Cannabis Is Good For You

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank Zappa was notorious for his chronic and intensive coffee drinking and cigarette smoking.

It's sometimes alleged he didn't drink at all, but he was known to drink wine with meals (but, so far as I know, not at all outside a meal context). He admitted to having tried marijuana a few times in the early Sixties, but rejected it. AFAIK he never tried anything stronger such as speed, hallucinogens or opiates.

In general he despised any substance usage that didn't (in his opinion) contribute to sharpened wits and / or sustained effort, and he repeatedly satirized folks who use drugs for escape or passive recreational kicks.

Zappa wa a very focused workaholic, and he expected his collaborators to be similarly focused at all times. He forbade members of his group(s) to use any intoxicants while working with him and touring, and he was serious enough about this to fire band members who didn't comply.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
And yet, and yet...Keith Richard & Jimmy Page have lived to ripe old ages.
I suspect those old rock stars have exaggerated their drinking and drug-taking.
Look at the Stones. They can't all be mainlining coke all day long. At their age, coke can cause heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure etc.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not so sure on the Tabaco, but spot on about the cannabis. I started smoking while in the US Army some 45 - 50 years ago. If used with some common sense it both relives my pain as well as can help relax for an enjoyable evening with some good food and a cocktail. "Oh No" cannabis and alcohol I must be a criminal drug abuser, (LOL). Moderation is the key, same applies to coffee and those wonderful Swiss and German chocolates. I never smoke or drink when there was work to be done. Time to get off the soap box, like religion and politics these are individualistic opinions.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Initial survey results suggest cannabis and / or CBD can provide short-term relief from OCD, and further research is recommended.
Cannabis reduces OCD symptoms by half in the short-term

People with obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, report that the severity of their symptoms was reduced by about half within four hours of smoking cannabis, according to a Washington State University study.

The researchers analyzed data inputted into the Strainprint app by people who self-identified as having OCD, a condition characterized by intrusive, persistent thoughts and repetitive behaviors such as compulsively checking if a door is locked. After smoking cannabis, users with OCD reported it reduced their compulsions by 60%, intrusions, or unwanted thoughts, by 49% and anxiety by 52%.

The study, recently published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, also found that higher doses and cannabis with higher concentrations of CBD, or cannabidiol, were associated with larger reductions in compulsions.

"The results overall indicate that cannabis may have some beneficial short-term but not really long-term effects on obsessive-compulsive disorder," said Carrie Cuttler, the study's corresponding author and WSU assistant professor of psychology. "To me, the CBD findings are really promising because it is not intoxicating. This is an area of research that would really benefit from clinical trials looking at changes in compulsions, intrusions and anxiety with pure CBD." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-10/wsu-cro101920.php

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Frank Zappa was notorious for his chronic and intensive coffee drinking and cigarette smoking.

It's sometimes alleged he didn't drink at all, but he was known to drink wine with meals (but, so far as I know, not at all outside a meal context). He admitted to having tried marijuana a few times in the early Sixties, but rejected it. AFAIK he never tried anything stronger such as speed, hallucinogens or opiates.

In general he despised any substance usage that didn't (in his opinion) contribute to sharpened wits and / or sustained effort, and he repeatedly satirized folks who use drugs for escape or passive recreational kicks.

Zappa wa a very focused workaholic, and he expected his collaborators to be similarly focused at all times. He forbade members of his group(s) to use any intoxicants while working with him and touring, and he was serious enough about this to fire band members who didn't comply.

Yeah Lou Reed mentioned that Zappa was just in it for the money.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Yeah Lou Reed mentioned that Zappa was just in it for the money.
In an interview with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow show (circa mid-1970s) Zappa said he believed the only difference between a rock musician and someone in a symphony orchestra is that the former wanted to make the big money now and the latter was just waiting for a pension.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In an interview with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow show (circa mid-1970s) Zappa said he believed the only difference between a rock musician and someone in a symphony orchestra is that the former wanted to make the big money now and the latter was just waiting for a pension.
I think that's nonsense frankly.

Rock musicians have more chances of getting laid, & can participate in producing music without having to go through years of formal musical education etc. Many classically trained musicians are not good at improvising which is where the real fun is, having been brought up for years on reading/interpreting existing scores in which improvisation plays little to no part. Principal soloists may have a little more but they're still basically following scores.

Recording & multitracking adds a whole new level of creativity & experimentation which most symphony orchestra musicians don't go near.

This applies not only to rock but other genres as well.

Reactions: Jim

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I agree with you in great part, hunck, although I think there are a lot of classically trained musicians whose tastes and talents exceed what their jobs demand of them. My reason for bringing up what Zappa said was more about his view of things, not mine.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Initial survey results suggest cannabis and / or CBD can provide short-term relief from OCD, and further research is recommended.
OCD is a topic with exceptional relevance to myself.

Both my son and daughter had traumatic symptoms when they were growing up, my daughter specifically.

As parents, we never knew anything about OCD.

When our daughter - circa 7 years old - wouldn't get into bed at night until she had attempted to some 60-70 times, or wouldn't stop switching a light on/off for same because, 'It didn't feel right', we put it down to simply being 'mischievous'.

When around 12-14 years old, the condition was diagnosed and she was prescribed medication.

It did help dramatically, however, the side-effects were horrendous. The mood swings were often violent and she went through hell.

Thankfully, it eventually settled down and gradually dissapated when she became 18-19.

My son's symptoms developed later, when he was 14-15 and included not being able to let go of what he was holding - cups, glasses, door handles, etc. and an obsession with having to fold his clothes up 20-30 times at night before it was, 'alright'.

Fascinating to read the article you highlight as he still has occasional symptoms which cause anxiety, especially in social situations.

It's a case of never being certain something will manifest. When in his company, I still always look out for same and if he's at my house, we share the humour that when he's leaving I open all the doors and religiously remark, 'I'll get that, mate'. It's become a ritual!

I have come to realise many of ourselves have habits which are perhaps indistinguishable from OCD.

Case in point being my daughter pointing out a few years ago:

'Dad, you know you have an OCD like habit'?

Responding that, 'certainly not to my knowledge', she pointed out I am forever rearranging cushions.

Absurd...

Except that I do... and can't help it!

If they don't look, 'just right', then rearranged they shall be.

That aside, my son has been experimenting this past 9 months with CBD hemp.

As have I... new order just arrived...

Screenshot_20201023_005517_resize_29.jpg

This is, of course, the >0.2% THC bud you can readily buy online here.

Leaving aside issues re the legality of same, the question of whether CBD hemp could be beneficial for those who suffer from OCD or anxiety, is an unequivocal affirmative.

I haven't partaken of any in recent days, because I don't need to. It remains an experiment with the intent of helping my son judge the conclusions.

In his case, the occasional use has been a fundamental support to call upon.

Moreso and this has been critical - he no longer needs visit hash dealers for a supply of something alleviating. That inevitably leads to meeting characters who will offer much more insideous temptations.

So, does CBD bud work without the THC?

The overwhelming concensus is finding a calmness and a relaxation of anxieties, stress, insomnia, etc. without the THC madness.

That has been my own experience.

Plus, if you enjoy the actual smoking experience, the quality is different league, with a splendid variety to choose from.

There is a value to such research and availability should not be 'underground', as it still is.

Furthermore, selling CBD buds online from the UK is strictly illegal, as explained here:

CBD Regulation and Laws in the UK

https://www.medicpro.london/cbd-regulation-laws-uk/

CatsnJammer

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how a thread titled "Cannabis is good for you" has in some spots become an exchange of musical ideas? Makes perfect sense by my lights, but my mother would have said, "See! I told you so about the rock & roll!".
God bless her; a little reefer would have done her a world of good. :airk:

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Hopefully they get THC Beer and Wine to perfection and then I can knock the alcohol on the head and liking it a bit too much.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Hopefully they get THC Beer and Wine to perfection and then I can knock the alcohol on the head and liking it a bit too much.
Won't one addiction replace the other?

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Alcohol is truly additive to the letter of the Words, DDT's, shakes, emotional hysteria, etc. for the poor alcoholic trying to dry is unfortunately in for a very hard time. Alcohol related symptoms are very much physically as well as mental and can last for up to several weeks. Cannabis on the other hand can produce a milder mental habit, not an addiction..

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Alcohol is truly additive to the letter of the Words, DDT's, shakes, emotional hysteria, etc. for the poor alcoholic trying to dry is unfortunately in for a very hard time. Alcohol related symptoms are very much physically as well as mental and can last for up to several weeks. Cannabis on the other hand can produce a milder mental habit, not an addiction..
I love ale when out or trying the Belgium, German and Czech Beers but my vice is Red Wine and bloody love it and consider myself a dependant drinker who likes the gym BUT I saw what drugs and then drink did to my brother who was fit Surfer and he ended up having seizures and stuff and downing a bottle of Vodka a day and after going through months of drying out but then both physical and mental damage he was like a zombie and was at the stage no one could help him and he couldn't help him self and was in stage 4 that he took his life.

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I love ale when out or trying the Belgium, German and Czech Beers but my vice is Red Wine and bloody love it and consider myself a dependant drinker who likes the gym BUT I saw what drugs and then drink did to my brother who was fit Surfer and he ended up having seizures and stuff and downing a bottle of Vodka a day and after going through months of drying out but then both physical and mental damage he was like a zombie and was at the stage no one could help him and he couldn't help him self and was in stage 4 that he took his life.
A liter of vodka or any high proof liquor a day is a bit much. The poor chap may need detox facility? I've know a few early in life that falsely thought sports and PT canceled out the ill effects of additive drugs. This fallacy has been around for long time.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
A liter of vodka or any high proof liquor a day is a bit much. The poor chap may need detox facility? I've know a few early in life that falsely thought sports and PT canceled out the ill effects of additive drugs. This fallacy has been around for long time.
He wasn't doing sport for at least 4 months when I found him dead from hanging...sometimes I blame myself as I tried to help him that very week and told him you can drink but not Vodka but instead got him Lagers and he was telling me how it wasn't helping him poor man and I can see why...as dropping from Spirts to Lager didn't help his alcoholic craving and maybe I should of got him Wine instead if you know what I mean as its a big drop off :( Bless You Stephen X

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I'd kill somebody who gave me a joint to smoke.
How dare they?

WeeScottishLassie

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Won't one addiction replace the other?
Most likely. If you have an addictive personality (like me) then you are most likely to find another addiction to fill the void.

I'm an alcoholic and although sober for just over a year I have simply found other "addictive" things to replace the alcohol.

WeeScottishLassie

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Making cannabis oil at home ian't so good for you.

A man who was using butane to make cannabis oil caused an explosion that destroyed two flats, a court has heard.

James Toogood, 36, was seen fleeing the burning building on Whitchurch Road in Bristol with his clothes on fire, a jury at Bristol Crown Court was told. One woman escaped from the fire caused by the blast by jumping from an upper-floor flat on to a trampoline. Mr Toogood denies damaging property being reckless as to whether life was endangered.

Prosecuting, David Maunder said the explosion, just after 20:00 GMT on 23 February 2019, caused £260,000 of damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51806662
He wasn't making it the right way :worry:

I make weed oil and then put it into various types of food to ensure that I get the exact dose each time and that way I make sure I have a smooth but potent high.

But too much and you can find yourself on a roller-coaster of hell for 7 hours or more.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'Cannabis it's good for you' is the title of this thread. This image tells me otherwise, particularly if you're American and at this time of the year.

View attachment 31990
I'm assuming this poster is genuine & not a spoof but would hazard a guess based on no research whatsoever that the cases of men murdering their friend in a murderous craze after one toke of a joint fall into the 'rare to non-existent' category.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Why would you assume it's genuine?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Why would you assume it's genuine?
It's not in the Humour thread. Can't read the blurred text at the bottom re Ad Council. So I got hold of the wrong end of the stick & it is a joke then..

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It might be genuine, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
'Cannabis it's good for you' is the title of this thread. This image tells me otherwise, particularly if you're American and at this time of the year.

View attachment 31990
Sounds like a bit much? Reality this didn't happen or at least not how it reads?

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
It's a bit of a blanket statement that "xxxxxx is good for you" as it lacks all context around who, where, which form, when, how much, etc.,

It's more accurate to say "cannabis can have beneficial effects at certain doses in certain situations". I personally no longer partake [email protected]
a) I've given up smoking anything
b) the beneficial aspects (including being fun/nice) were outweighed the mental health effects it had as I grew older.

Water is generally known as being "good for you" (indeed, essential for life) but too much or too little at the wrong frequency is fatal.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
'Cannabis it's good for you' is the title of this thread. This image tells me otherwise, particularly if you're American and at this time of the year. ...
It's a fake.
Don't believe that viral 'Ad Council' marijuana Thanksgiving PSA - it's fake

A PSA that looks decades old warning people to "remember the cranberry sauce, but forget the marijuana" because it will throw you into a "murderous craze" is currently doing the rounds on social media.

The spot, which appears to be Ad Council approved, may slide into your Instagram DMs via a popular meme account over the Thanksgiving holidays after surfaced on Reddit.

But you can rest assured that it is indeed fake. The Ad Council has confirmed it cannot be verified. The PSA source is not clear. ...

If you need further proof this PSA's a dud, check the "Ad Council" fine print that instructs you to "order Domino's, rent a tape and enjoy" if you're high. ...
https://www.campaignlive.com/articl...l-marijuana-thanksgiving-psa-its-fake/1667152

Here's an enlargement of the footnotes at the bottom.
Terry-MJ-AdCouncil-Fake.jpg
It reads:

This ad brought to you by the Ad Council
Dept. of Studiohouse Designs.
If you or smeone you know is addicted to marijuana,
call Domino's at (215)-712-1000, rent and tape, and enjoy!

WeeScottishLassie

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I personally think that in moderation it is good for you.

But in edibles rather than smoking.

I have an amazing cookbook which is filled with loads of recipes and has instructions on the best way to get the THC (ingredient which gets you high) out.

It certainly can help with sleep but it's definitely something you want to be careful with and be sure to not have too much.

You can have an amazing time on it but too much and you'll regret it.