• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Burnt Frog(s) On London Street

Themis

At the library. Probably. Hopefully.
This was a few years ago now and I think about it more often than is probably warranted. But I was in the south London suburb, walking down an entirely normal road on a summer morning when I noticed something strange on the pavement a few steps ahead. Upon inspection, I realised it was the blackened body of a very dead frog. It looked for all the world like it had been burnt. It was on its back, I think, legs stretched out. It was only a couple of inches long, legs included. Was this an instance of some sort of animal cruelty? Or do frogs occasionally go on fire in hot weather? I couldn't help thinking something occult was going on, but that was just my overactive imagination, I'm sure. Once was odd enough, but I saw another frog in the same state a little later that year in the same area. Anyone else ever seen something similar (not just in London)? Any explanations?

This was a few years ago now and I think about it more often than is probably warranted. But I was in the south London suburb, walking down an entirely normal road on a summer morning when I noticed something strange on the pavement a few steps ahead. Upon inspection, I realised it was the blackened body of a very dead frog. It looked for all the world like it had been burnt. It was on its back, I think, legs stretched out. It was only a couple of inches long, legs included. Was this an instance of some sort of animal cruelty? Or do frogs occasionally go on fire in hot weather? I couldn't help thinking something occult was going on, but that was just my overactive imagination, I'm sure. Once was odd enough, but I saw another frog in the same state a little later that year in the same area. Anyone else ever seen something similar (not just in London)? Any explanations?
A desiccated frog can look like that, if it was a decent way from water it could have just dried out trying to find its way to safety.
F6CB54E5-A17F-4E52-974C-3F2018FED1AB.jpeg

A desiccated frog can look like that, if it was a decent way from water it could have just dried out trying to find its way to safety.
View attachment 39083
Hmm. Yes, a possibility. It was completely black though. But still, could definitely be that. So are you saying I don't have to be worried about gangs of frog-burning occultists in the suburbs of south London?

Hmm. Yes, a possibility. It was completely black though. But still, could definitely be that. So are you saying I don't have to be worried about gangs of frog-burning occultists in the suburbs of south London?
Oh, not at all, you still need to be terrified of frog burning occultists in the suburbs of South London. Always.

Could it have hidden in a nice cold dark place that turned out to be a vehicle exhaust pipe?

Haven't seen one in a while, but I remember desiccated and blackened deceased frogs from when I was a kid. I doubt they'd stay still long enough for occultists to have sacrificed them.

So this is in London, right? Hmm.... are there any Chinese or French restaurants in the vicinityof where you saw these remains?

Frogs are a part of the national cuisine of both these countries (and maybe some others too).

So my money is on the frogs getting accidentally overcooked as a part of a preparation for a dish - and then being lobbed out of the window by an irate chef.

It was only a couple of inches long, legs included.

That strikes me as a very small frog. So, a baby presumably.

I think...a bird, or more likely a cat...grabbed it from a pond, messed it up, moved it around, killed it...summer morning, so presumably it had been sunny? It died, and dried...skin turned dark colour...

I encountered a similar-looking frog a number of years ago, on a path at a National Trust property - a shrivelled, very blackened husk with the back legs stretched out, as you describe.

I mentioned it to one of the garden staff, who told me that it had most likely been caught by a bird from one of the ponds in the gardens, then dropped by accident while the bird was flying away.

The impact was likely to have killed it, while the warmth of the direct sunlight on the stone path was liable to have dessicated it in a matter of hours.

Very odd, and certainly a little creepy. So I'd suggest that the frog in London might have also been the victim of a careless urban heron, rather than a macabre sacrifice by acolytes of the Great Croaker (other made-up amphibious deities are available).

So this is in London, right? Hmm.... are there any Chinese or French restaurants in the vicinityof where you saw these remains?

Frogs are a part of the national cuisine of both these countries (and maybe some others too).

So my money is on the frogs getting accidentally overcooked as a part of a preparation for a dish - and then being lobbed out of the window by an irate chef.
Yes, I much prefer this theory! Though in my limited experience of eating frog, they tend to be breaded and fried. It didn't look very breaded to me.

That strikes me as a very small frog. So, a baby presumably.

I think...a bird, or more likely a cat...grabbed it from a pond, messed it up, moved it around, killed it...summer morning, so presumably it had been sunny? It died, and dried...skin turned dark colour...
Yes, that sounds like the most plausible. I didn't realise that frogs could go completely black, as if they'd be literally burnt to a crisp. But it makes sense... I think? It had been fairly hot.

I encountered a similar-looking frog a number of years ago, on a path at a National Trust property - a shrivelled, very blackened husk with the back legs stretched out, as you describe.

I mentioned it to one of the garden staff, who told me that it had most likely been caught by a bird from one of the ponds in the gardens, then dropped by accident while the bird was flying away.

The impact was likely to have killed it, while the warmth of the direct sunlight on the stone path was liable to have dessicated it in a matter of hours.

Very odd, and certainly a little creepy. So I'd suggest that the frog in London might have also been the victim of a careless urban heron, rather than a macabre sacrifice by acolytes of the Great Croaker (other made-up amphibious deities are available).

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to a) find one and b) think it extremely creepy - indeed, creepy enough to mention it to our friends at the NT. I suppose I am still a little surprised (I'm no naturalist) that dessication can take what looked to me to be such an extreme form. Utterly blackened and "burnt".

Perhaps the Great Croaker was pleased after all, if S/He is the Frog God of south London herons. Which is fairly likely.

I didn't realise that frogs could go completely black, as if they'd be literally burnt to a crisp. But it makes sense... I think? It had been fairly hot.

Well me neither...I'm far from an expert on frog biology...or the rather esoteric subject of what happens to a small, dead frog on concrete with a hot sun on it. I missed that particular class. But it seems the most likely possiblity.

Occam's razor.

Saw a dead toad in my front garden once and it was a biggie. It looked almost the same as a live one, but also looked like solid rubber, really hard to describe what I mean - very odd. I don't remember what time of year it was, but this thing was as big as they get. I think I made husband move it.

I used to live in Sheffield, and there was a footpath that everyone called 'Frog Walk' between Eccleshall Road and Sharrow Vale. Periodically this footpath would be invaded by hundreds of small frogs, which lived in the Snuff Mill pond and seemed to suffer occasional population fluctuations which caused them to spread out over the footpath and die (often by being trodden on). After a while the dead frogs could dry out, and they often kinda looked burnt at that point.

Monty Python cult preparing "crunchy frog"?

I used to live in Sheffield, and there was a footpath that everyone called 'Frog Walk' between Eccleshall Road and Sharrow Vale. Periodically this footpath would be invaded by hundreds of small frogs, which lived in the Snuff Mill pond and seemed to suffer occasional population fluctuations which caused them to spread out over the footpath and die (often by being trodden on). After a while the dead frogs could dry out, and they often kinda looked burnt at that point.

Nominative determinism. Perhaps the frogs knew this and where leaving to escape certain death, only to be squished on the footpath? Oh the irony!

Back