• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

can someone identify this

disgruntledgoth

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
heya people, I took this pic in scotland, on the isle of mull, and I don't remember seeing anything fly past at the time, to me it sort of looks like a bird, I just wanted everyone elses opinion

davespictures138.jpg

lol, well done :lol: :p that's what I though, lol, it's just to settle an argument with a mate, he sees something different, I see a gull, lol

What is the matter with you people? What's the point of identifying it as "a gull?" Or worse, as that imaginary creature, the "seagull?" The big question is - which of the many gull species is it? Herring, Bonaparte's, laughing, band-tailed, black-headed, ringbilled, Iceland, California, Franklin's, Glaucous, Glaucous-winged, Ross's...?

Us true UFO spotters spend hours in the cold and the rain trying to get down to species, and here you say "gull" as if that settled it! And how sure are you that it is a gull, instead of a tern, a gannet, a plover, a pelican, or any of the other hundred species that haunt the beaches?

Some people are very easiy satisfied! This identification has barely begun!

PeniG said:
Us true UFO spotters spend hours in the cold and the rain trying to get down to species, and here you say "gull" as if that settled it! And how sure are you that it is a gull, instead of a tern, a gannet, a plover, a pelican, or any of the other hundred species that haunt the beaches?

Some people are very easiy satisfied! This identification has barely begun!
Rock pigeon!

Dove!

Curlew!

hoopooe!!

it looks like nothing but a gull to me.

No surprise, goth. Birds often do look like mid-century UFOs. I've talked on here before about the flock of flying saucers I saw spiralling over a park downtown from my office window, which with the help of my birding guru I was able to ID as a flock of migrating white pelicans. (This was the moment that made me a birder.) I had to watch them a long time before one of them flapped its wings and I knew for sure that I was looking at birds and not at machines or balloons. Sunlight off white feathers glares just like aluminum.

People so seldom look up that they don't grasp how alien the natural world looks when it's not at eye-level, and many people interact so much more with technology than with wildlife that they find machines, even alien ones, easier to recognize than animals. Some lazy thinkers would even rather see extraterrestrial machines than native animals because they consider animals "boring." :roll: But I don't say your friend's like that.

Sunlight off white feathers glares just like aluminum

True. The recent pic of an egret I posted on this MB is the best one I have ever managed - previous ones showed no detail, because the glare was too much for even a digital camera to handle.

hang on. i've read accounts of ufonauts resembling birds. maybe there's more to all this gull malarkey than meets the eye. i think we should be told!

it's a gull alright... but one from SPACE!!! yeah that's right the uncomfortable truth.. space gulls with the power to steal bags of chips from children

Drake eider duck, flying right to left, but its head must be turned away, as it would normally protrude to the left.

Back