• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannonball House Ghosts

MrRING

Android Futureman
Just had a friend who visited this anntebelleam house, famous for a single cannon ball that was fired in the Civil & the only shot fired at Macon. Apparently, the shot is still there!

But this friend took the tour, and was told an interesting two ghost stories by the tour guide. One was that a previous staff member had seen the ghost of a woman looking at her petticoat using the weird low mirror devices used by women of the time who could bend off to see if she was showing.

At first the staff member thought somebody had broken in so she went outside for other staff to arrive, only to not find the woman in the building or any sign of forced entry. The woman apparently resigned her post immediately.

The other story, more sensationalistic but interesting if true, was that the only man to work the museam for tours was gay, and was killed in the house by a gay serial killer, and his ghost still haunts the house. In particular, he had a habit for a while of answering the phone and giving out information of the house that was not updated from the time he was murdered, so people would show up only to find that they got the time wrong. If they asked who it was who gave the information and they said it was a guy, they'd know it was the ghost since there wasn't a man on staff at the time of his greatest activity.

And according to the person telling my friends the story, she actually heard the voice of the dead man - he was apparently recorded due to a mishap with their answering machine!

This is all apocrypha unless I find proof (like a murder that would fit the description, or can find somebody with the recording), but I thought it was interesting nevertheless.

Here is the official site for the place:

http://www.cannonballhouse.org

Does anybody have any info on a murder that occured in the house?

From Trip Advisor, someone experienced a ghost at the Cannonball House:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...164066300-Cannonball_House-Macon_Georgia.html

Our highlight was hearing the ghost!​

Review of Cannonball House
Reviewed June 15, 2013
We enjoy civil war history and ole time ways of life. Our tour guide took us thru each room of the house explaining the history of the house and the happenings of the time when the house was hit by a "cannon ball." It was really more of a large bullet like mortar. The house is in mourning-- all of the mirrors are covered by black cloth. There's even a casket in one of the parlor rooms. The tour guide says they do something different each month to highlight different traditions that were kept back in the day. Anyway... The highlight of the tour for us was entering the servant's house and kitchen. Just as we walked in the room, we heard a squeaky toy sound. When I asked what that noise was - thinking it was a dog playing with a squeaky toy, she kinda hestitated and said we call him Matt. I thought, maybe that it was her grandson that she was watching during the summer. No. It's the little child that they hear playing sometimes. The ghost child they hear playing sometimes! Wow! Thanks for a terriffic tour!! We'll be back to investigate more of Macon history.
Official website:
https://www.cannonballhouse.org/

My older brother now lives in Macon... maybe I'll check it out!

Back