• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cables From The Sky

I've merged Mercury Crest's query Thread about 'Strange 'Chords' hanging from the Sky,' with this Thread.

Every time I come across this story, I have to wonder, have they something to do with 'sky hooks'?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Every time I come across this story, I have to wonder, have they something to do with 'sky hooks'?

And for the uninitiated they would be...? :)

akaWiintermoon said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
And for the uninitiated they would be...? :)
Several meanings, according to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_hook

The one I first thought of was this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_sur ... ery_system
In Thunderball (1965) film, the sky-hook system is used at the end to pick up Bond and Domino from a life raft.

SkyHooks were a very popular Australian Rock Band of the 70s and early 80s...

Well, I am sure everyone here wanted to know that. And I need a holiday. :rol:

And for the uninitiated they would be...?

It's an old joke: if you were asked to go and fetch a sky hook, you probably would also be asked to look around for some tartan paint and a long weight, too.

IRRC, some Native American creation myths use a sky rope theme. In that, the sky was attached to the earth by a rope or vice versa. Beings would variously climb up and down them.

Reminds me of the spongebob episode where people are fishing, and spongebob and the other charachters jump on the hooks for a free ride, then jumo off, lol

MercuryCrest:

Apologies if you have already been told about this, but the semi-recent season on Medieval topics on BBC4 had, in the episode on Medievel Knowledge (I think): Inside the Medieval mind, as well as discussions of dog headed men and other Fortean oddities,

The sky-line story was about a group of parishioners, circa 1200, in some part of England who were astounished to see a ships anchor complete with chain coming straight down from the sky entangle with their church. Then a 'sky-sailor' appeared climbing down the chain (no explanation why, maybe get the anchor untangled???). When he got to the bottom, the aforementioned parishioners jumped him and held him down, whereupon he died, as he could not breath the dense air that was present at ground level. I suppose a bit like we can not breath at the bottom of the ocean.

I forget completely exactly where this story comes from, I think its a monks chronicle of happenings. You can access, at least parts of the show at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/medieval/mind.shtml, if you dare use BBC iplayer...

Certainly shunts back a few years the origin of lines coming from the sky...

There are two remarkably similar tales of anchors from the sky. Both involve churches and sky-men descending an anchor rope. One centres on the Irish town of Cloera; the other comes from Gervase of Tilbury's Otis Imperiala and is based in Gravesend, Kent. IIRC the Kent anchor is still on display somewhere!

The anchor tale was again recycled in American newpaper reports of the 1897 airship flap: this time the anchor gets snared in a railroad track at Merkel, Texas. The anchor was available for inspection at a local blacksmith's shop, which tends to root the tale in commerce and publicity.

The anchor tales are all florid, involving the repulsion of an aerial invader but the stories of cables are very modern and existential: we are all left dangling, like the cables themselves. Very Antonioni. :)

Weird NJ on the case :
http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28
(See linked page for a scan of short newspaper blurb on the issue)

12/03/03 Trolling the Skies Over Caldwell for Mystery Thread
Here’s a little update to a story we've previously published about the town of Caldwell’s most famous weird occurrence. Weird NJ readers are probably already familiar with the story of the Caldwell Mystery Thread, a silvery line that was suspended for days over a house at 85 Forest Ave. back in 1970. Neither the police nor local townsfolk who came to see it after being reported in the Caldwell Progress could figure out what it was or where it was coming from. Hundreds of curiosity seekers converged on the area. Whatever the material was made of, or where it came from, was never solved.

Eventually a group of neighborhood kids managed to snag the Mystery Thread out of the sky by casting a fishing line up to it. The thread was pulled down from the heavens, buckets full of it, and sent off to Dupont for analysis. But the company could not determine its origins.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Mark Sceurman and I were in Denville at the Rattle Snake Ranch for an appearance on a live broadcast of Rob Moorhead's Big Greasy Breakfast radio program on WDHA-FM. We were hanging out in the bar drinking coffee (yes coffee--it was 7:30 am), when a man named Jeff, who appeared to be about forty, approached us to offer his compliments on the magazine.

"Thanks a lot," we said, then asked him, "so what's weird where you live?"

"Nothing!" He replied, adding, "You don't know any good stories about Caldwell, do you?"

"Well, there was that mysterious thread hanging from the sky back in 1970," we offered.

"Oh my God! I was one of the kids who pulled that thread down out of the sky! I haven't thought about that in years!" He said excitedly.

Of course we didn't believe him for a second, not at first anyway. But then we quizzed him on his knowledge of the event and his story all added up. He was the right age to have been about eleven years old at the time of the incident in question. He knew the exact address of the house the thread hung over, and the names of the people who lived there at the time.

"I grew up on Forest Ave., just up the street from that house," he said. "My mother still lives there. After the thread was hanging there for about a week, attracting all kinds of crowds, me and my buddies decided to pull it down. I got a fishing rod and just kept casting until we snagged it from mid air over the house. When we got a hold of it we just kept pulling and it just kept on coming down out of nowhere. Then it stopped and we found the end. There wasn't anything holding it from the other end, it was just coming out of nowhere! They took it from us and sent it off to some lab somewhere for testing and that's the last any of us ever heard about it. Jeez, now I wish I had saved some of it for a souvenir!"

And this guy didn't think there was anything weird about Caldwell. Just goes to show you--sometimes you can be so close to something that you don't recognize it for the weird thing that it is. In other words, sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees. Or, in this case, Forest Ave. through the threads.
- Mark M.

Do you have a story about something unexplained that you'd like to share?
If you do then please e-mail us at: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

You can read more about the Mystery Thread in our book and in issue #8 of the magazine.

JamesWhitehead said:
There are two remarkably similar tales of anchors from the sky. Both involve churches and sky-men descending an anchor rope. One centres on the Irish town of Cloera; the other comes from Gervase of Tilbury's Otis Imperiala and is based in Gravesend, Kent. IIRC the Kent anchor is still on display somewhere!

I wouldn't mind going to have a look at that anchor. Any idea where it is on display?

Can't locate the reference right now but will try and find out later. It's always possible that my memory was playing me false. :)

Okay, it's been a long time, but I've just run across a couple of stories here on "Lines or cables hanging down from the sky" in a book by Jim Brandon called "Weird America".

A case in Elberton, Georgia, gives the same citation mentioned earlier in Pursuit Magazine, Vol. 5, #3, (July 1972), p. 53. But it also mentions the source Ivan Sanderson references in that article...the Atlantic Journal, June 11, 1972.

I'm going to see if the library can order that on microfilm/fiche. I'll print, then scan the original article for all to see.

The other incident mentioned was in Caldwell, New Jersey. The Progress, August 6, 1970. Also mentioned was INFO Journal, no. 7 (Fall-Winter, 1970), pp. 11-12, quoting a letter from John A. Keel, August, 1970.

I'm not sure if my library can get a hold of either the Atlantic Journal or The Progress, but I'll sure as hell try.

Alas, my library system can get neither of those papers. Anyone else have any hints to find them?

MercuryCrest said:
... A case in Elberton, Georgia, gives the same citation mentioned earlier in Pursuit Magazine, Vol. 5, #3, (July 1972), p. 53. But it also mentions the source Ivan Sanderson references in that article...the Atlantic Journal, June 11, 1972.

I can't find any records for an "Atlantic Journal" published during the early 1970's.

However ... Since the case was in Georgia, could the reference have possibly been to the Atlanta Journal (aka Atlanta Journal and Constitution)?

A summary of the Caldwell incident can be found on page 76 of _Weird N. J._, by Mark Sceurman and Mark Moran.

Google Books offers a view of this page online at:

http://tinyurl.com/2v7vvoa

This excerpt gives a variant version of the Caldwell incident's finale as well as a cursory citation of the Greensburg incident ...

Repetition makes any phenomenon more interesting. In thesummer of 1970, a silver thread, or wire, appeared in the skyover the home of Mr and Mrs A.P. Smith of 85 Forest Avenue,Caldwell, New Jersey. It hung there, as though suspended fromsome invisible supports, throughout the month of August, tothe bafflement of the Smiths, their neighbours, and the localpolice. A few days after the thread's first appearance, thelocal newspaper reported:

It looks rigid, as if it were a wire, not a string. It appears silver when the sunlight strikes it. On Monday it hung about 150 feet above the houses on Forest Avenue and Hillside Avenue. By Tuesday, it seemed limper to Mrs Smith and other observers, as if one of its ends — wherever that is — had loosened. It also seemed lower in the sky.

The Caldwell police tried to trace it on Monday, found signs of it up Hillside and down towards West Caldwell, but lost it in the clouds before tracking down the origins. They looked again on Tuesday with the same nebulous results.

The silver thread's provenance remained a mystery; the bestexplanation the locals could proffer was that it was a line thathad fallen from the Goodyear blimp as it passed over the town.But the thread just hung there, day after day, long enough forthe noted investigator Berthold Schwarz to visit the Smiths andconfirm its presence. On the afternoon of 31 August, the familyheard a loud explosion, or sonic boom, and shortly afterwardsnoticed that the line had fallen to earth and was now lying onthe ground outside their home. Mrs Smith phoned the police,who arrived and took the thread away. It proved to be a stiff,translucent nylon fishing line.

Whatever its significance, however, this eccentric story is notunique. In September 1978 a car worker named John Wrightsaw something snagging a bush behind his home in Greensburg,Ohio. It was fishing line, trailing off into the sky, andhe hauled in a single length of about 1000 feet of it, enough tofill eight reels. At that point the line snapped and the remainderfloated off into the sky until it was lost to view.

SOURCE: http://tinyurl.com/25ospc8

This is an online excerpt of Chapter One from:

Borderlands: The Ultimate Exploration of the Unknown (Pocketbook)
Author: Mike Dash
ISBN: 9780440236566
Publisher: Dell Publishing Company
Publish Date: 12/1/2000

A fascinating topic. I am immediately reminded of a presentation I watched, perhaps at University of York, by the Captain of a (then) C&W owned cable-laying ship. He plyed the seven seas in a massive vessel that had, as its sole purpose in life, a mission to be at the other end of suspended threads that plunged from great height down to the world below.

Whilst these were no spider-spun tendrils, but instead thick impervious hoses of intercommunication, the similiarity of the relative scales and the para-celestial bridging makes for such a resonant comparison (more by analogy than as solution: but anything is possible)

We were shown, during Captain Cable's magic lantern show, photos and diagrams of the sea floor that unwillingly received a line of dangled contact from the skies above. Paths of drop were constantly calculated to take account of undersea Everests and canyons, dips, cliffs and edges all unseen to the human eye. Distances in a straight line at surface level were exceeded literally by miles, whilst this amazing subsea suspension was being drooped into place.

His description of the task being like "a hot air balloonist on a suspended unicycle, depositing a continuous strand around the world, a globe of winding string" has always reminded me so much of these strangely-similar sky-lines.

I don't quite get why those cables came down from above. Wouldn't most cable-laying ships just have the cables stored onboard?

They do. I think Ermintrude was trying to compare cable-laying ships which have the cable descending to the depths of the oceans where it would seem to be the same as a mysterious cable coming down from the skies above us.

They do. I think Ermintrude was trying to compare cable-laying ships which have the cable descending to the depths of the oceans where it would seem to be the same as a mysterious cable coming down from the skies above us.
^ This. Only as a simile, not explanation.

That does make more sense.

As I wrote in this thread:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/where-has-all-the-forteana-gone.24523/

In the Bord's "Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th century" I still found a few surprising items. For example: "strange lines which stretched up into the sky in three American locations in the 1970's - in one case the line remained taut for a month, but the supporting end in the sky remained invisible - even through powerful binoculars". This still sends a shiver down my spine.

Yeah, I remember reading stuff like that a long time ago.
Completely unexplainable.

They are likely zip wires for alien invasion troops to glide down on.

Space elevators need to be made of something stronger than 'stiff,translucent nylon fishing line'. But I suppose that only the bottom-most couple of kilometers need be made of nylon.

Space elevators need to be made of something stronger than 'stiff,translucent nylon fishing line'.
Was it nylon? Or stiff, translucent monatomic diamond?

Back