Can Anyone Identify This Spider?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
She's been living at the apex of my conservatory for a few months and pops out every so often (like tonight).

I know this isn't your standard domestic spider.
Not a false widow is it?

PSX_20181220_210842.jpg

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Thanks guys. Thought so.
One fact file on false widows states "A favourite home for the false widow spider is the niche at the top of a conservatory or a greenhouse because of the trapped heat."

I've been ordered to remove her, or my wife will get the long-handled mop and squish her.
Will get my step ladder later, try to catch her in a glass and transfer her to our shed at the bottom of the garden.
Looks like there's an egg sac in the web behind her, so I guess I'd better remove that too, as I wouldn't want dozens of little widows scampering about the house.

Last edited:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Careful with the little bugger a bit can sometimes be a bit nasty.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Careful with the little bugger a bit can sometimes be a bit nasty.
Seems to be conflicting info on that.
Some sites claim the widow's bite is no worse than a wasp sting, but others warn that it is the most venomous indigenous UK spider and bites may cause a degree of anaphylaxis and even have a necrotising affect.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
First attempt to catch 'Elvira' failed miserably.
There I was, teetering on my stepladder, pint glass at the ready.
I approached with stealth. My prey looked inert.
It was only when in close proximity to this fearsome arachnid that I realised how far her rather messy web extended.
The lip of my glass brushed a strand of web in front of and maybe 4 inches below our 8-legged friend.
With a remarkable turn of speed, she pirouetted and darted into the hole behind her.
Now, 30 minutes later, she hasn't emerged, but I can just make out a leg or two at the entrance, flipping me what must be the spidery equivalent of the V-sign.

Will try again later. Have to take the wife Christmas shopping now (but, personally, would rather be catching spiders).

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
You could just leave it alone, the chances of it biting you are probably almost zero. Negligible really. Unless of course you annoy it and then it will get you in your sleep. Tonight probably.
Or tomorrow. It's got to climb the stairs. Or a drainpipe...

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
I caught a Steatoda grossa in my shed a few years a go, with an egg sac. She lived happily off crickets and the egg sac was viable. Sold 50 false widows at £3 each

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Should have posted an update.
Managed to catch her in a pint glass 3 days ago. She looked like she'd fainted, lying on the bottom of the glass with her legs curled up. Tipped her out gently onto the roof of my shed at the bottom of the garden.
Removed all the untidy web, including a lump, which may have been an egg sac, and blocked the hole with Pollyfiller.
Feel a bit guilty about evicting "Elvira" after she'd made her home here a few months back, but really didn't want dozens of false widows throughout the house.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
I caught a Steatoda grossa in my shed a few years a go, with an egg sac. She lived happily off crickets and the egg sac was viable. Sold 50 false widows at £3 each
Just curious - was that a job lot or were there 50 people wanting to buy a cupboard spider ?

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Just curious - was that a job lot or were there 50 people wanting to buy a cupboard spider ?
It was at an invert show :D so spider nuts bought them! There was a time you could actually sell the false widows pretty quick but as they're really easy to breed demand for them dropped to 0