• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

Today's Indie has this story, with this further detail:

"A cannibal who apparently shared a meal of flambeed penis with a willing victim before carving him up and ...
[etc]
..Police ... say the act appeared to stem from the men's cannibalistic and homosexual tendencies."

Reminds me of that grotesque scene in Hannibal where he's serving the guy his own brain. Was it Ray Liotta? I can't remember because I fell asleep in that film!

Here's the report from Reuters (which is prolly where the Indie got it)

you know..

In all my travels and all I've seen, read and heard; this ranks in the top ten..its just so..I don't know..:err:

Texan cannibal killer gets 30 years

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- A man who beat his 79-year-old mother to death, cut her open and ate some of her heart was sentenced Wednesday to 30 years in prison.

Joey Cala, 41, had pleaded guilty Monday to murder in the 2001 death of Lydia Cala, a 76-pound retired teacher and church volunteer.

According to Cala's sister, he wanted their mother's money. But there was no indication the inheritance amounted to much. The woman lived in a modest, one-story house.

Cala's attorney, Robert Ford, had been planning an insanity defense before reaching a plea bargain that spared Cala a life sentence.

State Judge George Gallagher chose the upper end of the 20- to 30-year range specified in the plea bargain. Cala will be eligible for parole in 15 years.

A medical examiner testified that Cala bludgeoned his mother to death, probably with his fists or feet, then cut open her chest and abdomen and removed some organs.

Police found Cala standing over his mother's body, both of them covered in blood, in her bedroom in the home they shared in suburban Hurst. An officer saw Cala eat what appeared to be an organ, police said.

According to police, Cala said that he worshipped the devil and that they had interrupted his sacrifice.

The house had been ransacked, and police found his mother's will on a chair.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/01/09/murder.cannibalism.ap/index.html

Cannibal killer shows up at anti-war protest

"Murderers actually know more about the importance of life than any other people on Earth."

Um, yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/face/0212/1205cannibal.html

Japan's most notorious killer is back on the streets

By Ryann Connell

December 5, 2002

It has been over 21 years since Issei Sagawa committed one of the most shocking and heinous crimes in modern history. He freely admits to having slaughtered a Dutch woman in Paris, sexually violated her corpse, then literally butchered her so he could eat some of her remains.

Sagawa returned to Japan and became something of a morbid celebrity during the late '80s before disappearing from the public eye. But now, according to Shukan Shincho (12/12), Sagawa has reappeared at, of all places, an anti-war demonstration in Tokyo that attracted some 25,000 protesters.

Before going any further, it's important to note that despite what he did to that poor young woman in Paris, Sagawa, for a variety of legal loopholes that space doesn't permit to be explained here, has never been charged for what he did. It makes the now 53-year-old cannibal's presence at protest arguing over the importance of human life all the more ironic.

"What brought me here was the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States last year. Until then, I was totally apolitical. I didn't care about politics or economics. But I thought when (U.S. President George) Bush launched his revenge attack on Afghanistan that it was just like Pearl Harbor. What I mean to say is that he used the excuse of terrorism to launch a war. It was a war that was nothing short of atrocity," the bloodthirsty necrophiliac whose hardly averse to the atrocious tells Shukan Shincho, explaining his astounding conversion to pacifism.

Sagawa claims to have been influenced by an exhibition of photos of Afghan refugees.

"When I let loose the shot from a carbine rifle into that woman in Paris, I thought that life was something that could easily be taken. But having seen the refugees' photo exhibition, I've finally come to realize just how much people will fight for their lives," sick Sagawa tells Shukan Shincho. "I've made it the theme for the remainder of my years to study exactly what life is."

In the wake of his killing, Sagawa neither apologized, nor was he punished for what he did. Instead, the emergence in 1989 of pedophile killer and current Death Row inmate Tsutomu Miyazaki gave Sagawa the opportunity to enter the Japanese media as a commentator on killing.

"Murderers actually know more about the importance of life than any other people on Earth," Sagawa says. "At least based on my experience, I've got no other option than to believe that."

Sagawa claims he has tried to at least seek the forgiveness of his victim's family.

"I hand-wrote a letter in French that I had my father try and pass on to her parents, but they refused to accept it," he says, adding that it would be impossible for him to visit the Netherlands to express his contriteness. "On Nov. 5, my father died after a long battle with the effects of a stroke, my mother has disinherited me and my brother refuses to have anything to do with me. It's all I can do just to get enough for meals each day. And there's my diabetes, which I can hardly scrape up the money for treatment for."

Not surprisingly, there were considerable suspicions of Sagawa's motives for taking part in the peace demonstration.

"I have extreme doubts about how serious he was in taking part in the antiwar demonstration," one of the rally organizers tells Shukan Shincho. "He didn't listen to a word of the explanation about what we were protesting for. He just handed out pamphlets addressed to Prime Minister (Junichiro) Koizumi saying that he had been ostracized from society. Then he said he was going to the Diet Building, which was nowhere near the route the demonstration took. He was carrying a handwritten placard saying, 'People are all beautiful. People shouldn't kill people.'"

Shukan Shincho adds that Sagawa, perhaps because of the chill in the air on the cold December 1st morning of the rally, pulled out of the demonstration after accompanying it for little more than 100 meters. He sat down on a bench in Yoyogi Park and sneered at the homeless men nearby.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

that's like Hitler saying "well, i had lunch with a rabbi friend of mine today and we got to talking about how the kids this days aren't attending Hebrew school as much. sad, really. it's dissolving the fragile bonds that hold the centuries-old traditions of Judaism."

Cannibal Killers

Always wondered what was in "meat" curry....

A court in the Indian capital, Delhi, has found a former politician guilty of murdering his wife and later trying to burn the body in a restaurant oven.
Former Congress party youth leader Sushil Sharma shot his wife Naina Sahni dead in July 1995 before trying to dispose of the corpse.

The courtroom was packed for the end of one of India's grisliest and most talked-about murder cases.

Sharma will be sentenced on Wednesday. Three others were acquitted.

The judge also found restaurant manager Keshav Kumar, a friend of Sharma's, guilty of plotting to dispose of the corpse.

The three acquitted - accused of giving shelter to Mr Sharma after the crime - could not be convicted for lack of evidence.

Sharma shot his wife after suspecting her of having an affair and then cut the body up into pieces, the court heard.

He then took the body to an upmarket city restaurant and put it into the clay oven, or tandoor, with Kumar's help.

The murder shocked the entire country.

Police raided the restaurant after a tip-off and found the charred body parts of Ms Sahni.

Sharma, who headed the youth wing of the Congress party, was arrested in the southern city of Bangalore a few days after the murder.

Analysts say the case could prove embarrassing for Congress in forthcoming state elections.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3237237.stm

And in a break from the German case still running:

Mexican eats father's brains after fight

January 15 2004 at 02:48AM

Mexico City - A 23-year-old Mexican man hacked open his father's head after a row and then ate his brain in the western state of Michigan, justice sources said on Wednesday.

They said the suspect took a machete and rained blows on his 62-year-old parent, cracking open his skull after the father failed to calm his son following an argument.

The son went on to drink blood from the gaping wound in his father's head before eating the man's brains during the incident in the town of Indaparapeo.

The father unsuccessfully "tried to calm his son who aggressively began to tear up" work under construction in the place, a justice official told AFP.

Officials have so far been unable to confirm neighbours' accounts that the son had mental problems. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=122&art_id=qw1074127681397B252&set_id=1

Now I'm not a qualified psychiatrist but my only other explanation is that he was a zombie (see the "Dawn of the Dead" thread for more ;) ).

Emps

Emperor said:
And in a break from the German case still running:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=122&art_id=qw1074127681397B252&set_id=1

Now I'm not a qualified psychiatrist but my only other explanation is that he was a zombie (see the "Dawn of the Dead" thread for more ;) ).

Emps

No wonder I haven't seen uncle Arturo for a while. I told him bringing back my cousin from the dead was a bad idea, but he wouldn't listen. Now I guess aunty Ana has to try and bring back his hubby. Do you think the lack of gray matter would be an issue here?

Convicted cannibal lives as a free man

Av Øyvind Ludt og Carin Pettersson 26.02.04 13:01

He is convicted of killing and eating his girlfriend, but he is today living as a free man in a Swedish town in spite of the fact that there are chances that he will kill – and eat – again.

The then 30-year-old man killed his 28-year-old girlfriend in November 1979 by drowning her in the bathtub. According to the Swedish paper, he divided her into pieces and ate large parts of her while drinking wine.

The police in Malmö found several kilos of human flesh in the man’s refrigerator, while the rest of the woman, the man had eaten, flushed down the toilet or thrown into the sea.

The man had allegedly worked several days with dividing her body. He allegedly scalped his victim «in order to see what it looked like.»

Sten Levander, the head prosecutor at the psychiatric clinic in Malmö, claims that the convicted man has not changed in spite of spending 23 years in preventative custody, but he has adopted a tidy and since appearance.

In spite of Levander’s evaluations, the 54-year-old is allowed to live as a free man in the Swedish society and report to the clinic once a week. He is currently studying languages on a higher academic level, and he is allegedly very talented. However, he does not have the ability to comprehend how other people think, and he has no empathy.

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article191671.ece

Too liberal a society?

Emps

Okay this news story is a bit outta date with those that appear here but relates to research I did into Sawney Beane, the Scottish Cannibal. Beane according to legend ran amok in either the 16th or the 11th century. The original story, as told by Dr. Johnstone (large pinch of salt required then), stated his family were routed by King James 1st - but as the 1st James of Scotland or the 1st James of England, it is not known. Hence the confusion of the dates. The legend also states that the family, (Sawney, his wife (refered to as Agnes in some stories), their 18 children and the 30 odd grandchildren of Sawney "begot through incestous means with his daughters") abducted and ate over 500 people travelling the coastal roads through Galloway and South West Scotland over a period of five years. When at last brought to justice, the kings soldiers found "limbs hanging from hooks and flesh pickled in sea water", they also located huge piles of fine clothing, trinkets and gold which the Beanes had accumulated over their five year reign of terror. The family were arrested and marched to Edinburgh's toll booth where, without trial (so obviously guilty were they), the men had their hands, feet and privys chopped off and as they bled to death they watched their woman folk burn alive. Lovely old story eh?
Just a legend...until I located this reference...

Source:
The History of Civilisation Volume II
The State of Scotland - 15th Century
Sir Henry Thomas Buckle
“There were cannibals in the land; and we have it on contemporary authority, that a man and his wife, who were at length brought to justice, subsisted during a considerable period on the bodies of children, whom they caught alive in their traps, devouring their flesh and drinking their blood.”

The story is indeed subject to some taboos as over the last ten to fifteen years I have heard about eight film companies attempting to make a film of the legend. I've yet to see one made!!
So if your taking orders make mine a well done Person Party Bucket please!!

What is it about African leaders and cannibalism claims:

Plot to overthrow 'cannibal' president

From AFP
March 12, 2004

MALABO: A conspiracy to abduct the long-serving president of the small oil-rich west African nation of Equatorial Guinea was revealed on national television yesterday by the alleged leader of a group of mercenaries.

"It wasn't a question of taking the life of the head of state, but of spiriting him away, taking him to Spain and forcing him into exile and then of immediately installing the government-in-exile of Severo Moto Nsa," said the man, named as South African Nick du Toit, 48.

President Teodoro Obiang Nguema, who came to power in a 1979 coup in which he had his uncle, former president Francisco Macias Nguema, executed, announced the arrest of 15 mercenaries on Tuesday, saying they were plotting to overthrow him.

He linked them to 67 men arrested in Zimbabwe at the weekend when their plane was impounded. That group has been threatened with execution by Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe.

Equatorial Guinea called yesterday for the extradition of Mr Moto, who tried to mount a coup against Mr Obiang in 1997 from Angola, for which he was sentenced in absentia to 101 years' jail. He recently set up a "government in exile" in Spain.

Mr Moto denied any involvement in the plot and claimed on Spanish radio that Mr Obiang was an "authentic cannibal" who "systematically eats his political rivals".

"A while back he paid millions to those they call marabou (sorcerers) to tell him if his power-base was safe. They told him that to keep his grip on power he had to kill people close to him," Mr Moto said. "Obiang wants me to go back to Guinea and eat my testicles. That's clear."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8942060%5E2703,00.html

Cirkey now I certainly wouldn't be happy with that!!

Emps

The African Queen, Cannibalism, and "Long Pig"

I can't believe that I had never heard this before, but while shooting The African Queen with Bogart and Hepburn, the following event happened (as related by John Huston during his Academy Award Speech):

I remember the baboons lined up on the bank of the river below Merchanson Falls watching Bogie and Katie do a love scene onThe African Queen. They were as attentive as any theater audience. I half expected them to applaud when the scene was finished.

I remember the Congolese soldiers appearing one day at the compound we were building that was to lodge the company when it came. They arrested our native hunter who's task it had been to furnish the ever-bubbling pot with meat from the forest. It was some days before we learned why. Villagers had been missing. Along with the deer, guinea hen, and monkey, we had been eating what is euphemistically called 'long pig.'

Full Speech

I don't know if that means that the stars ate it too, but it's the first case of real cannibalism I've ever heard associated with the movies.

I smell urban legend. "Long Pig" was a Maori/Polynesian term.

Ogopogo said:
I smell urban legend. "Long Pig" was a Maori/Polynesian term.

In fairness Huston is a bit vague as to who it is who calls it "long pig". He isn't actually saying that it is a Congolese term.

Pretty cool story either way and one I've not heard before. Any more film related strangeness??

I read Katharine Hepburn's book on the making of The African Queen a while ago, but I don't recall cannibalism being mentioned. It was a short book, though, maybe it was edited out.

Man makes soup out of stolen bodies to heal wife

I have no idea wher to put this: Grave Goings on? Corpse Mishandling? Cannibalism? SOme kind of magical thread? However, while I ponde the proper filing I thought it worth posting

Man snatches 30 bodies to heal wife

From correspondents in China
April 29, 2004

A CHINESE man has been arrested on suspicion of stealing 30 corpses from local graveyards, cooking soup with their flesh and crushing the bones in a bid to heal his sick wife, state media said on Wednesday.

Police in Kaijiang county, southwestern Sichuan province, detained the 51-year-old, identified by his surname Huang, after corpses had disappeared mysteriously from local cemeteries since 1988, the West China City Daily said.

According to preliminary investigations, he snatched the bodies after a fortune teller told him fresh body parts were the only remedy for his wife's seemingly incurable illness, which was not identified.

He was told to carve off the flesh and cook soup for his wife, or grind the bones into a powder that he was to smear on her forehead, according to the report.

Huang was arrested after comprehensive detective work, triggered by outrage when a recently buried corpse was discovered near a local market with both arms missing and the chest carved open, it said.

The 16-year-long rampage had caused wild rumors to circulate, and grieving relatives had kept a vigil at their loved-ones' graves for up to six months at a time in an effort to protect their bodies.

According to traditional Chinese beliefs, it is essential to be buried with all body parts intact, as otherwise they will be missing in the afterlife.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9419528%5E401,00.html

Emps

Humph!

You would have thought after the first 10 years, he might have sought a second opinon.

No, she waited until he was out of the room, poured the soup away and made herself a Pot Noodle. ( Thinking he was even worse at cooking than my b/f - possibly! )

Bloody hell, that knocks the UL about rat bones in the chinese takeaway meal into a cocked hat, doesn't it?

Carole

Abortion clinic cannibalism??

This postively reeks of UL/SRA or the work of some rabid anti-abortionist:

Posted on Fri, Apr. 30, 2004

Kline alleges filth at abortion clinic

BY DION LEFLER

The Wichita Eagle

TOPEKA - State Attorney General Phill Kline presented materials to legislators Thursday alleging that a Kansas City, Kan., abortion provider operated a dangerously substandard medical facility and even ate fetal tissue.

The allegations about the facilities came during a presentation to the House Committee on Federal and State Affairs.

"It's a place where no woman, no person, should have to undergo a surgical procedure," Kline said.

The allegation that the physician ate fetal tissue was included in written materials that Kline presented to the committee. The report came from a Kansas City police officer; the name of the witness he interviewed was blacked out in documents provided to legislators.

The report, prepared for Kline after officers conducted an investigation of an unrelated theft complaint at the clinic, said officers observed "filthy" conditions in some parts of the facility and blood stains on the floor.

The doctor named in the allegations is Krishna Rajanna, who operates the Affordable Medical and Surgical clinic.

He denied the allegations against him and his clinic, particularly that he consumed fetal tissue.

"That's untrue and a totally, totally made-up story," he said.

Rajanna said he thinks the attorney general was misled. The doctor said he thinks he is the victim of a political smear campaign staged by abortion opponents.

"They've been trying to reduce the number of abortions by doing various things," he said.

Kline, an opponent of abortion, said he thinks conditions at the clinic should prompt both pro-life and pro-choice legislators to agree to pass a stalled bill that would establish strict regulations and inspection requirements for clinics that perform abortions.

He said abortions are an "invasive surgical procedure" and clinics that perform them should have to comply with rules that govern outpatient surgical centers.

At present, abortion clinics fall under rules that apply to doctors' offices, which are largely unregulated.

On Thursday, Rajanna opened his clinic to a reporter from the Associated Press. The wire service said the facility appeared generally clean, but a back room was cluttered.

Kline said he thinks Rajanna had cleaned up the operation since the damaging photos were taken.

The allegations against Rajanna are under investigation by the Kansas Board of Healing Arts. The board can withdraw a physician's license to practice.

Rep. Bill Mason, R-El Dorado, is chairman of the Committee on Federal and State Affairs. He said the report "is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read, if that's true."

He said he expects Kline's presentation will spur tougher regulation of medical offices.

"We do have a real disconnect in the inspection (of abortion clinics) and, I guess, doctor's clinics as well," he said.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/local/8553710.htm

Emps

Last Update: Monday, May 10, 2004. 6:18pm (AEST)

'Camp fire' cannibal receives life

A man accused of murdering and eating his victim has been found guilty by a Northern Territory Supreme Court jury.

David Kevin Loader, 43, killed George Martin, 64, at Mandorah, west of Darwin, in July 2001.

Several witnesses gave evidence that Loader boasted he had killed a man, chopped him up, put him in a camp fire and ate parts of him, including his leg and penis.

The judge imposed a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment.

Sentencing submissions are expected to be given next week when Loader's non-parole period will be decided.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1105219.htm

CANNIBAL CASE HAS JURY WOES

By LAURA ITALIANO and ANDREA PEYSER

May 26, 2004 -- Maybe it was the mention of dismemberment, or maybe it was the reference to the soup made from the victim's bones.

For whatever reason, 11 out of 12 prospective jurors asked to be excused yesterday after hearing the grotesque details of the case at hand in Manhattan Supreme Court — the sanity trial of the notorious 1989 "Butcher of Tompkins Square."

So reluctant were the prospective jurors, that the judge moved to adjourn the case until next week while she reconsiders how much to reveal about the trial to the next panel of prospects.

Yesterday's panel looked overwhelmed as Justice Donna Mills described to them the case of drugged-out psycho Daniel Rakowitz, who murdered — then cooked — his dance-student girlfriend in their Lower East Side apartment 15 years ago.

As Rakowitz, 43, sat at the defense table, the judge gave an introduction to the case.

The victim "was murdered and dismembered and dissected," she told the shocked panel. "And her flesh was cooked and used in a soup that was served to the homeless."

All but one woman raised their hand when asked if they would have a problem serving on the jury.

This is Rakowitz's second attempt to be released from Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center on Wards Island. Lawyers for the Manhattan DA's office and the state Attorney General's Office argue he's still too dangerous to go free.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/21626.htm

Mooksta: "Source:
The History of Civilisation Volume II
The State of Scotland - 15th Century
Sir Henry Thomas Buckle
1857"

I think we have debated Sawney Bean in a much earlier thread. [*See Note]

The account given in Nicholson's Historical & Traditional Tales Connected
with the South of Scotland, 1843, states that Bean lived in the era of King
James I of Scotland. He was a hedger and ditcher by trade.

Scott has references to him too.

I am puzzled by the slighting reference to one "Doctor Johnstone" as some kind
of by-word for inaccuracy. He may be - but I wonder if Doctor Johnson was intended.
:confused:

[*Note]
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/sawney-bean-sawney-beane-tall-tale-or-truth.7623/

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright. As disgusting (to most:cross eye ) as this subject is, it, I think, deserves a place on the FT as one of the highest forms of modern taboo.

If this subject is already covered on some other thread--remove this one/move it somewhere else/do whatever it is you guys do--I couldn't find it...

Back