• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can You Blink If You're A Ghost?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Was just thinking, if you're a spirit, as in a ghost, do you "see" without being able to close your "eyes"? Or is your vision now permanent and you cannot sleep or block anything out? Even losing the blinking impulse may be disturbing. That may explain why some spirits seem to behave in an insane manner - they have been driven mad by being dead.

Surely there would have to be a physical lens to process light for the brain to process. That would therefore mean a physical brain would be required to invert and process the image. Also, the workings of the eye to focus and adjust the iris would also be necessary.

do you "see" without being able to close your "eyes"
Do you mean the eyelids would be transparent ? - reminds me of that gem of wisdom that ghosts can't whistle because their lips are invisible (Look around You).

How do these entities even see? Without brain to interpret the sight and without eyes? There are enough observations to see that they have some form of sight when doing poltergeist activities. Have their brains and eyes moved with them into another dimension? "Intelligent entities" which ghost hunters want to call them.

If ghosts are semi-transparent, that presumably means little light would register in their eyes anyway. Especially at night.

I think spirits work a completely different way. People astral travel and see. People who have NDE can float above their bodies and see.

Also I think lots of ghost and just an in print of what happened in the past so just taking the route they did then.

I instinctively feel there could be more than a nugget of truth in this proposition @GNC

Generally, mortal humans display possession of their own corporeal interiority via movement / gesture and sub-conscious signalling in a vast multitude of ways, beyond the monodimensional medium of speech.

Non-native speakers of a focus language, stroke victims, and certain high-functioning neuroatypical individuals, display either markedly-reduced (or nil) facial expressions, including blinking. There is a well-documented psychological literature that maps how NT humans cue and clue each-other via face-reading, at levels of instinctive complexity way beyond the primate baselines of arched eyebrows and projecting tongues.

I could so easily imagine that an observed spirit (irrespective of what that means) would never display any of these biotelegraphic back-channel subtleties. I don't mean that they wouldn't blink, in the way that an almost-perfect android might not blink: I mean in the sense that we, as mere mortals, know that spirits are there to inform/dictate/dissaude towards us, with us as recipients, never peers - it isn't part of the fundamental presumed compact of the encounter that they'll intimately interact with us.

Didn’t we used to have a thread on how do ghosts see?

Anyway. The main reason for blinking is to lubricate the surface of the eye. So if ghosts needed to do that, why don’t we see them helping themselves to a glass of water to rehydrate?

Last edited:
Didn’t we used to have a thread on how do ghosts see?
I don't doubt the subject has been discussed before, but there's no thread dedicated to whether or how ghosts see.

It is believed that 10,000 people per year die on the toilet in Japan alone (according to an article I read online, at least).

If that's accurate, then why do we never hear of ghosts reliving their final defecation? Surely someone somewhere must have walked into their toilet and been confronted by a terrifying phantom grunting and straining as it tries to do a spectral stool.

It is believed that 10,000 people per year die on the toilet in Japan alone (according to an article I read online, at least).

If that's accurate, then why do we never hear of ghosts reliving their final defecation? Surely someone somewhere must have walked into their toilet and been confronted by a terrifying phantom grunting and straining as it tries to do a spectral stool.
One plop for yes. Two plops for no.

Are there any records of ghostly farts... ? I mean, it could be a valid manifestation, like the smell of flowers, pipes, cigars, perfums...

Are there any records of ghostly farts... ? I mean, it could be a valid manifestation, like the smell of flowers, pipes, cigars, perfums...

You would just think there was something wrong with the drains.

Back