Capitol Debate Chamber Washington DC Invaded By Armed Protesters

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It puzzles me how brazen these people are.
Do they think Trump will still be president in a fortnight or so and pardon them all?
Baffles me.
Well, yeah, that's the whole point of attempting a coup. They want to throw away the election results because they don't like them and give Trump a second term even though he lost the election.
And why shouldn't they get away with it? They're all white people. It's not impossible to get arrested as a white person throwing a tantrum, but I haven't heard anything about arrests today. And they probably have money to make bail and pay lawyers to bargain them out of trouble, or they wouldn't have felt able to do this on a workday. The American criminal justice system has not been great about giving people like this consequences for some time.
No politics, just sad facts.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
It puzzles me how brazen these people are.
Do they think Trump will still be president in a fortnight or so and pardon them all?
Baffles me.
I think brazenness itself has more to do with it than any forward-looking evaluation of legal implications. In today's (anti-)social media obsessed culture nothing matters as much as personal celebrity, and nothing contributes to personal celebrity as much as exposure in a manner that garners attention.

An obvious example from this incident would be Jake Angeli - the self-professed actor and 'shamanic practitioner' widely photographed in face paint and the buffalo-horns headgear. He's a long-time fixture at rallies and wherever news cameras are recording, promoting QAnon and nationalist beliefs. He never seemed to miss a posing opportunity during the 6 January Capitol intrusion.

See, for example:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jake-angeli-viking-capitol-blm/

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that Jon Schaffer was participating.

I'm going to issue him an Eric Gill card on the grounds that Something Wicked This Way Comes is a superb record that has nothing to do with this.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A clear indication of the level of shock resulting from the 6 January intrusion is that companies and organizations are moving quickly to fire or otherwise disengage themselves from individuals who participated in the affair.
People at the US Capitol riot are being identified and losing their jobs

As images and social media posts of Wednesday's insurrection at the US Capitol circulate online, some of those who were present are being identified, and some have lost or left their jobs because of it.

Navistar, a direct marketing company in Maryland, announced that an employee had been terminated after he was photographed wearing his company ID badge inside the breached Capitol building. ...

A Texas attorney named Paul Davis is no longer employed at his company, Goosehead Insurance, after social media posts appeared to show him talking about his participation in Wednesday's events. ...

Rick Saccone, a former Pennsylvania state representative, shared images on his Facebook page of himself outside the Capitol. Saint Vincent College, where Saccone served as an adjunct professor, immediately began an investigation ...

"As a result of that investigation, Dr. Saccone has submitted and we have accepted his letter of resignation, effective immediately. He will no longer be associated with Saint Vincent College in any capacity" ...

Lindsey Williams, a Pennsylvania state Senator, shared a video that appeared to have been deleted from Saccone's Facebook page. In it, Saccone says, "They broke down the gates, they're macing them up there. We're trying to run out all of the evil people in there and all of the RINOs that have betrayed our President. We're going to run them out of their offices." ...

The Texas Republican Party removed Walter West, its Sergeant-At-Arms, from his position after West made comments on Facebook supporting the Capitol siege. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/capitol-riots-people-fired-jobs-trnd/index.html

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I genuinely feel that there has now been a decade-long disconnect between reality and ideals. "I'd fight to defend my country" has gone from those who've experienced warfare to those who've played Call of Duty a lot and think that they are the ones who get to decide who are the genuine patriots, the true Americans.
I actually don't think so - the amount of people put through the US military has really messed things up. It isn't computer games. You can see a similar thing with Israel and their need to train everyone in the military.

Militarized countries make very paranoid and gun-happy people.

Not saying that's a bad thing - it's just a thing.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
I see that Jon Schaffer was participating.

I'm going to issue him an Eric Gill card on the grounds that Something Wicked This Way Comes is a superb record that has nothing to do with this.
Dave Mustaine would no doubt have joined him if he wasn't so old and sad about not being in Metallica.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
The guy photographed wearing his ID (and subsequently sacked) qualifies as one of the world's stupidest criminals...
And what is it with the baseball hat over the hood thing? It is not a good look. It just makes the wearer look like their mum dressed them by throwing clothes at them from another room while watching TV with the lights off.

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Reaction score
One thing that struck me in Thursday's TV news reporting from DC was the absence of ANY lingering rioters. Of course, the immediate area around the Capitol would be cleared and policed rigorously, but I would have expected to see groups of them milling about elsewhere in the city, shouting, waving their banners, and glaring ominously at the camera, but NOTHING! Has the presence of National Guardsmen in the city been more effective than I would have thought possible? Have all mainstream media outlets coordinated their coverage to exclude any mention of any stragglers?

I mean, the day before, there were tens of thousands of rabble in the streets, and the next day they are ALL gone? Did they just leave the Capitol and get back on the bus for home, thinking they still had a job they had to get back to? Did they all have an "OMG, what was I thinking?" moment and slink out of town, shamefaced? Were they all crisis actors, hired for one day only? (Hey, there's a conspiracy theory for you.)

I begin to think that for 99% of the rioters this was nothing but a lark, a chance to misbehave and get some pictures of yourself being a Bad Boy. I can't decide if that makes the whole shameful episode less or more alarming and disgusting.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
You've seen him running and lifting weights?
It's another way of saying "I find that person physically attractive" :wink2:

Her family are baffled as she didn't tell anyone she was going there.
Well you've got the start of a conspiracy theory right there!

I think what we witnessed was Trump kicking over the Monopoly board. As a serious coup attempt it was truly amateur, people smiling for the camera FFS!

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"I think what we witnessed was Trump kicking over the Monopoly board. As a serious coup attempt it was truly amateur, people smiling for the camera FFS! "

I think Trump realises that he screwed up horrifically.
He obviously wanted a show of people power to support his claims of electoral fraud.
He got that OK, but he also got lethal violence and a desecration of US democracy's holy of holies, which has backfired on Trump enormously, by turning most public opinion - whether of the Blue or Red persuasion, vehemently against him.

EDITED

Political Speculation Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I remember one commentator describing a certain tub-thumping Northern Irish politician as being a bit like the Grand Old Duke of York - only, once he'd got his ten thousand men to the top of the hill, rather than marching them back down again, he just ran away.

I suspect that in spending several years mobilising a force, then priming it and setting it off - only to back away (and not just back away, but actively censure) in the immediate aftermath - a general will guarantee an enmity from some within his own ranks that will outweigh even those most opposed to him.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
It does tend to feel like Trump is throwing his supporters under the bus in an attempt to distance himself from the possible repercussions.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One interesting point here, an alleged transmission intercepted by U.S. Intelligence claiming that Iran would attack the Capitol building on Wednesday...

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-us-plane-threat-dc-soleimani-1559181

""We are going to fly a plane into the capital on Wednesday to avenge Soleimani's death," the unidentified voice said as the airliner flew 36,000 feet over sea, according to the report."

It may not have been a plane but there was very clearly an incursion into the Capitol building.

Much like the 'maintenance' work that apparently went on in the Twin Towers in the week's before 9/11, could this week's act have been used to cover the insertion of something that may go on to have an 'explosive' impact on world affairs in the coming weeks?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well, yeah, that's the whole point of attempting a coup. They want to throw away the election results because they don't like them and give Trump a second term even though he lost the election.
And why shouldn't they get away with it? They're all white people. It's not impossible to get arrested as a white person throwing a tantrum, but I haven't heard anything about arrests today. And they probably have money to make bail and pay lawyers to bargain them out of trouble, or they wouldn't have felt able to do this on a workday. The American criminal justice system has not been great about giving people like this consequences for some time.
No politics, just sad facts.
"They're all white people."

No.
A quick scan of the photos of the mob shows not only some black faces, but others including several "Chinese Americans for Trump", some people of obviously Indian descent waving the Indian flag, loads of Latinos, plus the flags of South Korea and Cuba - the leader of the Trump-supporting "Proud Boys" is himself of Afro-Cuban descent.
So, let's call this what it was - a violent riot by a stirred-up mob, but please do not throw fuel on the fire by turning this into a race war as well.

tp2.JPGtp1.JPGtp3.JPGtp4.JPGtp5.JPG

tp7.JPG

Attachments

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
The subreddit 'Parler Watch' has been sharing some reactions to Trump's "concession" video and the riot. They range from people expressing outrage at him and feeling "stabbed in the back", to some concerning talk in some corners about forming a militia in preparation for the 19th (not speculating, here - there are posts linked that explicitly state that).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ParlerWatch/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... Did they just leave the Capitol and get back on the bus for home, thinking they still had a job they had to get back to? ...
In at least one documented case that's exactly what happened.

One of the 3 people on the Capitol grounds who died from 'medical emergencies' (Benjamin Phillips) was a Pennsylvania man who organized a bus trip to bring himself and a group of protestors to the DC event. They arrived circa 1030 local time on 6 January. When the group arrived he separated from the rest of them. The group didn't learn he'd died of a stroke until they rendezvoused later the same day to take their bus back home.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/penns...apitol-pennsylvania-ben-philips-20210107.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
One interesting point here, an alleged transmission intercepted by U.S. Intelligence claiming that Iran would attack the Capitol building on Wednesday...
""We are going to fly a plane into the capital on Wednesday to avenge Soleimani's death," the unidentified voice said as the airliner flew 36,000 feet over sea, according to the report." ...
Read the article ... The transmission originated from New York (probably Long Island) on 5 January. It was heard and reported by the flight crew of a Jet Blue flight from San Juan to JFK. All reports to date of this single transmission have been transcribed as referring to "capital" - i.e., Washington DC rather than the Capitol Building specifically.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
"I think what we witnessed was Trump kicking over the Monopoly board. As a serious coup attempt it was truly amateur, people smiling for the camera FFS! "

I think Trump realises that he screwed up horrifically.
He obviously wanted a show of people power to support his claims of electoral fraud.
He got that OK, but he also got lethal violence and a desecration of US democracy's holy of holies, which has backfired on Trump enormously, by turning most public opinion - whether of the Blue or Red persuasion, vehemently against him.

EDITED

I liked for the classy mod communication.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In at least one documented case that's exactly what happened.

One of the 3 people on the Capitol grounds who died from 'medical emergencies' (Benjamin Phillips) was a Pennsylvania man who organized a bus trip to bring himself and a group of protestors to the DC event. They arrived circa 1030 local time on 6 January. When the group arrived he separated from the rest of them. The group didn't learn he'd died of a stroke until they rendezvoused later the same day to take their bus back home.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/penns...apitol-pennsylvania-ben-philips-20210107.html
Tear gas, especially in an enclosed space, increases the risk of a stroke:

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...fect-the-body#What-to-know-about-pepper-spray

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
I remember one commentator describing a certain tub-thumping Northern Irish politician as being a bit like the Grand Old Duke of York - only, once he'd got his ten thousand men to the top of the hill, rather than marching them back down again, he just ran away.

I suspect that in spending several years mobilising a force, then priming it and setting it off - only to back away (and not just back away, but actively censure) in the immediate aftermath - a general will guarantee an enmity from some within his own ranks that will outweigh even those most opposed to him.
Unfortunately it won't - these are people, generalizing, who twist communications to suit them. A while back someone pointed out a Qanon message about a Trump tweet sending a coded message to the FBI. Which is bizarre because the FBI reports to him. I suspect that there is a slew of publicity-seekers putting out posts on whatever channel these folks use to communicate explaining what he was really saying. His statement was pretty gentle and rather tame - after all, these folk as someone suggested yesterday I believe in the Times will watch his TV channel and buy his branded goods.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I liked for the classy mod communication.
Well it is rather difficult to participate in this thread without flirting dangerously with politics.
Must admit though that a couple of the earlier posts, which escaped the red stamp of disapproval, struck me as rather more overtly political and, in one case, rather inflammatory.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it is rather difficult to participate in this thread without flirting dangerously with politics.
Must admit though that a couple of the earlier posts, which escaped the red stamp of disapproval, struck me as rather more overtly political and, in one case, rather inflammatory.
Report and we will consider.
Things do slip through the net.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
EDITED

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Last post deleted.

This thread will remain narrowly focused on the incident in the title or it will be closed.