• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Campanology Leads To Punch Up

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Fight breaks out at campanology competition at small Devon village

Key Section:

"This man, in his late 60s, came in complaining about a bell-ringer's car being parked across his drive. He started demanding to know whose car it was and when it transpired it was one of the team-members who was actually ringing at that moment in the tower, he attempted to storm it.

"He had to be restrained from forcing his way into the tower and dragging the car owner out. He refused to even wait for a few minutes.

"It was a shocking sight. He was shouting and swearing, grown men were thumping each other, children were upset and crying.

"Then when he was held back he went and sat on the floor, refusing to move, swearing and shouting about the bell-ringing, complaining about the noise."

[...]

"Our group secretary tried to stop him and he was grabbed around the throat. Two or three other men stepped in and stopped him. He had to be dragged out and when he got outside the front door, kicking and screaming he just sat down on the floor. He wasn't going to get up and sat there swearing, shouting abuse at everybody, complaining about the bells.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ne...NkOLXrJA6O6l8RRv5LjPgSIWJwrD36nJ3NHdZzhnWbKII

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the poor man may have problems, and that's why he flipped.

I have a church next door to me. The bell only rings for ten minutes every other week though. And Dennis has to stop every so often during that ringing, because he gets tired, but it still catches me by surprise every now and then.

Fight breaks out at campanology competition at small Devon village

Key Section:

"This man, in his late 60s, came in complaining about a bell-ringer's car being parked across his drive. He started demanding to know whose car it was and when it transpired it was one of the team-members who was actually ringing at that moment in the tower, he attempted to storm it.

"He had to be restrained from forcing his way into the tower and dragging the car owner out. He refused to even wait for a few minutes.

"It was a shocking sight. He was shouting and swearing, grown men were thumping each other, children were upset and crying.

"Then when he was held back he went and sat on the floor, refusing to move, swearing and shouting about the bell-ringing, complaining about the noise."

[...]

"Our group secretary tried to stop him and he was grabbed around the throat. Two or three other men stepped in and stopped him. He had to be dragged out and when he got outside the front door, kicking and screaming he just sat down on the floor. He wasn't going to get up and sat there swearing, shouting abuse at everybody, complaining about the bells.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ne...NkOLXrJA6O6l8RRv5LjPgSIWJwrD36nJ3NHdZzhnWbKII

What a bell-end.

Noss Mayo is a fabulous name for a village :)

If anyone hasn't read Dorothy Sayers's 1934 book The Nine Taylors then do it now!

Back