• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Canine Forteana (Dogs' Weirdness & Wonders)

We humans (and, for that matter, other higher primates) are prone to focus on the faces of others with whom they interact. We extend this face-centric behavior to our interactions with our canine friends. New research suggests such face-centricity is wasted when interacting with dogs. Our nervous system is hard-wired to escalate its activity when presented with a face. Dogs' nervous systems apparently aren't ...

Whatever cues or clues you dog is obtaining by looking you in the face (if / when you can get it to look you in the face) aren't being caught and processed based on your face's visual appearance in the same way or to the same extent as we are reading the dog's visage.
Your dog’s brain doesn’t care about your face

Unlike people, canines don’t seem to have neural systems that are extra sensitive to visages

Lots of dog owners love to gaze at their pups’ faces. But that fascination may be a one-way street, at least in the brain. Dogs’ brains aren’t especially impressed by faces, either those of other dogs, or of people, a new study suggests.

People’s brains are exquisitely tuned into faces, and the wealth of information that expressions can convey. Whether other animals’ brains are as vigilant to faces is an open question.

Researchers in Hungary and Mexico used brain-scanning technology on 20 pet dogs to measure responses to faces. The dogs were trained to lie still in a sphynx position inside an MRI tube, resting their head on a chin rest while watching a screen. The scientists played four types of two-second video clips for the dogs to view: the front or back of a human head, and the front or back of a dog head. Thirty human volunteers in MRI machines saw the same short videos.

As many earlier studies have found, faces were captivating for people. When shown a face — either human or dog — a large swath of these people’s visual systems became active. These brain regions were quieter when the people saw the backs of heads.

The vision-processing parts of the dogs’ brains, however, didn’t seem to care about faces, the researchers report October 5 in the Journal of Neuroscience. No brain areas had greater activity when viewing a face compared with the back of a head. Instead, areas of the dogs’ visual systems were more tuned to whether the video featured a dog or a human. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dog-brain-human-faces-expressions-neuroscience

We humans (and, for that matter, other higher primates) are prone to focus on the faces of others with whom they interact. We extend this face-centric behavior to our interactions with our canine friends. New research suggests such face-centricity is wasted when interacting with dogs. Our nervous system is hard-wired to escalate its activity when presented with a face. Dogs' nervous systems apparently aren't ...

Whatever cues or clues you dog is obtaining by looking you in the face (if / when you can get it to look you in the face) aren't being caught and processed based on your face's visual appearance in the same way or to the same extent as we are reading the dog's visage.

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dog-brain-human-faces-expressions-neuroscience

I'm wondering if this study will lead to examining the cat's arse/human face interaction? My cats are happy to stick their arse in my face as a form of communication.

And people wonder about the Fermi Paradox...

chihuaha gang.png

Schweinhunden!

Two German Shepherds belonging to US president Joe Biden and his wife Dr Jill Biden have returned to their family home in Delaware following a "biting incident".

Sources told CNN that Major Biden displayed aggressive behaviour at the White House and was involved in an incident with a member of White House security. Major, who was adopted by Mr Biden in 2018 from and animal shelter, in Delaware is the first rescue dog to take up residence at 1,600 Pennsylvania Avenue alongside his older brother Champ. Both dogs have now been sent back to the family home in Willmington, Delaware.

According to CNN, Major, 3, has been known to display "agitated behaviour" including "jumping, barking and charging" at White House Staff and security.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40240526.html

Maryvale - not Maryville – is a few miles from me. Unsecured dogs are not legal in most parts of Arizona, but they are almost everywhere. From what I have seen, chihuahuas and bully breeds are very common in poorer or Mexican neighborhoods (these two groups are often found together). They congregate in packs and sometimes are very aggressive. I have seen packs of chihuahuas apparently checking their territory boundary. Their leader was a couple of body lengths ahead of the rest, and this arrangement lasted as long as I could see them. They did not once stop to sniff any bushes. They were very focused. They were slow trotting with very stiff legs. I would not want to tangle with them. They reminded me – of all things – of a group of chimpanzees doing a perimeter check.

I once saw a pack of chihuahuas (6-7 dogs I vaguely remember) which blocked traffic in a major street intersection. They faced and snarled at all the cars in all four directions until they each had a chance to eat the French fries which had been dumped in the middle of the intersection. All the car drivers very politely waited for the dogs to finish and move away before the cars proceeded. This took longer than one light change. I’m surprised they didn’t take a dump (the dogs, not the drivers) before they left. :)

Put this here because it is the kind of thing that doesn't happen every day - dog attacks seal in central London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-freddie-seal-not-responsible-act-deliberate/

Really sad.

People get dogs and seem to know nothing about what they are bred for.

Patterdales (and I'm not sure the dog in the picture is a Patterdale - looks too big and wrong colour) are little killers. It's what they are bred for, at least originally. As are quite a number of terrier breeds. Size has nothing to do with it.

If you are going to own such a dog you need to be aware of its likely reaction to wild (or even somewhat tame) animals, and keep it on a lead. My own preferred breed - Welsh Terriers - look like little teddy bears. But they are very strong for their size and (in proportion to body size) have teeth as large and dangerous as an alligator.

edit: Further article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...aster/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

I'm a little puzzled the seal was put down - the injuries described sound relatively mild and survivable.

Last edited:
Put this here because it is the kind of thing that doesn't happen every day - dog attacks seal in central London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-freddie-seal-not-responsible-act-deliberate/

Really sad.

People get dogs and seem to know nothing about what they are bred for.

Patterdales (and I'm not sure the dog in the picture is a Patterdale - looks too big and wrong colour) are little killers. It's what they are bred for, at least originally. As are quite a number of terrier breeds. Size has nothing to do with it.

If you are going to own such a dog you need to be aware of its likely reaction to wild (or even somewhat tame) animals, and keep it on a lead. My own preferred breed - Welsh Terriers - look like little teddy bears. But they are very strong for their size and (in proportion to body size) have teeth as large and dangerous as an alligator.

edit: Further article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...aster/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

I'm a little puzzled the seal was put down - the injuries described sound relatively mild and survivable.
Yes i read abput this, the QC who owns the dog is not being prosecuted, funny that!

"Dog owner Rebecca Sabben-Clare QC said she "apologises unreservedly" and will not face charges over the incident."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56497801

Schweinhunden!

Two German Shepherds belonging to US president Joe Biden and his wife Dr Jill Biden have returned to their family home in Delaware following a "biting incident".

Sources told CNN that Major Biden displayed aggressive behaviour at the White House and was involved in an incident with a member of White House security. Major, who was adopted by Mr Biden in 2018 from and animal shelter, in Delaware is the first rescue dog to take up residence at 1,600 Pennsylvania Avenue alongside his older brother Champ. Both dogs have now been sent back to the family home in Willmington, Delaware.

According to CNN, Major, 3, has been known to display "agitated behaviour" including "jumping, barking and charging" at White House Staff and security.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40240526.html

The hounds are back! Secret Service Agents Beware!

President Joe Biden’s dogs, Champ and Major, are roaming the White House again, after having been sent to Delaware when Major, the younger dog, injured a Secret Service agent.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said at the Wednesday briefing that the dogs met the Bidens last weekend at Camp David in Maryland and came back to Washington on Sunday. nThe dogs had been in the Biden’s home state of Delaware, where Major received some additional training after having been startled by a Secret Service agent who received a minor injury from the fracas.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40250846.html

Retirement has been a bone of contention for police dogs

The Polish government has proposed new laws that would give “pensions” to dogs and horses that serve with the country’s police, border guard and fire service.

When their time comes for retirement, state care normally ends for the dogs and horses that serve the state in Poland, and the creatures are given away, with no safeguards for their future welfare. Following appeals from concerned service members, the Polish interior ministry has proposed new legislation that would give these animals an official status and paid retirement to help cover the often costly care bills their new owners face.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40252667.html

The hounds are back! Secret Service Agents Beware!

President Joe Biden’s dogs, Champ and Major, are roaming the White House again, after having been sent to Delaware when Major, the younger dog, injured a Secret Service agent.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said at the Wednesday briefing that the dogs met the Bidens last weekend at Camp David in Maryland and came back to Washington on Sunday. nThe dogs had been in the Biden’s home state of Delaware, where Major received some additional training after having been startled by a Secret Service agent who received a minor injury from the fracas.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40250846.html
I dont think i would want a secret service agent that cant defend himself against dog, protecting me :p id stick with the dog for protection.

We were watching a video about the Iceland volcano presented by an enthusiast who'd brought his dog Polly.

As he explained various fascinating aspects of the eruption Polly wandered off and was seen defaecating in the background.

I watched with interest, wondering if Polly had picked up the necessary north/south indications or if the seismic activity had disrupted things.

Biden's Biter.

President Joe Biden’s younger dog Major has been involved in his second biting incident of the month, the White House said on Tuesday.

The dog “nipped someone while on a walk” on Monday, said Michael LaRosa, press secretary to first lady Jill Biden, adding that the dog “is still adjusting to his new surroundings”. The person was seen by the White House Medical Unit “out of an abundance of caution” and returned to work without injury, Mr LaRosa added.

The dog had been seen by reporters on a walk around the White House South Lawn before the president and first lady travelled to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial early Monday evening.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40255055.html

Biden's Biter.

President Joe Biden’s younger dog Major has been involved in his second biting incident of the month, the White House said on Tuesday.

The dog “nipped someone while on a walk” on Monday, said Michael LaRosa, press secretary to first lady Jill Biden, adding that the dog “is still adjusting to his new surroundings”. The person was seen by the White House Medical Unit “out of an abundance of caution” and returned to work without injury, Mr LaRosa added.

The dog had been seen by reporters on a walk around the White House South Lawn before the president and first lady travelled to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial early Monday evening.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40255055.html
This is so pointless and silly. All they have to is fit the mutt with a muzzle. Worked for my JRT when she turned bitey.

I'm wondering if this study will lead to examining the cat's arse/human face interaction? My cats are happy to stick their arse in my face as a form of communication.

And people wonder about the Fermi Paradox...
My dog Stanley likes nothing better than to wedge his backside against my body where a normal dog (or cat) would simply lie on my lap. I hope he is simply adopting a position from where he can observe and attack if necessary, rather than expressing an opinion.

And while I don't normally like the infantilisation of the language there was a definite need for the word 'bitey'.

My dog Stanley likes nothing better than to wedge his backside against my body where a normal dog (or cat) would simply lie on my lap. I hope he is simply adopting a position from where he can observe and attack if necessary, rather than expressing an opinion.

And while I don't normally like the infantilisation of the language there was a definite need for the word 'bitey'.

He's got your back! (talking of which my cat has just turned up saying you need to go to work soon go to bed).

There was absolutely nothing infantile about Kizzy's biting habit. When a JRT nips you, you STAY nipped.
Welshies the same. I remember one old fool who kept pulling Stanley's tail despite being told not to. Both by me verbally and by Stan growling.

He was the sort of idiot that thinks it clever to sneak up behind you and repeat what he has been told not to do. Nearly lost his thumb. Blood everywhere. And I can assure you that the reactions of a young terrier are much faster than the human on the other end of the lead. And, believe it or not, in the following kerfuffle he tried to grab Stan's tail again.

This is why Stan's 'nom de guerre' is Alligator Chops.

Fortunately his daughter knew he was the kind of fool who liked teasing animals and no complaint was made. If it had been there would have been several witnesses to the dog being teased.

Last edited:
Welshies the same. I remember one old fool who kept pulling Stanley's tail despite being told not to. Both by me verbally and by Stan growling.

He was the sort of idiot that thinks it clever to sneak up behind you and repeat what he has been told not to do. Nearly lost his thumb. Blood everywhere. And I can assure you that the reactions of a young terrier are much faster than the human on the other end of the lead.

Fortunately his daughter knew he was the kind of fool who liked teasing animals and no complaint was made.
He sounds like a twat.

Not Stanley, he sounds patient. Up to a point.

He sounds like a twat.

Not Stanley, he sounds patient. Up to a point.
Indeed. Up to a point. He's much more reasonable than our previous Welshie, who didn't give warnings. Although he became much more peaceable after his failed attempt to annoy a horse, which cost him an eye and a severe headache.

When Stan goes (he's in his old age now), once certain necessary adjustments are made to my circumstances, I'm definitely having another Welshie.

When dogs start getting aggressive owners can generally sort it with a muzzle. They won't start any shit when they can't bite.

Our Kizzy had hers on for 6 months every time we went out. I installed a lobster clip on it to attach to her collar so she couldn't scrape it off!

She deeply resented it but I wasn't taking any chances. After the 6 months of looking like Hanibal Lecter she was as good as gold.

When dogs start getting aggressive owners can generally sort it with a muzzle. They won't start any shit when they can't bite.

Our Kizzy had hers on for 6 months every time we went out. I installed a lobster clip on it to attach to her collar so she couldn't scrape it off!

She deeply resented it but I wasn't taking any chances. After the 6 months of looking like Hanibal Lecter she was as good as gold.
I work on the principle that if you want to go around wantonly annoying dogs and you get bit its not the dog's fault. The horse business with the previous Welshie was in fact due to negligence of the horse owner who had left it to fend for itself, and as a result it had gotten into my field where the grass was obviously greener.

I work on the principle that if you want to go around wantonly annoying dogs and you get bit its not the dog's fault. The horse business with the previous Welshie was in fact due to negligence of the horse owner who had left it to fend for itself, and as a result it had gotten into my field where the grass was obviously greener.
My JRT problem was different as she suddenly took up noisily charging at people and other dogs.

She didn't bite unless she was bitten first but it was only a matter of time so the muzzle was purchased.

After she'd done without it for about a year I offered it on Facebook and it was gratefully snapped up by a woman whose own JRT had started with the same nastiness. The owner was impressed by the extra clip too!

Back