• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can You Speak Venusian?

mothman8

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A bonus CD rROM with this months Sky At Night magazine features a guy speaking venusian. Its a 1969 program about ' Free Thinkers ', those that have ' not been shackled by conventional thought ' as Patrick Moore puts it. He also goes to Warminster to look out for UFO's, talks to members of the Aetherian Society, meets some guy who claims the sun is cold and many more very interesting odd folk. The programme itself is about ' free thinkers ', those who have struck out on their own with regards to explaining the universe etc. It has a very fortean feal to it, and Im sure most on this forum would love it. It shows what UFOlogy was like back in the late 1960's. He even meets some contactees. Go get it, its pure gold and Im still suprised at its content, I was expecting something quite different.

ufology in the 60's is the same as ufology in 2005.....
same questions,same hypothosis,same speculation.....and guess what...45 years down the track.........same answers......"none"
hasnt anybody got the plot yet?

I'd have to disagree with that. If Ufology (and UFO lore) was exactly the same today as it was 40 years ago, then we might have to accept that we are dealing with a consistent phenomenon. But it isn't, and we aren't.

Since the era of Warminster and George King, the focus has shifted from Contactees and close encounters to abductions - largely due to the new (and unreliable) practise of hypnotic regression. The greys - so effectively promoted by the likes of Streiber and Hopkins - were completely unknown back in 1969, as were Reptoids, Ultraterrestrials (Keel invented the term in 1970), the Roswell crash (invented by Charles Berlitz in 1980), alien implants, and Black Triangles. Back in the 60s, Venus and Mars were still considered likely bases for intelligent life; nowadays our aliens have to travel light years to reach us.

the focus has shifted..... effectively promoted by....people who invented new terms to suit new age thinking,irispective of the fact, what they had renamed xisted with a whole other generation that had preceeded them,grown old and disilusioned by the lack of answers..... then we have to accept, we are,dealing with a consistent phenomenon.
all thats changed is the words that are used,the questions are still the same as are the answers that eminate....
speculation,rumour and inuendo.

Is South-America real?
I don't know.
- I have learned about it at school
- Then I saw stuff about it on TV
- Friends and family have told me about it
- I've seen photographs and
- I own a tin of Steak in gravy apparently made in SA

So what?
I haven't been there.
So my answer is still: I don't know.

Chances considering all the circumstantial evindens are that SA very probably exists but I am not 100% sure.

graylien said:
I'd have to disagree with that. If Ufology (and UFO lore) was exactly the same today as it was 40 years ago, then we might have to accept that we are dealing with a consistent phenomenon. But it isn't, and we aren't.

Since the era of Warminster and George King, the focus has shifted from Contactees and close encounters to abductions - largely due to the new (and unreliable) practise of hypnotic regression.
Surely it has then moved on from that? I haven't followed UFOlogy in recent years (because I can only afford old books ;)) but it seems like abductions and regressions were definitely a craze and have died down now.

Dingo667 said:
Is South-America real?
I don't know.

Chances considering all the circumstantial evindens are that SA very probably exists but I am not 100% sure.

Well I know that Peru (Columbia) exist because I've been so there's a highly probability that the rest of South America exists, from my viewpoint, however, this is purely anecdotal evidence as far as you're concerned. I have photos but they could have been faked. So that doesn't really help does it?

On the original topic. I got the disk too, the episode is an absolute gem.

graylien said:
Back in the 60s, Venus and Mars were still considered likely bases for intelligent life; nowadays our aliens have to travel light years to reach us.
Not to mention that back then we hadn't yet sent probes to Mars or Venus that showed them to be (very probably) uninhabited by intelligent life ;). As our own understanding of our place in the cosmos grew, the hypotheses shifted somewhat.

Interestingly, though, there's still the fringe school of thought that states Mars and Venus previously held intelligent life, and contactees such as those mentioned are effectively mediums channelling departed alien souls (which the likes of Hoagland leap upon immediately as to them it vindicates the idea that Cydonia is indeed a huge analogue of the Valley of the Kings, etc).

As for the abduction thing, it's all about fashion IMHO - as has been pointed out ad-nauseum, in time immemorial it was viewed as being taken by the faeries, the Night Hag, succubi, incubi, and finally little grey buggers from Zeta Reticuli, with or without the Sec Gen of the UN watching from a nearby car. I personally tend to subscribe to none of the above (with the Fortean codicil of not discounting any of them entirely), favouring instead the idea that it's a physio/psychological thing hard-wired in us all somewhere deep down. The explanations themselves merely reflect the time in which they're postulated.
graylien said:
Since the era of Warminster and George King, the focus has shifted from Contactees and close encounters to abductions - largely due to the new (and unreliable) practise of hypnotic regression. The greys - so effectively promoted by the likes of Streiber and Hopkins - were completely unknown back in 1969...
Since then, however, and under regression, there's been a surprising consistency in the description given of them. Oddly enough, around 1969 or so, the following image appeared in the closing credits of every episode of a very widely watched TV series indeed:
tosbalok.jpg

See that every week for six months, and no doubt the prompt under hypnosis of "What did the alien look like?" could well bring up quite a vivid description.

In the end, if there is a continuity in Ufology, it's that people see things in the sky (and occasionally on the ground), at variable distances, that are not readily identifiable. What changes is the complexity of hypotheses to explain them (and the first person to mention a certain monk and his shaving habits would do well to remember that he had a beard ;)).

..under regression, there's been a surprising consistency in the description given of them.
I'd suggest that the apparent consistency was caused more by the investigators than the abductees. When, for example, everyone Budd Hopkins regresses describes the same type of alien, it may be that they really have all seen the same aliens, or watched the same TV show, but the most obvious factor they share in common is Hopkins himself. And when you take into account that Hopkins dismisses recollections of any kind of alien other than the classic Grey as mere "screen memories" to be overcome through further hypnosis, then the consistency of his findings becomes even more suspect.

Here's an interesting essay, which suggests that now even the abductees themselves are tailoring their own recollections to ensure that they fit in with the standard model of abductions: In her Own Words: An Abductee's Story
Like Hopkins, who has penned the introduction for THE ALIEN JIGSAW, Wilson tends to blame aliens for just about all the weirdness. "I know that penguins aren't eight feet tall, and they don't float in midair," she explains. "That was an instance of camouflage and screen memory."

graylien said:
I'd suggest that the apparent consistency was caused more by the investigators than the abductees. When, for example, everyone Budd Hopkins regresses describes the same type of alien, it may be that they really have all seen the same aliens, or watched the same TV show, but the most obvious factor they share in common is Hopkins himself.
Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. The whole HJM thing seemed, to me at least, to become more and more a folie-a-trois as it went on (with the regression sessions being so full of leading questions they became all but worthless) - wittingly or not, HJM were so hell bent on finding corroboration for what they were utterly convinced was the "truth" that they'd happily disregard anything that varied from what they wanted to hear, which in turn led to frankly ludicrous conclusions on their part such as that a few million US Citizens had been abducted (I mean, WTF?).

I only posted the picture as it seems to me the descriptions given by whomever all appear to post-date that image. Now of course the Streiber Communion grey portrait has become in itself iconic to such a degree that it'll probably register somewhere in pretty much anyone's sub-conscious mind.

That said, everyone I know (who gives a toss :D) agrees that the Strieber portrait:
0380703882.jpg

..is on some level rather unsettling. I do think personally it's a kind of archetypal image that goes deep.

There's also Aleister Crowley's portrait of Lam, mentioned on another thread a while ago, which is similar to the Star Trek alien head.

Lam.jpg

It's interesting that that particular Star Trek alien - which featured in the episode The Corbomite Maneuver was actually a puppet (or projection) operated by a rather cheerful looking midget:

balek.jpg

I don't know how much thought went into Star Trek's rubber headed villains - but presumably the idea behind that particular design (the scary puppet, not the midget) would have been to create something as simple and archetypically 'alien' as possible.

Truly these archetypal images can filter down a long way and be found in the most unexpected forms:

alienheadedbear.jpg

LOL. I think there is an old Twilight Zone (mid 60's) that had ( special effect masked) aliens that were (with a pinch of salt and an open mind) bloody close to some of the modern reports of what aliens look like. If those more knowledgable that I are about, wasn't ther an FT issue (last 2 years?) that had an article dealing with some of the 'cultural' contamination from early sci-fi and saucer lore?

Dingo667 said:
Is South-America real?
I don't know.

So what?
I haven't been there.
So my answer is still: I don't know.

I can pretty much tell you, mostrly based on personal experience and the fact that I live there, that if there's a place that doesnt exist is Mexico. I am certain of it, even if my psyquiatrist says I am wrong.

The original Outer Limits (1963-1965), TV series had a lot of ingeneous alien designs some pretty close to those that later became archetypal, there was also a six fingered alien (related to the one in the Santilli autopsy film? ;) )

galaxybeing.jpg

o_ol09.jpg

620finger20twilight20zone20large.jpg

Back