• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannabis Is Good For You

Good news.

A couple accused of producing cannabis-laced chocolate bars have had the case against them dropped after prosecutors said they would offer no evidence.

Lezley Gibson had been using the drug to relieve the symptoms of multiple sclerosis, her legal team said. She and her husband Mark, both 55 and from Yewdale Road, Carlisle, had denied three charges relating to cannabis.

The prosecution has told Carlisle Crown Court it was "not in the public interest" to proceed against the pair. The charges were brought after their home was raided by police in January 2019. Officers confiscated 10 baby cannabis plants and three homemade cannabis chocolate bars.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-51012019

Did the evidence go missing and the prosecutors could really do with some snacks now?

Making cannabis oil at home ian't so good for you.

A man who was using butane to make cannabis oil caused an explosion that destroyed two flats, a court has heard.

James Toogood, 36, was seen fleeing the burning building on Whitchurch Road in Bristol with his clothes on fire, a jury at Bristol Crown Court was told. One woman escaped from the fire caused by the blast by jumping from an upper-floor flat on to a trampoline. Mr Toogood denies damaging property being reckless as to whether life was endangered.

Prosecuting, David Maunder said the explosion, just after 20:00 GMT on 23 February 2019, caused £260,000 of damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51806662

Making cannabis oil at home ian't so good for you.

A man who was using butane to make cannabis oil caused an explosion that destroyed two flats, a court has heard.

James Toogood, 36, was seen fleeing the burning building on Whitchurch Road in Bristol with his clothes on fire, a jury at Bristol Crown Court was told. One woman escaped from the fire caused by the blast by jumping from an upper-floor flat on to a trampoline. Mr Toogood denies damaging property being reckless as to whether life was endangered.

Prosecuting, David Maunder said the explosion, just after 20:00 GMT on 23 February 2019, caused £260,000 of damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51806662
The best and safest method is to use a dry herb vaporizer. It heats the cannabis w/o it burning (like it would with a bong , bowl, etc). This eliminates virtually all carcinogens and tar.

Cannabis has been legal here in Canada for almost 3 years now. I was finally able to afford purchasing some, in bud form, about 2 weeks ago.

I quit smoking cigarettes and not a single moment has past in months that I haven't been craving it. It would be so easy to go buy a pack and cave in to the cravings. I really don't want to do that. Most of my friends quit 5-10 years ago and when I asked, they said they still have the same craving issues.

I'm pretty sure I have put on a significant amount of weight since quitting just trying to fill the gap. I'm too scared to step on the scales and look. It really helps to be able to take a puff of cannabis from a pipe when the craving gets too strong.

It really helps to be able to take a puff of cannabis from a pipe when the craving gets too strong.

l’m not convinced that palliating your addiction to smoking tobacco by smoking cannabis is your best move.

maximus otter

l’m not convinced that palliating your addiction to smoking tobacco by smoking cannabis is your best move.

maximus otter

maximus otter

If it were my first time, I would probably agree.

I've been smoking cannabis since I was 13 years old. I can take it or leave it I don't have an addiction issue using it. Same with alcohol. My entire immediate family are alcoholics. I don't really care for it though.

With the fact that I smoked cigarettes for 54 years before quitting, it is going to take a few years for my lungs to heal. Therefore, I am only able to take a small pinch between my fingers off a bud of cannabis for the pipe and inhale that over 2 or 3 tries because it makes me cough until my face turns beet red and tears roll down my face if I do it any other way.

The surprising part for me is that I get a nice little buzz from that tiny wee pinch. Makes me wonder how much I wasted over the years smoking an entire joint at a time. lol

I developed many bad habits in my 61 years of life. Cigarettes are the only thing that I had a really huge struggle giving up. I was so addicted.

I will never smoke another cigarette as long as I live.

So... you if you gave up smoking a few months ago, did you start smoking cigarettes at the age of six?

Yes, I clearly remember sitting at the kitchen table with my younger brother, mother & her boyfriend. I was smoking a cigarette and he was smoking a big fat cigar stub. My mother's boyfriend would hand it to my 5 year old brother everyday when he walked in the door after getting home from work. I also remember sitting in front of my dresser mirror and practicing how to blow smoke rings when I was 7.

Blimey. Amazing you made it to adulthood!

I have had that same thought many times. The things that I have seen. Places I've been. Chances I took. I have lived such a full life and now at age 61 going on 200, I am exhausted. I don't even have anything left to do on my bucket list. Seriously, somebody up/down/out there likes me.

I am a statistical phenomenon. I should not still be here.

I have had that same thought many times. The things that I have seen. Places I've been. Chances I took. I have lived such a full life and now at age 61 going on 200, I am exhausted. I don't even have anything left to do on my bucket list. Seriously, somebody up/down/out there likes me.

I am a statistical phenomenon. I should not still be here.
You will live to be 200!

2 totally diff
Cannabis has been legal here in Canada for almost 3 years now. I was finally able to afford purchasing some, in bud form, about 2 weeks ago.

I quit smoking cigarettes and not a single moment has past in months that I haven't been craving it. It would be so easy to go buy a pack and cave in to the cravings. I really don't want to do that. Most of my friends quit 5-10 years ago and when I asked, they said they still have the same craving issues.

I'm pretty sure I have put on a significant amount of weight since quitting just trying to fill the gap. I'm too scared to step on the scales and look. It really helps to be able to take a puff of cannabis from a pipe when the craving gets too strong.
Tobacco is by far and away more additive and dangerous then cannabis. Nor will one craving repplace the other. Sorry to disappoint. I quit the tobacco 30+ years ago. I just white knocked it for a ~2, then it never bothered me again, hope this is encouraging. Don't mistake me the 1st 2 weeks were difficult. I distinctly remember feeling very fitchitty for those 1st few weeks.

Yes, I clearly remember sitting at the kitchen table with my younger brother, mother & her boyfriend. I was smoking a cigarette and he was smoking a big fat cigar stub. My mother's boyfriend would hand it to my 5 year old brother everyday when he walked in the door after getting home from work. I also remember sitting in front of my dresser mirror and practicing how to blow smoke rings when I was 7.
Ya folks weren't very concerned about 2nd hand smoke back in the day. Both parents smoked as did most of their friends and family with us kids around, however they never tried to getting me to smoke. The punks down the corner did that.

Vaporized cannabis is goof for you.

Cannabis appears to be a safe and potentially effective treatment for the chronic pain that afflicts people with sickle cell disease, according to a new clinical trial co-led by University of California, Irvine researcher Kalpna Gupta and Dr. Donald Abrams of UC San Francisco. The findings appear in JAMA Network Open.

"These trial results show that vaporized cannabis appears to be generally safe," said Gupta, a professor of medicine on the faculty of UCI's Center for the Study of Cannabis. "They also suggest that sickle cell patients may be able to mitigate their pain with cannabis—and that cannabis might help society address the public health crisis related to opioids. Of course, we still need larger studies with more participants to give us a better picture of how cannabis could benefit people with chronic pain."

Opioids are currently the primary treatment for the chronic and acute pain caused by sickle cell disease. But the rise in opioid-associated deaths has prompted physicians to prescribe them less frequently, leaving sickle cell patients with fewer options.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-cannabis-potential-mitigating-sickle-cell.html

Ya folks weren't very concerned about 2nd hand smoke back in the day. Both parents smoked as did most of their friends and family with us kids around, however they never tried to getting me to smoke. The punks down the corner did that.
I used to pull the cigs out of my punk rock girlfriend's mouth and stomp 'em on the sidewalk when I was a junior in high school; then my friend (later shot dead in a gun accident) got me started on the accursed things, and another friend would pull them out of my mouth and stomp them --Export A green nonfilters.. Yeeechhh!:sick2:
Then I smoked all manner of cigarettes, including cloves and bidis --two packs a day apiece with the girlfriend in a dorm room; you could cut slices of the air and serve it up. Incense too --a lot of incense, and other things... Birds would fall out of the air of they approached the dorm too closely.. :cool: Drank a lot too! :p It took a long time to stop smoking --lots of attempts; it takes a lot of long walks and breathing, solitude and a change in the daily routine of life to make things like that stick --and then you have to be able to deal with future stresses and situations without going back. But it can should be done! Honestly I don't know how one doesn't perish after smoking a pack of cigarettes, now that I look back on it as a nonsmoker..

Thanks for the correction on Hicks. My bad. My other example was going to be Frank Zappa. That was prostate, right? Can someone with the correct knowledge confirm or deny that being lifestyle-related?
While I believe MODERATE use of tobacco & pot does me more overall mental good than physical harm, I can say without a doubt from hearing Zappa speak & reading interviews that he was adamantly drug-free & often (if not always) demanded his musicians be the same. I have no knowledge of any other aspects of his lifestyle.
And yet, and yet...Keith Richard & Jimmy Page have lived to ripe old ages.

Frank Zappa was notorious for his chronic and intensive coffee drinking and cigarette smoking.

It's sometimes alleged he didn't drink at all, but he was known to drink wine with meals (but, so far as I know, not at all outside a meal context). He admitted to having tried marijuana a few times in the early Sixties, but rejected it. AFAIK he never tried anything stronger such as speed, hallucinogens or opiates.

In general he despised any substance usage that didn't (in his opinion) contribute to sharpened wits and / or sustained effort, and he repeatedly satirized folks who use drugs for escape or passive recreational kicks.

Zappa wa a very focused workaholic, and he expected his collaborators to be similarly focused at all times. He forbade members of his group(s) to use any intoxicants while working with him and touring, and he was serious enough about this to fire band members who didn't comply.

And yet, and yet...Keith Richard & Jimmy Page have lived to ripe old ages.
I suspect those old rock stars have exaggerated their drinking and drug-taking.
Look at the Stones. They can't all be mainlining coke all day long. At their age, coke can cause heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure etc.

Reactions: Jim
Not so sure on the Tabaco, but spot on about the cannabis. I started smoking while in the US Army some 45 - 50 years ago. If used with some common sense it both relives my pain as well as can help relax for an enjoyable evening with some good food and a cocktail. "Oh No" cannabis and alcohol I must be a criminal drug abuser, (LOL). Moderation is the key, same applies to coffee and those wonderful Swiss and German chocolates. I never smoke or drink when there was work to be done. Time to get off the soap box, like religion and politics these are individualistic opinions.

Initial survey results suggest cannabis and / or CBD can provide short-term relief from OCD, and further research is recommended.
Cannabis reduces OCD symptoms by half in the short-term

People with obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, report that the severity of their symptoms was reduced by about half within four hours of smoking cannabis, according to a Washington State University study.

The researchers analyzed data inputted into the Strainprint app by people who self-identified as having OCD, a condition characterized by intrusive, persistent thoughts and repetitive behaviors such as compulsively checking if a door is locked. After smoking cannabis, users with OCD reported it reduced their compulsions by 60%, intrusions, or unwanted thoughts, by 49% and anxiety by 52%.

The study, recently published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, also found that higher doses and cannabis with higher concentrations of CBD, or cannabidiol, were associated with larger reductions in compulsions.

"The results overall indicate that cannabis may have some beneficial short-term but not really long-term effects on obsessive-compulsive disorder," said Carrie Cuttler, the study's corresponding author and WSU assistant professor of psychology. "To me, the CBD findings are really promising because it is not intoxicating. This is an area of research that would really benefit from clinical trials looking at changes in compulsions, intrusions and anxiety with pure CBD." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-10/wsu-cro101920.php

Frank Zappa was notorious for his chronic and intensive coffee drinking and cigarette smoking.

It's sometimes alleged he didn't drink at all, but he was known to drink wine with meals (but, so far as I know, not at all outside a meal context). He admitted to having tried marijuana a few times in the early Sixties, but rejected it. AFAIK he never tried anything stronger such as speed, hallucinogens or opiates.

In general he despised any substance usage that didn't (in his opinion) contribute to sharpened wits and / or sustained effort, and he repeatedly satirized folks who use drugs for escape or passive recreational kicks.

Zappa wa a very focused workaholic, and he expected his collaborators to be similarly focused at all times. He forbade members of his group(s) to use any intoxicants while working with him and touring, and he was serious enough about this to fire band members who didn't comply.

Yeah Lou Reed mentioned that Zappa was just in it for the money.

Yeah Lou Reed mentioned that Zappa was just in it for the money.
In an interview with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow show (circa mid-1970s) Zappa said he believed the only difference between a rock musician and someone in a symphony orchestra is that the former wanted to make the big money now and the latter was just waiting for a pension.

In an interview with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow show (circa mid-1970s) Zappa said he believed the only difference between a rock musician and someone in a symphony orchestra is that the former wanted to make the big money now and the latter was just waiting for a pension.

I think that's nonsense frankly.

Rock musicians have more chances of getting laid, & can participate in producing music without having to go through years of formal musical education etc. Many classically trained musicians are not good at improvising which is where the real fun is, having been brought up for years on reading/interpreting existing scores in which improvisation plays little to no part. Principal soloists may have a little more but they're still basically following scores.

Recording & multitracking adds a whole new level of creativity & experimentation which most symphony orchestra musicians don't go near.

This applies not only to rock but other genres as well.

Reactions: Jim
I agree with you in great part, hunck, although I think there are a lot of classically trained musicians whose tastes and talents exceed what their jobs demand of them. My reason for bringing up what Zappa said was more about his view of things, not mine.

Initial survey results suggest cannabis and / or CBD can provide short-term relief from OCD, and further research is recommended.
OCD is a topic with exceptional relevance to myself.

Both my son and daughter had traumatic symptoms when they were growing up, my daughter specifically.

As parents, we never knew anything about OCD.

When our daughter - circa 7 years old - wouldn't get into bed at night until she had attempted to some 60-70 times, or wouldn't stop switching a light on/off for same because, 'It didn't feel right', we put it down to simply being 'mischievous'.

When around 12-14 years old, the condition was diagnosed and she was prescribed medication.

It did help dramatically, however, the side-effects were horrendous. The mood swings were often violent and she went through hell.

Thankfully, it eventually settled down and gradually dissapated when she became 18-19.

My son's symptoms developed later, when he was 14-15 and included not being able to let go of what he was holding - cups, glasses, door handles, etc. and an obsession with having to fold his clothes up 20-30 times at night before it was, 'alright'.

Fascinating to read the article you highlight as he still has occasional symptoms which cause anxiety, especially in social situations.

It's a case of never being certain something will manifest. When in his company, I still always look out for same and if he's at my house, we share the humour that when he's leaving I open all the doors and religiously remark, 'I'll get that, mate'. It's become a ritual!

I have come to realise many of ourselves have habits which are perhaps indistinguishable from OCD.

Case in point being my daughter pointing out a few years ago:

'Dad, you know you have an OCD like habit'?

Responding that, 'certainly not to my knowledge', she pointed out I am forever rearranging cushions.

Absurd...

Except that I do... and can't help it!

If they don't look, 'just right', then rearranged they shall be.

That aside, my son has been experimenting this past 9 months with CBD hemp.

As have I... new order just arrived...

Screenshot_20201023_005517_resize_29.jpg

This is, of course, the >0.2% THC bud you can readily buy online here.

Leaving aside issues re the legality of same, the question of whether CBD hemp could be beneficial for those who suffer from OCD or anxiety, is an unequivocal affirmative.

I haven't partaken of any in recent days, because I don't need to. It remains an experiment with the intent of helping my son judge the conclusions.

In his case, the occasional use has been a fundamental support to call upon.

Moreso and this has been critical - he no longer needs visit hash dealers for a supply of something alleviating. That inevitably leads to meeting characters who will offer much more insideous temptations.

So, does CBD bud work without the THC?

The overwhelming concensus is finding a calmness and a relaxation of anxieties, stress, insomnia, etc. without the THC madness.

That has been my own experience.

Plus, if you enjoy the actual smoking experience, the quality is different league, with a splendid variety to choose from.

There is a value to such research and availability should not be 'underground', as it still is.

Furthermore, selling CBD buds online from the UK is strictly illegal, as explained here:

CBD Regulation and Laws in the UK

https://www.medicpro.london/cbd-regulation-laws-uk/

Isn't it funny how a thread titled "Cannabis is good for you" has in some spots become an exchange of musical ideas? Makes perfect sense by my lights, but my mother would have said, "See! I told you so about the rock & roll!".
God bless her; a little reefer would have done her a world of good. :airk:

Hopefully they get THC Beer and Wine to perfection and then I can knock the alcohol on the head and liking it a bit too much.

Hopefully they get THC Beer and Wine to perfection and then I can knock the alcohol on the head and liking it a bit too much.
Won't one addiction replace the other?

Back