Capitol Debate Chamber Washington DC Invaded By Armed Protesters

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
This evening GMT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355

"Armed supporters of President Trump storm the Capitol building and force a lockdown, halting debate in the House and Senate...
Rioters smash windows and clash with police, with one person reportedly shot and wounded. Lawmakers have been taken to an undisclosed location"

Posting because

a) its newsworthy
b) I posted this a few days ago:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...was-going-to-happen.67120/page-5#post-2022201

Just to add, more than six months later than my earlier post, that it seems my 'funny feelings' were fairly accurate and a bit ahead of the announcements. Back in the summer I got a lot of face masks in (n95 types) and gave some each to various relatives and friends as I had a nagging feeling that they would be compulsory soon.

I've had the 'feeling' since October that I need to hunker down again and minimise social contact, and that lockdowns are around the corner. Maybe it's just that I can translate the small amounts of information around me from what I see/hear/experience into a probable result.

I've also had the nagging feeling it could all kick off big-stylee in the U.S. before/during January 2021. I really hope I am wrong!
I still hope to be somewhat wrong and it all calms down.

Edited to add: not being a US resident or visitor I don't know much about the history of the Capitol building. Has this sort of thing happened before in the modern era?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This evening GMT.

"Armed supporters of President Trump storm the Capitol building and force a lockdown, halting debate in the House and Senate...
Rioters smash windows and clash with police, with one person reportedly shot and wounded. Lawmakers have been taken to an undisclosed location"

Posting because

a) its newsworthy

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...was-going-to-happen.67120/page-5#post-2022201

Edited to add: not being a US resident or visitor I don't know much about the history of the Capitol building. Has this sort of thing happened before in the modern era?
Last time Capitol was breached was in 1814.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot about this online and it appears (or at least, some people are saying) all is not as it seems. Which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But I don't know how much we're allowed to discuss it! :boh:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This evening GMT.

Posting because

a) its newsworthy

I'm going to keep this as politics free as possible, but tonight is the first day I've watched the news and Newsnight since around June 2016 – and it's revealing. On the whole I will stick to my prediction for the year in one of the other threads here: hell, handcart.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I hope the moderators understand that what I'm about to say is not about politics in any coherent sense of the word. As a proud American I can only describe what's going on as a national disgrace. I cannot believe that the thugs who are occupying the Capitol represent anything but a sick minority made up of criminals, and that is in no way meant to insult the current President's law abiding supporters.

If I have gone too far, feel free to delete this and accept my apologies.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Like I said, this was being discussed elsewhere and I didn't know if they were true or not, but I thought worth mentioning in case they were. There are many different agendas in things like this :)

I certainly don't think the MSM is giving us the full story, but then again I don't trust them as far as I can throw them so there's that.

It seemed to have been a peaceful protest at the beginning. Flag waving and banner waving. People are entitled to that when they feel aggrieved and its a shame it had to descend into what it did.

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If they were antifascist, why were they waving Confederate flags, rioting in opposition to a legitimate vote count, and being told how nice they were by Trump?
My local news source (which has been a Republican organ for its entire existence, by the way) is very clear that this is a right-wing insurrection promoted and encouraged by the individual who won't accept that he lost the election. Also, alas, by a senator from my state (not my fault; I keep voting against him).

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It seemed to have been a peaceful protest at the beginning. Flag waving and banner waving. People are entitled to that when they feel aggrieved and its a shame it had to descend into what it did.
It didn't have to descend. Twenty years ago, when Bush's election was called by court fiat and large numbers of Americans were unconvinced that the person in the White House had been legally elected, we marched, we waved signs, we signed petitions, we went home and worked harder at being politically aware hoping to prevent a recurrence.

These protesters chose violence.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My reaction was that of a Roger Moore "Raised Eyebrow", rather than the "shock and disgust" spoken of by so many journalists.

Firstly, a country that was founded in revolution has in it's very essence the potential for violent protest.

Secondly, the last few years have seen simmering and at times boiling-over political tensions between sections of the American population.

Thirdly, protesters inside the Parliament building are not unknown to us here in the UK.
Even Bryan Ferry's son was involved once.

Does not diminish the historic impact of today's events though; very much a "Where were you when?" moment.

Last edited:

charliebrown

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
As an American, I am very sad.

Since the Capitol Hill police did not seem to be prepared, the conspiracy theories have started.

In the past we have seen the Capitol Police on TV prepared to the highest degree.

Two democratic senators from the red, southern Georgia is remarkable.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
We're not marking anybody's card here, but we're also not going to have another attempt at a thread about whether the Democrats have given succour to ANTIFA, whether BLM are terrorists and whether Trump is culpable for the actions of the Proud Boys etc.

It will become whataboutery with rancour and descend into party politics.

What has gone on is not usual for a modern democracy; how serious and how irregular is up for debate, but I should say that the rightful locus of blame was transparent enough that we needn't mud-wrestle over it here. The Internet is large with many sites for political argument. This is not one of them.

Yes, that leaves the bounds of the discussion awkwardly narrow, but that's what we have--that or nothing.

Sources: please try to be a little discerning. 'Hot-takes' from the usual suspects almost always turn out to be spins and glosses. They aren't supposed to endure close analysis, they just function to steer the narrative in real time--good Forteans should be able to discern this with relative ease.

Do your best.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
...good Forteans should be able to discern this with relative ease
:reading:

What page is that on again...?

You do actually touch on a quote I have only recenty come across and perhaps seems relevant.

"Do you want power over something? Be more nearly real than it".

Typical Charles Fort, often never understand what he says, yet you know what he means. :)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Only possible Fortean angle here is the possibility of agents provocateurs behind the violence (being discussed this very minute on BBC Radio 5 Live) and the bizarre photo of the guy with the Jamiroquoi funny hat.
A tragedy that at least 4 deaths occurred, one shot by police and 3 from "medical effects" - is tear gas becoming more deadly?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that condemnation of the events, if not actually universal, seems to be generally non-partisan - and it's somehow quite entertaining watching many of those who did start off applauding the protesters 'patriotism', suddenly realising that King Mob does not actually work for anyone, and spending the last several hours desperately back-pedalling (only confirming my belief that Twitter is the equivalent of drunk texting for people who aren't drunk.)

As to the desperate attempts to spin this as an MSM plot - well, that's the same stuff that lit those guys fuses in the first place, and similarly shored up with innuendo, and little or no evidence. And it's odd, given that so much of the actual evidence comes from the protestors own phones, feeds and websites - and none of them appear to be denying it.

I am literally in tears right now.
Hold steady, Chas - hold steady.

Last time Capitol was breached was in 1814.
Yes. The last buggers to burn Washington were British - and we've got precious little going for us just now, so I'll be damned if that accolade is going to be taken away from us as well. I'm organising a task force - we've already got four thousand cans of lager and a container load of Fray Bentos meat pies - owing to transport issues we'll be rowing over from Stranraer, so if everyone could hold on for a month or so, that would be great.

Last edited:

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
It's a minority, thankfully, so I don't think we're going to see anything like an actual civil war (Trump's behaviour has already turned off many moderate Republicans and Kelly Loeffler stated she'll no longer object to the election of Joe Biden after witnessing the lawlessness of Trump's supporters yesterday) but I also don't think that this white nationalistic fervor can be put back in the box once he's out of office.

Empowered delusion is a dangerous mix.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
What? Bloody Kraut beer and Argie food?
I wasn't killed in three wars for that!
Uruguayan.

And anyway - how dare you! Fray Bentos are a British brand.

As to lager - admittedly an adoptee, like curry; and the only way you get hold of my lamb saagwala is when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The guy in the horned hat has certainly achieved his 15 minutes of fame and is Jake Angeli aka "Buffalo Dude" or "Shaman".

Not sure he's taking it seriously:

jake.JPG

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Seems like what ever happens next is the REAL test for the citizens of America to defend their form of democracy?

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
The guy in the horned hat has certainly achieved his 15 minutes of fame and is Jake Angeli aka "Buffalo Dude" or "Shaman".

Not sure he's taking it seriously:

View attachment 33571
I don't know, the (excellent, by the way!) podcast Qanon Anonymous has interviewed him several times and he is definitely pro-Qanon and pro-Trump.

This is one the eps he was interviewed in: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous%2Fepisode-114-undercover-at-qcon-feat-fredrick-brennan

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
is tear gas becoming more deadly?

Maybe it's New Variant tear gas? No more deadly, but spreads faster?

(with apologies and condolences to the families of those who have died here).

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Watching the BBC now and Jan Halper Hayes was cut of saying the Captiol Hill mob were no different from Antifa and BLM....anyway its been sad seeing what has been going in the USA lately.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score