• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Buzz Aldrin & The Phobos Monolith

A single, nickel iron crystal, blasted from the slowly frozen core of an ancient planet? Perhaps, part of the same disintegrated planet from which Phobos itself originated? Almost matching velocities, the smaller object tumbled, at a reasonably leisurely pace, into the larger and half buried itself?

And how exactly does it manage that travelling at the same speed with no gravity to help it? Phobos made of cheese?

Bigfoot73 said:
And how exactly does it manage that travelling at the same speed with no gravity to help it? Phobos made of cheese?
Everything that has mass has its own gravity. Enough gravity, given enough time. ;)

More likely than alien artifact, anyway.

Also, at those sort of magnifications, pixilation creates a whole other order of artifactuality.

I'm going for, anomaly of an angular, but natural, nature. Until facts prove otherwise.

Pietro Mercurius:- the Russians are planning a third Phobos probe, which should decide it. wonder how long it will be before Buzz gets on a roll about the plethora of anomalies on Mars itself. Hmmmm....

Richard C. Hoagland (born April 25, 1945) is an author, a speaker and the founder of an independent initiative called The Enterprise Mission[1].

Claims from his personal biography[2] and publication[3] include having been curator for a science museum in Springfield Massachusetts at age 19 in the mid-60s, and of having worked as a NASA Consultant to the Goddard Spaceflight Center in the post-Apollo era[4], and science advisor to CBS News during the Apollo Missions to the Moon. Hoagland does not claim to have formal scientific training.

His writings claim that advanced civilizations exist or once existed on the moon, Mars and on some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and that NASA and the United States government have conspired to keep these facts secret. He has advocated his ideas in two published books, several videotapes,[5] lectures,[6] documentaries,[7][unreliable source?][8][verification needed] interviews,[9][10] and press conferences.[11] He has submitted material to a NASA-sponsored public interest outreach[12], but his views have never been published in peer-reviewed journals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Hoagland
A maverick who sees alien fingerprints almost anywhere, but to me it seems that he cries "Wolf!" so often that most people cease to pay attention.

Now there are bound to be anomalies found in space research - there'd be no point doing the research if everything came up exactly as we expected - but to jump on them all with a preconceived 'alien' explanation only clouds the issue. (For a more prosaic view of Iapetus, see Wiki...)

It may well be that a few of the odd rocks that Hoagland bangs on about really are evidence of aliens (I certainly hope so!), but until we get definitive proof I'm keeping my options open.

The same with the obelisk on Phobos - it may be an alien construct (which would count as perhaps the greatest discovery ever), or it may just be an unusual shard of a fragmented asteroid that just happened to freakishly impale itself into another asteroid.

In a very big and very old universe, almost anything that can possibly happen probably has happened, somewhere. 8)

Bigfoot73 said:
Eburacum: I'm not sure the utterly shameful video is the one i saw, which was an extract from a documentary I watched in full when first broadcast. Aldrin tells, with Apollo/Houston dialogue played in support, how they asked Houston where S4 was, only to be told it was thousands of miles away and receding fast . The interview didn't look chopped around and he went on to assert that the thing followed other Apollo missions too.
That will be the one where he explained in detail what the object was, one of the four doors from the top of the S IV-B stage which shielded the LM during takeoff. Aldrin explained exactly what it was, but the documentary makers cut his explanation completely. That was utterly reprehensible, but a typical ploy used by people who make UFO documentaries.

Aldrin was very angry about this omission, by the way.

And yes, each Apollo was followed by these panels, although after the Apollo 11 debriefing they knew what they were and deliberately avoided them.

Bigfoot73 said:
As for the boulder issue: if it's a boulder it's the biggest on Phobos by a long way, there aren't any others anywhere near as big. Other objects are far smaller and rounded.The column/pyramid does not fit the geological context. How does a 15 mile-by ten captured asteroid i.e. rock come up with the sort of geological processes that create boulders?
I have given one probable mechanism in an earlier post.

Phobos has many craters; the largest, Stickney, is almost as large as as the moon itself. When an object hits Phobos it will always leave a crater, because of the large differences in velocity between random object in space -except where the object originates from a collision on the surface of Phobos itself. This fragment was thrown out from an impact - quite possibly Stickney- and hit the surface at a relatively slow ballistic speed.

There are plenty of weird things on Phobos, apart from these odd boulders; the surface is covered in grooves and crater chains which also originate from Stickney, and which suggest to me that the object was almost split into pieces by the impact. But even weirder objects orbit some of the other planets- look at Iapetus, for instance, or Hyperion
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/m ... assini.jpg

Aldrin is right; we must go and investigate these objects, and who knows - we might find something extraterrestrial- a Bracewell probe, perhaps.

Here are a few images of other boulders in the vicinity, including their shadows; the 'monolith' is the last one on the right.
monoliths.png

Some estimates of this object's height rely on an incidence angle of 46 degrees, but that seems to be unreliable. As you can see, the shadow length of each boulder is considerably longer than it is wide, which suggests that the incident angle of the sunlight is considerably less than 46 degrees.

Although this is a large boulder, it is not phenomenally tall, assuming that the shadow length is a measure of anything. Much of the time it appears that the shadow length depends on whether the terrain behind the object is convex or concave.

Most of the fuss seems to be connected with a white edge on the area supposedly in shadow behind the 'monolith' , which is interpreted as a vertical face; instead it might be a horizontal feature, extending behind the boulder, of which we can only see a tiny fraction.

But we would need another image at similar resolution taken at a different angle to determine the facts. Perhaps one already exists. If not, I'm sure we'll get one eventually.

A maverick who sees alien fingerprints almost anywhere, but to me it seems that he cries "Wolf!" so often that most people cease to pay attention.

Otherwise known as Richard Hoaxland!

The only I reason I am interested in this 'boulder' is because Buzz Aldrin mentioned it, otherwise I would have written it off as just another funny shaped rock. It may well be a funny shaped rock but it could be also be that the 2nd man on the moon knows something and we are being buttered up for a gradual disclosure by the finding of monoliths or other structures. Then they will say, 'o there is intelligent life out there, we have proof now, but its ok, dont worry, it was long ago, their structures have been abandoned.' :lol:

azuredoor said:
we are being buttered up for a gradual disclosure by the finding of monoliths or other structures. Then they will say, 'o there is intelligent life out there, we have proof now, but its ok, dont worry, it was long ago, their structures have been abandoned.' :lol:

Okay, let me explain something to you, and to all "NASA knows about aliens" folks how funding with public money works in America.

You tell the American public: "We are going to use your tax dollars to educate your children, provide safe playgrounds, maintain public parks and wilderness areas, remediate pollution, pay police and firemen and teachers good enough wages to attract viable numbers of these public servants, feed indigent children, cure illness, and discover the wonders of the universe." They say: "Get your filthy greedy paws out of my pocket."

You tell the American public: "There's a nebulous threat out there that will blow us up if we don't blow them up first!" They say: "Here's a check. I already signed it; you fill out the amount."

If NASA thought an alien presence existed and that mass panic would be the result of people knowing that, they'd have it on the front page and in front of Congress faster than you can say "People are a superstitious and cowardly lot." If an alien presence existed, it would be interpreted as a possible threat, and NASA would be funded at a military level, i.e. far more than any sane market would bear.

The reason NASA hasn't revealed that Aliens are Out There is that they haven't found any evidence of Aliens Out There. It is to their credit as an agency that they haven't manufactured any in order to balance the books better.

If NASA thought an alien presence existed and that mass panic would be the result of people knowing that, they'd have it on the front page and in front of Congress faster than you can say "People are a superstitious and cowardly lot." If an alien presence existed, it would be interpreted as a possible threat, and NASA would be funded at a military level, i.e. far more than any sane market would bear.

At least we agree on government cynicism! :lol:

But seriously, people who are so cynical cannot be trusted. I would be surprised if they didnt know about aliens but it could be that they dont know anything more than the fact that are active. Do you seriously think they would ever dream of announcing to the world that there are aliens and all that stuff about abductions is probably true? :D

Eburacum also mentioned Iapetus, and the Cassini images (with or without R. Hoagland's interpretations) are well worth a look.

And there's one on Mars too!

Buzz Aldrin stokes the mystery of the monolith on Mars
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:01 AM on 05th August 2009

An image of what appears to be a mysterious rocky monument on Mars has excited space junkies around the world.
The 'monolith', was snapped from 165miles away using a special high resolution camera on board the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
After being published on the website Lunar Explorer Italia, it set tongues wagging with space buffs questioning whether there was once life on the Red Planet.

But scientists at the University of Arizona, who captured the original image, reckon it's just an unremarkable boulder, which could measure up to five metres across.

Yisrael Spinoza, a spokesman for the HiRISE department of the university's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, gave Mail Online the original image so readers can make up their own minds.

He said: 'It would be unwise to refer to it as a "monolith" or "structure" because that implies something artificial, like it was put there by someone for example.

From further away: The circled area show where the rectangular feature was discovered
'In reality it's more likely that this boulder has been created by breaking away from the bedrock to create a rectangular-shaped feature.'

The image seems to resemble the black monolith that appears during key moments of man's evolution in the Stanley Kubrick film 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The original image, taken last July, was published again this week on the University of Arizona's HiRISE website on the 'spotlight' page which seems to have led to the renewed interest.
'Is it possible that there used to be an ancient civilization on Mars?' former Montreal radio presenter David Tyler asked on his blog.
'Is it possible that NASA already knows the answer? Could this be the final straw for disclosure?'

But speaking about the satellite picture scientist Alfred McEwen, the principal investigator from the University of Arizona's HiRISE department, said: 'There are lots of rectangular boulders on Earth and Mars and other planets.
'Layering from rock deposition combined with tectonic fractures creates right-angle planes of weakness such that rectangular blocks tend to weather out and separate from the bedrock.'

Fuel was added to the flames after Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the Moon, alluded to a similar monolith detected on Mars' moon Phobos.
Speaking on a U.S. cable television channel last week he said: 'We should visit the moons of Mars.

'There's a monolith there - a very unusual structure on this little potato shaped object that goes around Mars once every seven hours.
'When people find out about that they are going to say, "Who put that there? Who put that there?" Well the universe put it there, or if you choose God put it there.'

In 2007 the Canadian Space Agency funded a study for an unmanned mission to Phobos known as PRIME (Phobos Reconnaissance and International Mars Exploration).

The building-sized monolith is the main proposed landing site but not because scientists suspect UFO activity. They believe the object is a boulder exposed relatively recently in an otherwise featureless area of the asteroid-like moon.
PRIME investigator Dr Alan Hildebrand said it could answer questions about the moon's composition and history.
'If we can get to that object, we likely don’t need to go anywhere else,' he told his science team.

The fact it seems to resemble a rectangular monument could be due to simulacra. This is where humans see familar images in random surroundings such as the famous 'Face of Mars', which is actually just a hilly and cratered area.
Links:

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_009342_1725

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... olved.html

Anybody interested in Martian monoliths could do worse than finding the MOC image MO1 - 02950. this shows a cluster of 3-sided pyramids, all the same size and equally spaced, seemingly part of a larger formation of concentric rings.
I'd like to know what Buzz thinks of this lot!

i think its wishful thinking on behalf of the whoos. it all looks like natural *space* geographical debris and formations to me and probably the majority.

The monolith appears to be half way down a cliff, which seems a strange place to site something artificial.I don't think the pyramids pic could be described as natural geography.What, pray tell, is a whoo?

Bigfoot73 said:
Anybody interested in Martian monoliths could do worse than finding the MOC image MO1 - 02950. this shows a cluster of 3-sided pyramids, all the same size and equally spaced, seemingly part of a larger formation of concentric rings.
I'd like to know what Buzz thinks of this lot!

They look more round than three sided. I think if you photographed these from orbit, the effect would be rather similar

cappadocia_pasa.jpg

BTW for "whoo" the poster means woo-woo: a person readily accepting supernatural, paranormal, occult, or pseudoscientific phenomena, or emotion-based beliefs and explanations.

And some known pyramids for comparative purposes; Earthling Pyramids

Last edited by a moderator:
The resolution of the pic isn't very good I must admit, but it's the basic shape, eqal size and spacing that intrigue me.
Those mushroom things are weird! However I think that if they were on Mars the shadows would be different.
Thanks for the woo-woo definition. Naturally I wish to disassociate myself.

I think you'll find that those 'pyramids' are artifacts of the imaging process, rather than real pyramids- although the dominant form of erosion on Mars is wind (aeolian) erosion and this can form some pretty wierd forms amd structures without any help from intelligence.

Buzz Aldrin in the past said we must go to Mars and then to its moon Phobos to unlock the mysteries of the the universe.

On Phobos, the Mars Global Surveyor in 1998 found a monolith on Phobos 279 feet across and 300 feet tall.

Buzz Aldrin said this monolith on Phobos is the key to what we seek.

NASA claims this is just a rock.

Buzz Aldrin in the past said we must go to Mars and then to its moon Phobos to unlock the mysteries of the the universe.

On Phobos, the Mars Global Surveyor in 1998 found a monolith on Phobos 279 feet across and 300 feet tall.

Aliens must have been busy on Earth, because here is a partial list of ‘em that includes over seventy.

As l was born on one of them, does that make me an alien artefact?

;)

maximus otter

Could you please provide a source for this claim?

The Mars Monolith actually does look like a monolith. It seems to be rectangular.
The_Mars_Monolith.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posing Phobos monolith pictures, and this object is different from the landscape as you can see.

Phobos is in a decaying orbit around Mars and only 3,700 miles from Mars’ surface.

During President Eisenhower term, his science adviser, Fred Singer, warned Eisenhower that Phobos was an alien base and satellite.

So, is Phobos artificial?

Back