• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can Mother Nature Produce A Convincing Pyramid?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Hardly a week goes by without some lurid pseudo-science story about the discovery of ancient pyramids where conventional history tells us they should not exist.

From Antarctica ...

icepyramid.jpeg

To Bosnia ...

Bosnia_Pyramid.jpg
To the Atlantic ocean off The Azores...

http://www.abzu2.com/tag/underwater-pyramid/

and even on Mars...

Mars_Pyramid.jpg

There certainly seems to be something about the pyramid that has a primeval and visceral appeal to us and maybe we just want to see pyramids where only natural structures exist. But, with the exception of the Martian one, I would have thought it would be reasonably easy to establish whether any of the others are artificial or natural features. Hence my question - can natural processes create a convincing pyramidal structure?

Any views?
Any other interesting candidates for possibly man-made (or indeed alien-made!) pyramids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive pic! But we're talking of crystalline structures just a few centimetres wide there. That would seem to be on too small a scale to be confused with a genuine pyramid (although I have no indication of the scale on the Martian pic).

Impressive pic! But we're talking of crystalline structures just a few centimetres wide there. That would seem to be on too small a scale to be confused with a genuine pyramid (although I have no indication of the scale on the Martian pic).

The issue of scale is quite relevant here ... At a micro- or mini-scale level, natural processes can generate geometric shapes of equal or greater 'perfection' than human hands can achieve. This is because relevant processes _within_ these smaller objects (e.g., molecular alignment in crystalline patterns) are exceedingly regularized by definition.

At the far more 'macro' scale of large landforms, the resulting shape is determined not by such intrinsic or innate characteristics, but rather by extrinsic factors (e.g., erosion). In addition to purely natural erosion, such extrinsic shaping may also result from human activities ranging from the decidedly deliberate (e.g., stacking stone blocks according to plan) to the relatively passive (e.g., clearing hillside pasture land, which livestock will typically 'smooth out' over decades and centuries).

It is relatively easy to categorize a landform / structure as artificial if you can see it's been 'built' or 'constructed' by deliberate action. This applies to termite mounds as well as Egyptian pyramids. It's more difficult to ascertain whether non-constructed such forms have resulted from deliberate shaping applied to a natural object.

It seems the most difficult assessment for homo-centric humans to embrace is that a macro-scale natural object can obtain a notably regular (symmetrical, uniform, whatever ... ) shape untouched by human hands.

"In addition to purely natural erosion, such extrinsic shaping may also result from human activities"

Good point, which immediately made me think of le Mont St Michel;

le-mont-st-michel.jpg

In one early pseudo-science book I read back in the 80's - might have been a Hancock, it was claimed that the medieval structures had been built on an already ancient man-made pyramid.

Another point that should be considered ...

Allegedly artificial macro-scale landforms are typically popularized and promoted with images. An image is a 2D representation of a 3D object. It's no big feat to take a photo of X (X = mountain, hill, rock spire, etc.) from an angle that suggests a pyramid.

The really big deal is demonstrating that the pictured object exhibits the suggested form from all angles. If you can find photos of allegedly pyramidal landforms other than the most popularized ones taken from that one 'magic angle', it often becomes clear the object appears pyramidal only from one or more specific angles, and it isn't even remotely pyramidal as a whole.

Another good point - which made me think of this sculpture, which is only truly impressive from a certain angle!

View attachment 2524

Exactly ... It's a wonder nobody (to my knowledge) has blog-flogged this sculpture the way some have promoted local hills as ancient pyramids - e.g., in this case as a recreation of an ancient alien trans-dimensional portal.

Here's another example of something that's impressive from a certain angle ...

SOURCE: https://www.flickr.com/photos/toufeeque/329004052

I believe this is a narrowly-framed (or maybe cropped) photo of one of the jagged outcrops / sub-peaks of K2.

I've never been able to locate the near-perfect pyramid this photo suggests in any wider-angle or aerial photo of its presumed locale.

Attachments

• 329004052_5d6c0551dd_o.jpg
    329004052_5d6c0551dd_o.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Jim
You can get a decent 3-sided pyramid due to wind erosion.

Exactly ... It's a wonder nobody (to my knowledge) has blog-flogged this sculpture the way some have promoted local hills as ancient pyramids - e.g., in this case as a recreation of an ancient alien trans-dimensional portal.
Now you've done it, I expect there will be web pages proclaiming the trans-dimensional portal to start appearing within the week.

The SATAF website hasn't been updated since sometime around 2015.

SATAF's active online presence seems to be limited to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Satellite-Archaeology-Foundation-Inc-353421078108035/

This more recent article doesn't add much, but does feature the Google Earth images of the plateau with the pyramid-like mounds in the Faiyum Desert that is compared to the Giza complex:

mounds.png

mounds2.png

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...mid-found-google-earth-giza-plateau-cairo-spt

This works the other way too, I have visited plenty of Mesoamerican pyramids across Guatemala and Mexico, and a few in El Salvador and Honduras. Genuine pyramids, after centuries of abandonment, look like natural hills. There have been at least two different cases where what I believed to be natural hills covered in pine forest that I passed intermittently for many years turned out to be pyramids (one small, one medium sized).

Back