• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can Someone Die Laughing?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Worth a thread of its own. This is from the Garudian Notes & Queries 5/1/5:
Has anyone ever literally died laughing?

Forgive the paraphrasing and extracting of chunks of text, but in The Book of Lists 2 (Wallechinsky, Wallace I, Wallace A, & Wallace S -Corgi 1981) there is a section devoted to deaths where excessive laughter appeared to be at least the primary cause. These included Zeuxis, a fifth century BC Greek painter who laughed so hard at a painting he'd done of an old woman, he choked to death; the Greek poet Philemon who died in 263BC laughing at one of his own jests; and Chrysippus, a Greek (are we seeing a pattern here?) philosopher in the third century BC who died laughing at the sight of a donkey eating figs (I guess one had to be there).

Then there was Pietro Aretino, an Italian author (1492 -1556) who, laughing at a bawdy story, fell backwards and died; and Mrs Fitzherbert, an English widow who laughed so hard at a production of The Beggar's Opera in 1782 that she eventually expired the next day, still laughing.

Finally, Alex Mitchell (1925-75), a bricklayer of King's Lynn, laughed so hard at the TV show The Goodies (the episode featuring 'Ecky Thump") that he succumbed to a heart attack. Allegedly, his widow bore no grudge and wrote to The Goodies thanking them for making her husband's last moments so happy.
David Newell. Leeds

My grandma. Elsie Robinson, died in 1953 from a heart attack while . laughing in the cinema during a showing of Doctor in the House. Sadly there wasn't one.
Graham Robinson, Hexham, Northumberland

It doesn't quite qualify, but the day after my appendix was taken out I got a fit of the giggles and split the stitches (ie, my side) laughing.
(Ms) Paddy Long, Plzen, Czech Republic
The Goodies death is discussed here:
https://forums.forteana.org/posts/217399

Also nice to the book of lists used as a reference ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't some dude also die laughing at Morecambe & Wise in a theatre?

I've done the opposite - laughed myself into labour.
(At something quite rude and childish too.)

IIRC someone died laughing watching the Goddies. It was the one where the giant kitten attacks the city.
It's in the FT book of strange deaths. Am I really the only one with that in my loo?

escargot said:
I've done the opposite - laughed myself into labour.
(At something quite rude and childish too.)

My mother went into labour watching the bean eating/ farting sceane in Blazing Saddles at the cinema

My great grand mother apparently suffered a heart attack and died almost instantly after throwing her head back and laughing.

I heard the Goodies episode the man died laughing at was the Ecky Thump one, specifically a fight between a black pudding and a set of bagpipes.

The Goodies death is mentioned in my first post (and the thread I linked to). ;)

Sorry emps :cry:

Yes you're right it was the bag pipes and black pudding. It's just that all I seem to remember the goodies doing was giant kitten attacks town.

(must think before posting)

I managed to finish off my 94 year old uncle with a letter. It contained news of his younger brother's (my dad's) death, and when it was read to him, he upped and died. I was very close to my uncle and I know it was what he would have wanted.

beak: And he died laughing? :confused:

liveinabin said:
Sorry emps :cry:

Yes you're right it was the bag pipes and black pudding. It's just that all I seem to remember the goodies doing was giant kitten attacks town.

(must think before posting)

Well that episode may have included the skecth wih the giant kitten in it - it was just famous for beign the Ecky Thump show ;)

Do we actually know which bit of the epsiode caused him to shuffle of this mortal coil?

Emperor said:
God no! It just made me think about it that's all. Sorry to go off thread, you can delete it if you like Emps. :oops:

beakboo said:
Emperor said:
God no! It just made me think about it that's all. Sorry to go off thread, you can delete it if you like Emps. :oops:

Ahhhhhh. No worries I just thought it was odd laughing yourself to death over what was a grim letter. I just thought I'd missed something.

Semi-related, Dick Shawn died while making others laugh:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0790071/bio

In 1987, while performing at the University of California at San Diego, Shawn fell forward on the stage during one of his spiels about the Holocaust. The audience, of course, laughed while he laid there, thinking it was just a part of his schtick. In actuality, the 63-year-old married actor with four children had suffered a fatal heart attack. A not surprisingly offbeat end for an offbeat personality.

As did, of course, our own dear Tommy Cooper. :lol:

i'm sure that i read that a king's mistress, possibly nell gwynn, died laughing, but i can't find anything about it now.

today i read, in Schott's Original Miscellany, that in 1599 king Nandabayin of Burma "laughed to death when informed, by a visiting Italian merchant, that Venice was a free state without a king."

This morning I was reading about Alex Mitchell, a Goodies fan who laughed so hard at their Ecky Thump close combat episode that he suffered an apparent heart attack and died.
His widow wrote to the Goodies thanking them for making his last minutes on earth so happy.

Turns out that Mr Mitchell most likely died of a genetic condition called Long QT Syndrome.

Goodies' fan Alex Mitchell 1975 laughter death 'solved'

Alex Mitchell, of King's Lynn, Norfolk, suffered heart failure after viewing the Ecky-Thump episode in 1975.

His granddaughter Lisa Corke, 23, had a near fatal cardiac arrest at home on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent, in May.

She has now been diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome which doctors think could have also caused Mr Mitchell's death.

Mr Mitchell's death after laughing for half an hour watching The Goodies made headlines around the world in 1975.

Last edited by a moderator:
today i read, in Schott's Original Miscellany, that in 1599 king Nandabayin of Burma "laughed to death when informed, by a visiting Italian merchant, that Venice was a free state without a king."

I can't find any source to support this story. Nandabayin is consistently cited as having been assassinated after his fall in either 1599 or 1600. The original Burmese national chronicle Maha Yazawin puts the date in November 1600.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanda_Bayin

https://books.google.com/books?id=6...6AF6BQjCARAD#v=onepage&q="Nandabayin"&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=M...6AF6BQi9ARAD#v=onepage&q="Nandabayin"&f=false

Back