• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannabis Is Good For You

Ever notice that whenever they legalize a drug; everybody gets sick and has to have it.

Ever notice that whenever they legalize a drug; everybody gets sick and has to have it.

It's probably a corollary to the related fact that whenever Big Pharma devises a new drug product they blitz the airwaves advertising some new illness or syndrome the target audience is left to suspect they may have.

Now that cannibidol (CBD) oil or capsules can be legally bought in Holland and Barrett (other herbalists are available) I'm tempted to try it to see if it helps with my arthritic knee pain and occasional insomnia. Bit concerned about some of the reported side effects though, including nausea, anxiety and diarrhoea.
Has any forumist here tried cannabis oil and can vouch for its efficacy (or otherwise)? The reviews on Holland and Barrett's website are mixed.

Now that cannibidol (CBD) oil or capsules can be legally bought in Holland and Barrett (other herbalists are available) I'm tempted to try it to see if it helps with my arthritic knee pain and occasional insomnia. Bit concerned about some of the reported side effects though, including nausea, anxiety and diarrhoea.
Has any forumist here tried cannabis oil and can vouch for its efficacy (or otherwise)? The reviews on Holland and Barrett's website are mixed.
It's sold legally in NYS. I tried putting the oil under the tough, big waste of time here. I just tried vaping the oil say 5 to 6 hit's. This did seem to take the edge off some edgy back pain for 2 to 3 hours. Hope this helps.

My own doctor admits that Big Pharma is primarily interested masking symptoms; they have very little incentive to actually cure anything. The big money is in doctoring symptoms. He suspects there are cures out there for several maladies but cures kill the bottom line. That's one major reason I subscribe, as much as possible, to the herbal healer.I know for a fact that one natural system can and does stop colds and most flu's dead. Since 2002 I have had no colds except twice when doctors took me off my natural herbal cures. As son as I could I went back to the herbals and have had neither colds or flu. Several of my doctors staff have told me they have used my herbal recommendations with great success as they are constantly exposed to people with colds and flu. My doctor told me that one of these days I'd get hit with a flu the herbs cannot block. I said, "So what, that often happens with your flu shot". I taught school for 42 years. Talk about a bug barn. I got the flu or several colds every year. But none since the herbals (except the two exceptions I earlier noted.)

My own doctor admits that Big Pharma is primarily interested masking symptoms; they have very little incentive to actually cure anything. The big money is in doctoring symptoms. He suspects there are cures out there for several maladies but cures kill the bottom line. That's one major reason I subscribe, as much as possible, to the herbal healer.I know for a fact that one natural system can and does stop colds and most flu's dead. Since 2002 I have had no colds except twice when doctors took me off my natural herbal cures. As son as I could I went back to the herbals and have had neither colds or flu. Several of my doctors staff have told me they have used my herbal recommendations with great success as they are constantly exposed to people with colds and flu. My doctor told me that one of these days I'd get hit with a flu the herbs cannot block. I said, "So what, that often happens with your flu shot". I taught school for 42 years. Talk about a bug barn. I got the flu or several colds every year. But none since the herbals (except the two exceptions I earlier noted.)

As we're approaching the flu season, are you willing to share your herbal formula with us?

My own doctor admits that Big Pharma is primarily interested masking symptoms; they have very little incentive to actually cure anything. The big money is in doctoring symptoms. He suspects there are cures out there for several maladies but cures kill the bottom line.
Yep, I've been saying the same for years. But lots of people tell me I'm wrong for 'badmouthing' the pharma industry.
At least you have an honest doctor.

I see that the price of shares in the new pot industry is going up.
And the problem appears to be that the manufacturers can't get enough plants to fill demand.
Don't believe me ? watch CNBC.

Sound familiar ?

The latest 'big thing' for the money boys and girls to drool over. Another cash cow for the already rich.

Bit coin is going down the pan. Scam busted.

And how many people will be damaged by this 'medicinal' marijuana . Talk about medicated goo.

Lily the Pink won't even get a look in.

Don't you guys remember how anti-depressants were going to save the world ?

Now millions are hooked.

The whole thing stinks.

Keep this in mind. The people who are going to make a lot of money don't give a rat's arse about what happens to the mugs who buy the stuff. Anymore than the sleazy creeps who sells tempting little packets on street corners.

HAL.

Keep this in mind. The people who are going to make a lot of money don't give a rat's arse about what happens to the mugs who buy the stuff. Anymore than the sleazy creeps who sells tempting little packets on street corners.
^this^

I see that the price of shares in the new pot industry is going up.
And the problem appears to be that the manufacturers can't get enough plants to fill demand.
Don't believe me ? watch CNBC.

Sound familiar ?

The latest 'big thing' for the money boys and girls to drool over. Another cash cow for the already rich.

Bit coin is going down the pan. Scam busted.

And how many people will be damaged by this 'medicinal' marijuana . Talk about medicated goo.

Lily the Pink won't even get a look in.

Don't you guys remember how anti-depressants were going to save the world ?

Now millions are hooked.

The whole thing stinks.

HAL.

I dunno - weed is probably preferable to anti-depressants. As I understand it there's also bad addiction problems with strong [legal] pain-killers in some places. Weed is probably preferable to them as well.

Is the sale of marijuana really causing problems? A lot of countries are doing the same..

Reactions: Jim
Is the sale of marijuana really causing problems? A lot of countries are doing the same..
It may cause some problems in the short term. People who live in a place where it is suddenly legalised may run a bit wild in the beginning. You'll get people driving under the influence, etc.
Eventually, it'll even out to the situation we have now for alcohol.
Governments everywhere secretly want to legalise it, to reduce the strain on the police and to start a new tax revenue stream.

People who live in a place where it is suddenly legalised may run a bit wild in the beginning. You'll get people driving under the influence, etc.

Governments everywhere secretly want to legalise it, to reduce the strain on the police and to start a new tax revenue stream.

They may - but are they? I haven't read reports of people running wild ala 'reefer madness'. People already drive under the influence.

People are going to do it anyway. Why not get a revenue stream out of it? I assume there's an age requirement.

Reactions: Jim
I dunno - weed is probably preferable to anti-depressants. As I understand it there's also bad addiction problems with strong [legal] pain-killers in some places. Weed is probably preferable to them as well.

Is the sale of marijuana really causing problems??? A lot of countries are doing the same..
Weed reduces pain (not eliminates it). It's doesn't provide a total pain block, typical of Oxycodone or Morphine, however these opiates will ruin the patent. Weed is being used to effectively treat patents with opiate addictions. CIP after major surgery due to service related injuries I received intravenous morphine for 4 - 5 wks. During that short time I became addicted. A thoroughly miserable experience. A few tokes helped as we weaned off.

Weed has effectively reduce PSD, anxiety, depression, reduce nausea and stimulate appetite in cancer patents, treat glaucoma. It's not a cure all and likely the amount of improvement likely varies from patent to patent. Like many drugs it can be abused and is perhaps habit forming for extremely users, however it generally produces no physical addiction.

It may cause some problems in the short term. People who live in a place where it is suddenly legalised may run a bit wild in the beginning. You'll get people driving under the influence, etc.
Eventually, it'll even out to the situation we have now for alcohol.
Not true in NYS. The people who are using it pretty much are using it (recall prohibition it only caused people to drink more). It will never be legal on a recreational bases for minors nor should it be.

Weed, the new wonder drug. The only wonder is who it'll make rich and who it'll totally wreck. I hope I never need anything stronger than aspirin.

Weed, the new wonder drug. The only wonder is who it'll make rich and who it'll totally wreck. I hope I never need anything stronger than aspirin.
Perhaps you'll be so lucky. Many are not. To make cynical - frivolous remarks that weed is the new "wonder drug" is an uniformed statement IMO. BTW w/o so called wonder drugs, i.e:. antibiotics, anticancer drugs, high blood pressure meds, anti clotting drugs, etc. our lifespan wouldn't be ~ 80 years.
The pointless argument about certain doctors and pharmaceutical companies not always have the patents best interest at stack is akin to debating politics or religion. It has little to do with this tread "Cannabis is Good for You"
If you remain skeptical about the beneficial properties of cannabis trying googling or research the topic yourselves. BTW the only ones getting rich in regions when cannabis is illegal are criminal networks. I'd rather a bit of money goes to the state to build roads, infrastructure, social welfare programs , etc..

Hunck,

..Why not get a revenue stream out of it?..

Says it all, doesn't it .

So, let's look at all the happy little souls. Toking on their spliffs.

How COOL.

No, actually, how sad.

Let us ignore all the people who can't get through the day without their smoke.

Who's whole being depends upon it. The ones we see standing on street corners 'waiting for their Man'.

Because weed does have a very negative effect on the people who use it. And I do know the users will vehemently deny this.

Well they would, wouldn't they ?

And let us ignore all the crime and corruption going on in the supply chain. All the gangs who make lots of money out of supplying it and are quite happy to beat up or even kill anyone queering their pitch.

The creepy shits with no obvious employment driving around in £50,000 cars.

It's a vile industry. And making it legal will not fix the problem, it will just move it around.

I imagine that more than a few here use it. And I have no wish to fall out with you. It's your problem.

But it is also mine. And a problem for all the folks who have to live on areas crawling with junkies and their dealers.

And, of course, for the discerning addict there is always some new recreational chemical coming out next week.

But as Hunk suggests,

Why not make some money out of it ?

Plenty of mugs wanting their next hit.

Maybe y'all should have a listen to 'Waiting for my Man'. (Velvet Underground).

The truth is indeed out there.

INT21

Who has all too many family member wrecked by drugs; and they all started on weed.

Hunck,

How COOL.

No, actually, how sad.

Who's whole being depends upon it. The ones we see standing on street corners 'waiting for their Man'.

Because weed does have a very negative effect on the people who use it. And I do know the users will vehemently deny this.

And let us ignore all the crime and corruption going on in the supply chain. All the gangs who make lots of money out of supplying it and are quite happy to beat up or even kill anyone queering their pitch.

It's a vile industry. And making it legal will not fix the problem, it will just move it around.

I imagine that more than a few here use it. And I have no wish to fall out with you. It's your problem.

But it is also mine. And a problem for all the folks who have to live on areas crawling with junkies and their dealers.

And, of course, for the discerning addict there is always some new recreational chemical coming out next week.

But as Hunk suggests,

INT21

Who has all too many family member wrecked by drugs; and they all started on weed.
Yep. Plus, there's a sod of a lot of good science that backs thee up.

Hunck.

..Fair enough. Your mind is clearly made up so let's leave it there eh?...

So that is the answer ? Just ignore it.

Sorry, mate. Can't do that. It is too important.

I don't know you from Adam. and have no grudge against you. You do what you want.

But here is my personal interest in this.

One of my daughter is hooked on the stuff. She's no kid, she is nearly 50.

She knows I detest it. And didn't smoke it when around me.

But this was in the past. She moved on to going out into the garden when she wanted a smoke.

Then it got to lighting up in the house when she was in a room talking to my wife; who condoned it.

Now she just lights up in the same room I am in regardless of my view on the subject.

The point is, Hunck, she HAS TO have this hit every couple of hours. Gets very 'edgy' if she can't. Has to get home straight from work so she can light up.

It's called addiction, man. And you know it.

It wrecks relationships, health, causes hideous financial troubles for the users.

And it leads to much worst.

Three suicides in the family. Two by drug overdose. Not pot, but the victims started out on pot.

So, nothing against you. Just expressing my view.

INT21.

Hunck,

How COOL.

No, actually, how sad.

But as Hunk suggests,

INT21

Yes, these are indeed, conversely, the main arguments for legalisation: make the er, 'erb' available from the newsagents and the criminals will shut up shop and train to be social workers.

But they won't, will they? The bigger problem currently seems to be these horrible synthetic cannabinoid pot-pourris such as Spice - which are allegedly yielding far greater profits than Heroin now they've been outlawed, but which caused just as much damage when they were legal, being composed of unskillfully mixed research chemicals.

I don't mind admitting that I smoked grass and hashish for years but gave it up as having, dare I say, grown up a bit I could no longer ignore the involvement of some very nasty individuals further up the chain: buying a bit of puff from some friendly spliffhead who lives up the road all seems quite harmless but that's a difficult illusion to maintain once you've started thinking about the situation at all realistically. Not only that, having to make furtive phone calls and texts and meet in car parks to obtain one's drug of choice is a MASSIVE pain in the arse.

Not only that, I seem to remember noticing some hash I'd bought appeared to have bits of clingfilm embedded in it, causing me to seriously consider what the hell kind of toxic rubbish I was welcoming into my respiratory system. Again, so the argument goes, if the stuff were produced under strict regulation it wouldn't be literally poisonous, apart from the horrific amounts of tars etc...yet it would still be easy to produce and sell at lower prices than the highly taxed govt. approved versions - people still queue up to buy smuggled duty-free booze and fags although both can be purchased legally. An off-license near me got into considerable trouble for selling some very cheap 'fake' alcoholic drinks of dubious provenance which as far as anyone knows could've been based on antifreeze or God alone knows what.

The last chap I used to buy cannabis from was a nice guy and I'd known him already. If he'd sold you something substandard or (in the aforementioned case riddled with plastic) he'd contact customers and apologise and give them their money back. He genuinely was a salt-of-the-Earth older stoner who thought he was doing his mates a favour by 'turning them on' - weed products being quite hard to get in my town for a long time. While I don't doubt he harboured no evil intentions and made bugger all money out of it he clearly hadn't the imagination (or chose not) to picture the pyramid of criminality which he was supporting in his small way.

What infuriates me are those people who will tear a strip off anyone with a Nestle product in their larder but think it's very edgy and cool of them to buy some coke off a geezer up an alleyway in Camden or wherever. Again, these are mainly well-meaning people who've failed to consider the wider consequences of their actions...or are perhaps too self-focused to see beyond their recreational habits.

I would say though (and I'm not arguing that cannabis can't be dangerous - not least to the lungs - nor hinting at my superhuman mental resilience) that I used to smoke the stuff A LOT and although I'd miss it when without I didn't feel addicted - and I am extremely prone to become addicted to things - and absolutely did not suffer from the famous 'anti-motivational syndrome'. I'd stay up working for hours on the stuff without my work suffering and if anything was able to concentrate better on many tasks, and enjoyed entire holidays being stoned pretty much all the time with no desire to behave in anything other than a civillised fashion. No sitting in my underpants eating junk food for me!

I did suffer from the odd bit of paranoia sometimes through overindulging, which wasn't fun, but had no trouble quitting at all. But I do feel now that the whole culture of consuming cannabis has changed since my younger days and now seems a much more unpleasant 'scene'.

Of course I'm probably just getting old and not hep to the latest with-it groove, Daddy-o.

Last edited:
Ok Bless my cotton socks. Here is my natural cold preventive. You have to be pretty regular with using it; especially the first year or so. People have tried this have told me it worked for them. The main ingredient is oderless garlic. For the first year you need to take 20 gel pills a day. If you get the odorless garlic at your local Walmart and you get the gel caps you will not smell of garlic. If you goof and get the oder-free garlic, I can only figure they are giving you the oder for free because these little white pills do stink. Couple the garlic with 5000 units of vitamin D. That's usually one gel cap rated at 5000 units of vit D. After the first year you can cut the garlic down to 10 gel caps daily. Sounds like a lot of garlic, but it does depend on how much you dislike colds and flu. It will take about two months to gain full immunity. I am giving you my own experience here.

Hunck.

..Fair enough. Your mind is clearly made up so let's leave it there eh?...

So that is the answer ? Just ignore it.

Sorry, mate. Can't do that. It is too important.

I don't know you from Adam. and have no grudge against you. You do what you want.

But here is my personal interest in this.

One of my daughter is hooked on the stuff. She's no kid, she is nearly 50.

She knows I detest it. And didn't smoke it when around me.

But this was in the past. She moved on to going out into the garden when she wanted a smoke.

Then it got to lighting up in the house when she was in a room talking to my wife; who condoned it.

Now she just lights up in the same room I am in regardless of my view on the subject.

The point is, Hunck, she HAS TO have this hit every couple of hours. Gets very 'edgy' if she can't. Has to get home straight from work so she can light up.

It's called addiction, man. And you know it.

It wrecks relationships, health, causes hideous financial troubles for the users.

And it leads to much worst.

Three suicides in the family. Two by drug overdose. Not pot, but the victims started out on pot.

So, nothing against you. Just expressing my view.

INT21.

OK here's a longer reply.

I do sympathise with your daughter's, & hence your, problem. My sister is married to a serious alcoholic so I am aware how destructive addiction is. She's reached the end of her tether after many years & is now putting the wheels in motion to separate. Not so easy when you have 30 years of history behind you.

Addictive personalities can latch on to other things - alcohol, gambling, food, spring to mind. All of which are legal & generate income streams far in excess of anything marijuana is likely to do, and which can be as destructive as drug addiction, done to excess.

Gambling in particular would seem to have no benefit whatsoever apart from fleecing people & making bookies/gambling sites rich. Gambling addiction can ruin lives. I suppose it doesn't have a direct health drawback but that's about all you can say for it.

What I'm getting at is that whilst overdoing it with any of these is harmful, it probably affects quite a small percentage of people, the majority being able not to do overdo to massive excess.

Your point about crime & corruption/gangs in the supply chain & people hanging around on street corners for 'the man' would be done away with in a legalised supply chain. Clearly, some government authorities have come to the conclusion that marijuana is less harmful than many other drugs & there's some opinion that it may in fact have some 'health benefits' - you don't see legal crack/smack suppliers in your town. If you want those, you may well have to hang around on street corners.

Of course, I fully understand that none of this is any consolation to you in your situation..

Does your daughter have addiction problems with other substances or just marijuana, now or in previous times?

...Does your daughter have addiction problems with other substances or just marijuana, now or in previous times?...

No.

What is annoying me most is that the authorities refuse to see this as a problem and have decided to make money out of it instead.

I predict that when pot is completely legalised the criminals will still be there; just as they are with alcohol and tobacco.

They will be in there undercutting the legal system. Same as it ever was.

INT21

Ok Bless my cotton socks. Here is my natural cold preventive. You have to be pretty regular with using it; especially the first year or so. People have tried this have told me it worked for them. The main ingredient is oderless garlic. For the first year you need to take 20 gel pills a day. If you get the odorless garlic at your local Walmart and you get the gel caps you will not smell of garlic. If you goof and get the oder-free garlic, I can only figure they are giving you the oder for free because these little white pills do stink. Couple the garlic with 5000 units of vitamin D. That's usually one gel cap rated at 5000 units of vit D. After the first year you can cut the garlic down to 10 gel caps daily. Sounds like a lot of garlic, but it does depend on how much you dislike colds and flu. It will take about two months to gain full immunity. I am giving you my own experience here.
Wow! That's a lot. But it works for you, which is the main thing.

...Does your daughter have addiction problems with other substances or just marijuana, now or in previous times?...

No.

What is annoying me most is that the authorities refuse to see this as a problem and have decided to make money out of it instead.

I predict that when pot is completely legalised the criminals will still be there; just as they are with alcohol and tobacco.

They will be in there undercutting the legal system. Same as it ever was.

INT21
Are you in California?

Thanks for that. I've not tried the garlic tablets, but do use a lot of garlic when I'm cooking. Does sound like you're taking quite an extreme dose but, if it works for you, that's great.

As for cannabis, I bought some 5% (the strongest you can legally buy in the UK I believe) oil from Holland and Barrett a couple of days ago and have been taking a couple of drops 3 or 4 times a day. Can't say I've noticed any change yet in my aching joints or my insomnia, but it tastes pretty revolting - like damp cardboard mixed with grass cuttings.
Will report back in maybe a month, if there's any significant change.

Mythopoeika,

..Are you in California?..

No, I'm in the UK.

What on Earth makes you think I may be in California ?

INT21

Back