• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

[QUOTE="_schnor, post:

Let's hope I wouldn't get the taste for it, like a nice, cold pint of stella on a hot summers day. "Let's just have the one *glug*, perhaps two *glug*", etc, .etc ;)[/QUOTE]

I dont think the rest of us will have to worry, if you do get a craving for your friends flesh. Kuru disease would more than likely kill you off with in 3-6 month any how. ;)

chrisknight2.jpg

Kuru disease would more than likely kill you off with in 3-6 month any how. ;)

Depends on who you ate. Not everybody in the world carries the Kuru prion.
Also, just avoid eating the brain and spinal tissue.

*Desperately tries to resist making gag about having a mouthful of Koch*
The joke really doesn't work that well, as it's pronounced "coke". I don't know why, either.

The joke really doesn't work that well, as it's pronounced "coke". I don't know why, either.
Probably an affectation along with Cholmondeley, St John, and Mainwaring, although Boehner along with the brothers has probably heard every penis joke going.

Probably an affectation along with Cholmondeley, St John, and Mainwaring, although Boehner along with the brothers has probably heard every penis joke going.

Although with St John it is the French pronunciation, there is also a variant of it: Syngen.

A bit off topic, but while we're on about names....is 'Menzies' always pronounced 'Mengis'?

Er... because that's how you pronounce it?

I know in England that the shop is pronounced Men-zeez, at least by my in laws. So I could ask why do they say it wrong? :)

I'm probably missing something, in which case apologies davidplankton, sir :)

Er... because that's how you pronounce it?

I know in England that the shop is pronounced Men-zeez, at least by my in laws. So I could ask why do they say it wrong? :)

I'm probably missing something, in which case apologies davidplankton, sir :)
No I wasn't questioning why it's pronounced that way, but if it always was. I know about the shop and it's pronunciation here, I wondered if there was an English version ( Men-zeez ) or if everyone who says it that way is wrong.

Menzies Campbell claims that his name was originally spelt with an unusual character that fell out of use and was replaced with a 'z'. Therefore he claims that his name should be pronounced 'Mingis'.
The same (perhaps) may not necessarily be said about John Menzies.

There is a way of writing a lower case z that looks a lot like a g, it's fallen out of fashion but could explain the pronunciation.

A bit off topic, but while we're on about names....is 'Menzies' always pronounced 'Mengis'?
Not if you're talking about the former Prime Minister of Australia and founder of the Liberal Party.

Which was odd when Australian Prime Ministers turned up on a connecting wall on Only Connect because it never occurred to me to pronounce it that way. I figured Mr Campbell was just using a nickname. (Which, oddly enough Sir Robert shared, although it was usually followed by "the Merciless".)

Man at center of Irish cannibal murder found not guilty by reason of insanity

An Italian man who killed his landlord and dismembered his body has been found not guilty by reason of insanity for the murder of his friend Tom O’Gorman.

Saverio Bellante (36) admits to killing freelance journalist and part-time worker at the Iona Institute Tom O’Gorman (39) after an argument over a game of chess in O’Gorman’s house in Beechpark Avenue, Castleknock, West Dublin in January 2014. The pair resided in the house together as landlord and tenant.

Following the argument, Bellante is believed to have killed O’Gorman with a dumbbell and a knife and cut out his right lung before calling police to admit to his crime at 1.50 am on January 12 2014. The lung was found in a plastic bag in the kitchen of the house in Castleknock when police arrived on the scene.

"I was thinking of eating his heart ... I left the smaller part and ate the bigger part, the smaller part wasn't for me," prosecution counsel Patrick Gageby SC read from a statement Mr Bellante gave to police.

Police officer Patrick Traynor told the jury of the scene when he arrived at O’Gormans house saying he found the journalist lying across the carpet with a hole in his chest.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ma...IrishCentral&utm_campaign=Best of IC August 1

The beeb give their Prog a puff here:

The real Moby Dick: Do whales really attack humans?
By Rebecca Coxon

The Whale will be shown on BBC One on Sunday 22nd December at 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25430996

But surprisingly it doesn't mention the cannibalism that was at the heart of the Telegraph story.

Another cannibalism story was about the murder of young Richard Parker - I've mentioned it before, because the accused were brought to trial in Falmouth. It's also covered in some detail in one of the episodes of
Shipwrecks: Britain's Sunken History
still available on BBC iPlayer.

Saw "Heart Of The Sea" today. Based on the story of the Essex. Cannibalism features in it. I liked the Whale, quite effective. Brendan Gleeson narrates the story to Herman Melville, with flashbacks to Gleeson as a 14/15 yr old on the Essex. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/

I'm in two minds about whether to see that or not - I don't really want to watch whaling....

For many years I've been following and incorporating various Aghori practices and spiritual techniques into my daily practice and work. As I was already a practioner of the LHP and my approach to magick was already involved with vāmāchāra, the Aghori is my favourite Hindu sect and I was immediately attracted to their philosophy and ascetic principles when I first discovered them all those years ago.
If you haven't already heard about the Aghori Sadhus they have perhaps one of the single most interesting religious approaches to the consumption of human flesh, in that they believe that the divine is in all things including in the extremes of what is socially and religiously taboo. Aghora cannibalism is principally confined to the eating of flesh from the disposed bodies of the river Ganges and from the cooked flesh of the funeral pyre.

Our main deity of worship is Bhairava, a fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva. I recommend reading up on the sect as it's very interesting from any point of view, both Fortean or spiritual. Robert Svoboda's book, Aghora: At the Left Hand of God, is a great read on the subject and was followed by two sequels.

A Mexican federal security official said drug cartels forced gang members to eat the hearts of murder victims as part of an initiation rite. The hidden purpose behind the alleged cannibalism was to root out infiltrators.

Details about the cannibalism came to light during a local Mexican television interview with Alfredo Castillo, the federal security commissioner in Michoacan, Western Mexico. He said the practice wasn’t widespread, but that various eyewitness accounts indicate that heart-eating was part of an initiation used by La Familia Michoacana and the Knights Templar.

The ritual ranged from dismembering people they intended to kill to sometimes serving up the heart,” Castillo said, according to Reuters.

http://www.dancingturtle.org/2015/01/09/mexican-drug-cartels-made-members-eat-human-hearts/

Our ancestors really were cannibals
By Melissa Hogenboom
16 April 2015

If there was previously any doubt as to the cannibalistic nature of our ancestors, there need not be now.
Ancient remains from a known archaeological site confirm that a group of humans were butchered, carved and eaten.
These remains come from Gough's Cave in Somerset, England, which was last excavated in 1992.
However, scientists have continued to analyse the marks on the bones from this site.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150416-our-ancestors-were-cannibals?ocid=fbert

The article leaves room for this being a an isolated incident. This being true a small group could have been cannibalized by a few crazed individuals during say an abnormally cold - long winter. This it would still likely be taboo but not w/o exception which is true even of modern man. A possible twist?

I reckon cannibalism was a very common, accepted practice back in the dawn of prehistory.
It only became unfashionable because of wisdom, etiquette and the restrictions imposed by religion.

I reckon cannibalism was a very common, accepted practice back in the dawn of prehistory.
It only became unfashionable because of wisdom, etiquette and the restrictions imposed by religion.

But Christians eat Jesus crisps all the time at Communion. Maybe the eating of other humans was more ritualistic than a necessity to their nourishment?

Back