• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannabis Is Good For You

Anytime something bad for your well being comes along it is "terrible, terrible, terrible" . Legalize it and it's suddenly "Good for you"/ guess money makes the difference. So lets just cut out the middle man and smoke our money.

Anytime something bad for your well being comes along it is "terrible, terrible, terrible" . Legalize it and it's suddenly "Good for you"/ guess money makes the difference. So lets just cut out the middle man and smoke our money.

Do you have any examples? Like all medicines there are good and bad effects depending on use.

All medicines are poison. That is, they can kill as well as eleviate symptoms of illness. A very few years ago Mary Jane was a terrible drug that could drag you to the depths. of insanity and Hell. Now all of a sudden it is becoming legal and, guess what, It is good for you. Butter, eggs,cheese, and whole milk was deemed deadly and caused heart attacks. Now all of a sudden they were wrong these things (Like grandmother said) are good for you. Whoever said "Money talks" certainly knew what they were talking about. Medicines for cholesterol control are falling out of favor (with patients) not with drug companies or doctors, because they cause as many problems as they are suppose to correct. There is a natural herb that lowers cholesterol better than most of the high powered drugs that they stick you with. Unfortunately the drug companies cannot profit from a natural remedy so the patient is never told about it. Besides that, cholesterol is now thought to be a symptom and not the cause of blocked arteries. Some people live to be in their 90's with bad cholesterol levels over 400. Others die of a heart attack, quite young with levels in the 180 and under range. Everyone should educate themselves and decide what course to follow.

True. I'm on so much medication, I'd swear it's slowly killing me.
Mind you, what I'm on pales into insignificance compared to the medicines my Dad is taking. It's putting a huge stress on his liver and kidneys.

An interesting comparison of the 2 basic types cannabis, Sativa and Indica
https://graphs.net/marijuana-sativa-vs-indica.html
I don't get high anymore, I think the last time I had a toke was about ten years ago and it was on Sensi which is a Sativa (Sativa is grown in acidic soil, Indica in alkaline) .. Sativa is more fruity tasting to smoke and was one of my favourites because it gives you the giggles :) .. disclaimer: it's against the law.

Reactions: Jim
I always figured I was "Nutty" enough with out the use of drugs. People who use drugs for effect is fine with me so long as they do not become a danger to others.

"may" (again)
Pls allow me to say that nearly all studies of the human condition are as an exact a science as say electro-magnetism, earth based sciences, etc..

..Like all medicines there are good and bad effects depending on use.

I've never drugged, drank or smoked because it simply never crossed my mind to do so, but if others want to do it it's none of my business, it's only the abusers who get it a bad name.
Its medicinal properties can help those who need it-
"Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them.
Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing" (Bible:Ezekiel 47:12)

And of course Jesus turned water to wine, thereby indicating booze is not evil, and he even told his mates at the last supper that-
"The next time I drink wine with you, we'll be drinking it fresh and new in my fathers kingdom" (Matt 26:29)

That's me out then, I can't stand the stuff, I tried a few sips in my early teens but it tasted like cat pee so I haven't touched a drop since.

If you check into the story of biblical wine you will see there are two kinds. Old wine and new wine. Most Hebrews preferred new wine. Why? Because it was less fermented. The bible says that you do not put new wine in old bottles because the wine will cause them to burst. That's because new wine would ferment, build up pressure and break the bottle. Jesus changed water into wine at the wedding party. The guests were surprised and delighted. They said the best wine was saved for last. There were no refrigerators in that day. So wine, in order to be preserved was fermented. I'm sure there were drunks who preferred very old wine. But new wine was basically grape juice with minimum fermentation for a short period; then of course, it became more fermented with time and became "old wine". Catholics use old wine in their ritual of the last supper; however, many protestant churches use grape juice. I don't think it matters. The portion taken is quite small. You must also remember the holy land is not known for great tasting water. Most wells -produced a very hard (of sulpher tasting) water. Sulpher water may be healthful (or so I'm told) but it has a quality taste of rotten eggs. So wine, either new or old was frequently preferred to the water.

It would be interesting to know the ABV of historical wines. How strong was the stuff the Romans drank compared with what we get today for example?
Most of the reds in the supermarkets seem to be 13.5 or 14%, although I can remember a time when 11 - 12% was considered normal.

I once found a really nice Jewish wine which was well under 10%. It's a shame they don't sell more weaker beverages - I suppose I could try watering it down.
:beer:

I always figured I was "Nutty" enough with out the use of drugs. People who use drugs for effect is fine with me so long as they do not become a danger to others.

Friend once told me "Don't ever drink alcohol, you're weird enough already."

I took it as a compliment.

It would be interesting to know the ABV of historical wines. How strong was the stuff the Romans drank compared with what we get today for example?
Most of the reds in the supermarkets seem to be 13.5 or 14%, although I can remember a time when 11 - 12% was considered normal.

Roman wine could apparently reach 15-20% ABV (the expensive stuff made from semi-dried grapes fermented for years). Lower classes got diluted, vinegary rubbish.

There is now no wine known that ranks higher than the Falernian; it is the only one, too, among all the wines that takes fire on the application of flame.” - Pliny

Home made wine generally rates between 9% to 15% alcohol that's 18 to 30 proof. Makes no difference whether the wine is sweet or dry it can still rate the same. I use to make a very sweet wine, generally between 12 and 15%. My niece makes a very dry wine that rates from 9 to 12%. Once fermentation stops the wine will not increase alcoholic content; however, waiting a couple of years to use it generally improves its flavor.

David: The Romans probably killed themselves from lead poisoning. They thought lead, added to wine, improved its taste. Their deaths would have taken place over a period of time, so no notice was taken of the poisonous effects of lead. They also produced some of their wine in lead vats. I don't think anyone actually knows the alcoholic content of their wines. Probably very similar to today's home made variety.

Home made wine generally rates between 9% to 15% alcohol that's 18 to 30 proof.

I don't have a hydrometer but by taste alone I guess the elderberry wine I make to be about 11%. You've just reminded me I have three bottles left from a couple of years ago.

It's commonly stated that the Romans living in Britain would import wine because of the unsuitable grape growing conditions here, but there are plenty of other native fruits available so I wonder if they ever made their own. The ancient Britons had been making elderberry wine long before 43 AD. When in Rome...

Vinovia - The Vintner's Road?

David: The Romans probably killed themselves from lead poisoning. They thought lead, added to wine, improved its taste. Their deaths would have taken place over a period of time, so no notice was taken of the poisonous effects of lead. They also produced some of their wine in lead vats. I don't think anyone actually knows the alcoholic content of their wines. Probably very similar to today's home made variety.
Probably because lead tastes a bit sweet.

Myth: That is correct. After you mentioned it, I recalled that is exactly why lead was added or used in roman
winemaking.
David: I suspect you have already tried your two year old elderberry wine. I also figure you noticed an improvement in its taste. Actually David, glass testers for alcoholic content are quite inexpensive if you are interested.

I've just online stumbled across Kevin Smith's new sitcom 'Hollyweed' .. don't bother, it's dire and I'm a massive Clerks/Viewaskew fan .. but if you absolutely must .... (and the weird thing is, it took years for Smith to get his best mate Jay clean, he seems to have waited until that happened .. never smoked a spliff in his life .. then Smith suddenly decided to start instead ? ... anyway, don't expect many laughs ..

Well Jim I wonder how these "experts" know grass preceded alcohol? Our ancestors messed around with a lot of weeds, etc. It's a wonder humans managed to survive it all and reproduce. Just reading some of the "foods" these early people liked is enough to turn a modern man's stomach. Some of them even preferred half rotten meat. Todays man probably wouldn't survive even one meal of such fare.

Well Jim I wonder how these "experts" know grass preceded alcohol? Our ancestors messed around with a lot of weeds, etc. It's a wonder humans managed to survive it all and reproduce. Just reading some of the "foods" these early people liked is enough to turn a modern man's stomach. Some of them even preferred half rotten meat. Todays man probably wouldn't survive even one meal of such fare.
Perhaps they needed weed to counteract the resulting nausea?
BTW even today people eat worms, grubs, bugs, bark, jellyfish, people drink cows blood, etc. I remember seeing a show on a gent that lived with the Masai tribe. He wanted to show he could live just as the natives. At 1st the drinking of cows blood made him quite sick.

Perhaps predictably, big multi-nationals are getting involved. This story reminds me of the urban legend(?) back in the 1960's to the effect big tobacco companies were trademarking names for cannabis cigarettes.

Coca-Cola 'in talks' over cannabis-infused drinks
Coca-Cola is best known for its eponymous caffeine-based drink, but the firm now appears to be experimenting with a different drug: cannabis.

According to Canada's BNN Bloomberg, the drinks giant is in talks with local producer Aurora Cannabis about developing marijuana-infused beverages.

These would not aim to intoxicate consumers but to relieve pain.

The firm declined to comment but said it was watching the cannabis drinks market closely.

"Along with many others in the beverage industry, we are closely watching the growth of non-psychoactive cannabidiol as an ingredient in functional wellness beverages around the world," Coca-Cola said in a statement. ...

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45545233

I'm guessing those drinks won't ever get sold over here.

Perhaps predictably, big multi-nationals are getting involved. This story reminds me of the urban legend(?) back in the 1960's to the effect big tobacco companies were trademarking names for cannabis cigarettes.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45545233

You can buy cannabis-flavoured/infused drinks in Europe. I used to bring them back from holidays, along with cannabis soap, vodka etc.

Back