would receive money your left would loose it, give it away?

mooks out

PS A Simpsons quote.

Marge and Lisa are in the kitchen discussing how handsome and smart Lisa's new teacher is. Enter Homer.
Homer - My ears are buring.
Lisa - Oh, we weren't tlaking about you dad.
Homer - No, my ears are burning, I lit a Q-tip to look inside and now my ears are burning.

Yes, I've heard that when your ears are ringing, gossip about you is being spread. I dunno where this comes from, however...

I've also heard your girlfriend's legend: right for spite, left for love.

Nick

I assume the alleged mechanism is that the same sense of guilt/shame/embarrassment that causes one to blush, causes one's ears to 'burn' in subconscious acknowledgement that you are the likely subject of loose tongues.

It's what card-players might term a 'tell'.

Perhaps the supernatural/psychic agency came later?

Back