• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Captain Seabury's Monster

MrRING

Android Futureman
I thought this was an interesting incident:

http://www.strangemag.com/seaserpcarcsshuk.html

The Monongahela Monster

And finally, it would be quite unthinkable to end this article without discussing the highly controversial case of the Monongahela monster. For if the case is genuine (and not a hoax, as some authors have suggested), one ship successfully obeyed the imperious command of this article's title--by obtaining for scientific scrutiny the head of a sea serpent! On January 13, 1852, while in latitude 3° 10'S and longitude 131° 50'W the whaling ship Monongahela of New Bedford encountered an enormous serpentine creature longer than the 100-ft. ship itself, and just under 50 ft. in diameter, with a 10-ft.-long alligatorlike head whose jaws contained 94 teeth (each approximately 3 in. long and recurved like a snake's).

During a titanic struggle, the ship's sailors sought to capture their monstrous visitor by harpooning it; the next morning its lifeless carcass, brownish-yellow and 103 ft. 7 in. long, rose to the surface of the sea. Although giant snakes are not believed nowadays to be responsible for any of the various different types of sea serpent reported over the years, this particular specimen did possess some distinctly ophidian characteristics, including its recurved teeth, a lower jaw whose bones were separate, and two lungs of which one was notably larger than the other. However, it also exhibited some highly un-snakelike features, such as a pair of whale-like blowholes, and four paw-like projections of hard, loose flesh.

Taxonomic considerations notwithstanding, it was clearly impractical to attempt to preserve the gigantic creature's entire carcass--so the sailors hacked off its ferocious-looking head, for retention as absolute proof of this astonishing beast's reality. The Monongahela's master, Captain Charles Seabury, prepared a detailed account of the whole incident, including a full description of the creature itself; on February 6, the Monongahela encountered the brig Gipsy, journeying to Bridgeport, so Seabury handed his account to the Gipsy's master, Captain Sturges, who promised to hand it into Bridgeport's post office when the Gipsy arrived there. Presumably he kept his word, because newspaper accounts of Seabury's report appeared, including one in the London Times for March 10, 1852.

And this is where, for over a century, the story ended--because nothing more was heard of either the sea serpent head or the Monongahela carrying it. Accordingly, some cryptozoologists discounted the whole affair as an elaborate hoax--until 1959, which saw the publication of Frank Edwards' book Stranger Than Science. This revealed that the ship carrying back Seabury's account had actually been the Rebecca Sims, with a Captain Gavitt as its master, and that Seabury's Christian name was Jason, not Charles. In addition, Edwards had learned that many years after Seabury's account had hit the headlines, the name board of the Monongahela had been discovered on the shore of Umnak Island in the Aleutians. So what had happened to the ship? As no other trace of it has apparently been found, if the incident was indeed genuine did some catastrophe occur during its continuing voyage that consigned the Monongahela and its entire crew to the bottom of the sea--thereby returning its unique cryptozoological cargo from whence it had come, the unknown ocean depths?

As with so many other cases on record within the ever-increasing chronicles of the sea serpent, the chances are that we will simply never know.

It would be great of the Rebecca Sim's book could be found with the account intanct...

Is there any evidence of there being a Captain Seabury and are there any records of his ship The Monongahela? There should be records of the ships existence somewhere, where she was built etc.

This inventory of the William H. Tripp Collection in the Mystic (Connecticut) Seaport Museum archives:

http://www.mysticseaport.org/Library/ma ... ll058.html

... lists 2 Seabury's - one Jason, and one Humphrey N.
... lists a vessel _Monongahela_
... and lists all 3 as being cross-referenced to Box 2 in the collection materials ...

... as well as the following notes on specific collection items:

Box / Folder

2 / 1
Cargo manifest and notes, concerning the Ship MONONGAHELA built at Philadelphia in 1828, and lost on an Arctic whaling voyage in 1853; undated (2 pieces )

2 / 12
Letter of Humphrey M Seabury, pertaining to his brother Jason, who was a crewman on board the missing whaler MONONGAHELA; 1856 May 6 (1 pieces )

Note that - contrary to the alleged Edwards version - Jason Seabury is listed as a 'crewman', not the captain.

[/quote]

... And the Seabury / Monongahela story was apparently popular enough to motivate the following item in Punch:

SOURCE: hrionline.ac.uk/luceneweb/hr ... U1-22-12-5
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Punch, 22 (1852), 123.

The Capture of the Sea-Serpent
Anon
Genre: Song, Drollery
Subjects: Monstrosities, Hunting

The song is supposed to be sung by the 'Serpent's Head', which identifies itself as 'a mere chimaera of the sea'. It describes his capture by Charles Seabury Seabury, Charles (master of the ship Monongahela) (fl. 1852) PU1/22/12/5 The Times, 10 March 1852, p. 8a

Registry Entry on Seabury:

Seabury, Charles (master of the ship Monongahela) (fl. 1852) PU1/22/12/5 The Times, 10 March 1852, p. 8a

Last edited:
It takes very little Googling to come up with hits for a Captain Charles (or Charles P.) Seabury who apparently commanded a number of ships during the late 1840's and early 1850's.

He was captain of the clipper America taking Gold Rush passengers to California in 1849 (cf. Anonymous journals indexed at: http://www.mysticseaport.org/library/im ... rptsa.html).

There was also a Captain Seabury in command of the ship Brother Jonathan who rescued survivors of the wreck of the Yankee Blade off Santa Barbera in 1854.

Might it be that there's some flaw in attributing Charles (or, for that matter, Jason) Seabury as the master of the Monongahela? How many Seabury's could there be?

Another bit ... According to this naval history site:

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/f2/fe ... cooper.htm

... the schooner Fenimore Cooper , attached to a survey expedition in the Northern Pacific / Bering Strait region, was assigned circa September 1854 to search the Aleutians for evidence or information on what happened to the Monongahela.

Another strange tidbit ... Here is a genealogical summary for an American who signed up to serve on the Monongahela's crew during that fateful period, but left the ship ... Note the comment about 'dissatisfaction' among officers and crew ...

"[G]ILBERT B. VANALSTINE, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Kilbourn City; born in Onon-
daga Co., N. Y., Feb. 22, 1832; his parents removed to Buffalo when he was a child; from Erie Co., N.
Y., to Erie Co., Penn.; thence to Ashtabula Co., Ohio, and to Newport, Wis., in 1853; Gilbert B. went to sea in 1849; he was engaged in a coasting vessel, between New Orleans and Boston, for one year; in February, 1850, shipped on board the Monongahela, a whaling vessel of New Bedford, for four years; in February, 1851, landed at the island of Juan Fernandez, where he remained about six weeksS A feeling of dissatisfaction existed between the officers and crew; Mr. Vanalstine engaged passage on a rdpanish brig to Valparaiso, Chili, where they remained about two months; in May,1851,.shipped on boa o an American vessel, Capt. Wood, bound for Europe, which vessel Mr. V. and comrades left at Hong K ng, China; shipped thence to New York, where they arrived September, 1851; was afterward engaged on a coasting vessel between Charleston, S. C., and New York; returned home in December of that year ... "

SOURCE: http://www.scls.lib.wi.us/por/columbia/ ... 000031.pdf

Last edited:
... And here's another tidbit - supposedly a transcription of an article appearing in the San Francisco Herald .

SOURCE: http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Gazette/Acc ... rctic.html

The Ship Monongabela, of New Bedford

The fact of this ship having been carried into the Arctic Ocean by the ice at the commencement of the winter of 1853, has created much interest. Up to our last accounts no news had been heard from her, notwithstanding H. B. M. ship Rattlesnake had coasted up to the utmost limits of navigation allowed by the ice, and a whaler had also taken the course the Monongabela took, - still there was nothing which would give any indication of her fate more than the statement of the natives to the Captain of the Rattlesnake, that a three-masted vessel had gone into the Arctic Ocean. This could be no other than the Monongabela, as there was no other vessel that would be likely to be in the situation. By the arrival of the E. L. Frost, we learn that a r report was current among the whaling fleet that a cask had been pied up at sea containing articles belonging to the Monongahela, as proved by the marks. If this be true, there is but little doubt but that the vessel and her entire crew are lost.- S. F. Herald, October 27, [1854].

Last edited:
Coincidentally, the following abstract describes a presentation supposedly made in the last week or so at the 18th Annual Symposium on Maritime Archaeology and History of Hawai`i and the Pacific, sponsored by MAHHI (Maritime Archaeology and History of the Hawaiian Islands Foundation) ...

Of Sea Serpents, Solitude and Seaburys: The Voyage of the Monongahela
Suzanne S. Finney, MAHHI

In 1850 the whaling ship Monongahela, 497 tons, left New Bedford for a whaling voyage to the North Pacific. The master on this voyage was Jason Seabury, youngest of eight and already an experienced seaman at the age of 28. Three years later the ship and crew were missing, presumed lost in the Arctic Ocean. This might be the end of the story if not for the collection of Seabury family papers in the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library. The letters and newspaper articles in the collection relating to this voyage represent a microcosm of 19th century society and highlight some of the difficulties confronting whalers involved with long voyages to remote areas. As if the loss of the vessel is not mysterious enough, there is the unanswered question of what happened to the sea serpent supposedly killed by the crew and stored on board as proof of the encounter. This presentation discusses the Monongahela voyage, including the reported capture of a sea serpent, and places the letters and newspaper articles within the context of 19th century expectations and beliefs.

SOURCE: http://www.mahhi.org/18th_abstracts.html

There seems to be yet another captain's name problem ...

The New Bedford Free Public Library has an online Whaling Project site, where one can search their collections for information on ships, crews, etc.

If one accesses the Rebecca Sims crew listing for the voyage at issue (October 13, 1849 - June 20, 1853) at:

http://www.ci.new-bedford.ma.us/service ... etailS.asp

... one finds no mention of a captain or master named 'Gavitt'.

There is a "William 2nd Jernegon" listed as 'Captain'.

However ... There *is* a Samuel Gavitt listed as 'Captain' for the ship's *next* voyage to the North Pacific (December 2, 1853 - June 9, 1857).

P.S. The online whaling archives at the New Bedford library make no mention of the Monongahela. I don't know if this is suggestive / significant, because the project is 'ongoing' and that particular ship's records may simply not be available or may not have been entered into the database yet.

EnolaGaia said:
P.S. The online whaling archives at the New Bedford library make no mention of the Monongahela. I don't know if this is suggestive / significant, because the project is 'ongoing' and that particular ship's records may simply not be available or may not have been entered into the database yet.
True.

Sadly, the internet is not a full and true source of info on anything and everything. Quite a bit of info is locked away, as I found when I tried to find e-versions of newspaper obits on an old friend of mine. They were available, but only on a pay-per-view basis.

This puzzled me at first, but I think some companies buy up such biographical info from the newspapers to cash in on the increasing numbers of people researching their family trees.

You're right, rynner ... After investing large amounts in 'going online', some organizations have subsequently tried to leverage that earlier investment toward making money. This can only be done if they 'territorialize' the data - i.e., circumscribe it, lock it away, and charge admission.

I've seen several newspaper sites go this route - locking away data that'd previously been free for the taking.

You're also right about the genealogy tie-in. Genealogists and genealogy buffs are a classic example of a community that's benefited greatly from the rise of the Internet. On the other hand, a lot of the amateurs have posted data that's tentative or suspect. Just the other day I heard a radio interview with a professional genealogist who was cautioning amateurs to check online first but draw no final conclusions until the original sources had been inspected and verified.

P.S. ...

The main reason I've gone bonkers with the postings in this thread isn't that I believe a final answer is to be found in today's 'Net. I was simply struck by the amount of 'suggestive' or 'interesting' data to be found through sources *other* than those focused on the sea serpent story per se. Some of the pointers I located (and at least one source cited above) came from genealogy sites or online transcriptions of journals.

... Which (moving back to the main topic) reminds me of a tangent I didn't cite but which may be relevant. I ran across an online journal written by a 'forty-niner' who went to California on the clipper America - captained by Charles P. Seabury. This gold rush passenger run is well-documented as something done by Seabury (the originally-cited captain for the Monongahela).

One of the journal's later chapters (written years later) muses on what became of people and the ship from that voyage. It claims captain Seabury retired to New Bedford. The author also claims to have heard that the America was refitted as a whaler and sent to the Arctic, where it was lost ...

So what? Well, I went back to the New Bedford Library archives to check on a ship 'America' that might've been a whaler during the period in question. To my surprise, I found a record for a ship termed 'America 2nd', which was dispatched to the northern Pacific as a whaler in 1850.

The crew listing for this voyage shows 2 interesting things:

- the captain is listed as Charles P. Seabury
- there is no return date listed for the voyage, and no mention (found) of this 'America 2nd' ship after the northern Pacific whaling voyage

The crew listing seems to match the format of listings for voyages that never returned (no return date; no payout percentages listed for crew wages). Is the loss of America 2nd the basis for ascribing Charles Seabury as captain of another whaler lost during the same period in the same region? Were there two 'Charles P. Seabury's' out of New Bedford?

Even though I know the answers may not be out there, I sometimes find it fun to inventory the questions that may be evident in what evidence there is ...
8)

I actually find the whole thing fascinating, and I agree in theory that it's possible to put together a more complete version of what happened now that we have access to variouis databases that might not have been as readily availible in earlier days.

I've been going through a lot of newspapers for fortean stories lately. And I have realised there is an evident difference in style between articles that are fiction and those that are non-fiction. And I regret to say (having just looked it up) that the style of the 1852 article is very much in the style of the former. It's full of dialogue and flowery language (it amusingly includes the phrase "a thrill of horror raced through our veins").

sorry. I mean I might be wrong. But I don't think so :)
I would type it out but (another red flag) it's really long.

I'm glad to see renewed interest in the story of Captain Seabury's monster.

I've undertaken a different strategy - searching for the origins of the published story rather than the ship and / or captain cited therein. This turns out to be the path of derivation for the story's appearance in Frank Edwards' Stranger Than Science (1959), which is where I first encountered it as a child.

This path leads back to 1852 when the letter purported to have come from Captain Seabury arrived back in New England and its contents were subsequently published in multiple newspapers in the USA and the UK.

Here is a condensed derivative version excerpted from the story published in the Leicester Chronicle in March, 1852. This transcription has been cleaned up to correct obvious OCR errors.
Leicester Chronicle or Commercial and Leicestershire Mercury
Leicester, Leicestershire, England
March 13, 1852

The Great Sea Serpent Caught at Last.

The New York Tribune publishes a long letter from Charles Seabury, master of the whale ship Monongahela, giving an account of the capture of the sea serpent, in latitude 3 deg. 10 min. S., and long. 131 deg. 50 min., W., on the 13th of January. After describing the various manoeuvres executed to kill and catch the monster hitherto deemed fabulous, the captain describes it.

As I am preparing a minute description of the serpent, I will merely give you a few general points. It was a male; the length 103 feet 7 inches; 19 feet 1 inch round the neck ; 24 feet 6 inches around the shoulders ; and the largest part of the body, which appeared somewhat distended, 42 feet 4 inches. The head was long and flat, with ridges ; the bones of the lower jaw separate; the tongue had its end like the head of a heart. The tail ran nearly to a point, on the end of which was a flat firm cartilage. The back was black, turning brown on the sides; then yellow, and on the centre of the belly a narrow white streak two-thirds of its length; there were also scattered over the body dark spots. On examining the skin we found, to our surprise, that the body was covered with a blubber like that of a whale but it was only four inches thick. The oil was clear as water and burned nearly as fast as spirits of turpentine. We cut the snake up, but found great difficulty, and had to ' flense" him. The body would not roll, and the blubber was so very elastic that when stretched 20 feet by the blocks it would, when cut off, brink to 5 or 6 feet. We took in the head, a frightful object and are endeavouring to preserve it with salt. We have saved all the bones, which the men are not done cleaning yet. We found it had two spout holes or spiracles, so it must breathe like a whale ; it also had four swimming paws, or imitation of paws, for they were like hard loose flesh. The heart I was enabled to preserve in liquor and one of the eyes, but the head, notwithstanding it is cool, begins to emit an offensive odour ; but I am so near the coast now that I shall hold on to it as it is, unless it is likely to breed a distemper. Every man in the ship participates in my anxiety.

SOURCE: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/396293294/

This account was apparently excerpted from a publication of the full letter in the Times of London some days earlier in March, 1852. This earlier London publication is cited as presenting most or all of Seabury's original letter as published in New York.

I have located a complete copy of Captain Seabury's letter as published in the New York Tribune in February, 1852. It was published in this zoological journal / digest:

Zoologist: A Monthly Journal of Natural History, Volume 10 (1852)
Edward Newman (Ed.)
London: John Van Voost, Paternoster Row

The (apparently) full text of the Seabury letter appears on pages 3426 - 3429.

Here (finally! ... ) is the original Captain Seabury letter ...

Seabury-1.jpg

Here's the second page ...
Seabury-2.jpg

Here's the third page ...
Seabury-3.jpg

Newman's suspicions weren't unique to him. According to this 1892 book on sea serpents, the crew of the Gipsy (alleged to have been the ship transporting Seabury's letter back to the USA) later denied having ever encountered any ship named Monongahela or Captain Seabury.

The Great Sea-serpent: An Historical and Critical Treatise : with the Reports of 187 Appearances (including Those of the Appendix), the Suppositions and Suggestions of Scientific and Non-scientific Persons and the Author's Conclusions, Volume 1
Anthonie Cornelis Oudemans (Jzn)
Leiden: E.J. Brill / London: Luzac & Co., 1892.

Page 48:
Froriep-A.jpg
SOURCE: SOURCE: https://books.google.com/books?id=j...age&q="gipsy" "philadelphia bulletin"&f=false

According to the database entries at the Whaling History site ...

There was a whaler named Monongahela which left New Bedford, Massachusetts, in 1850 for a 3-year voyage. The date of departure is listed as 30 September, 1850. The master is listed as Jason Seabury, not Charles Seabury. It is listed as 'Lost' on this voyage. The ship was reported to have become trapped by ice in autumn 1853 near the Aleutian Islands. She was presumed lost / sunk in the vicinity of Atka Island, Alaska some time thereafter.

https://whalinghistory.org/?s=AV09968
https://whalinghistory.org/?s=AM4296
https://whalinghistory.org/?s=AA1115

The New Bedford Whaling Museum exhibits the Monongahela's quarterboard, described as:
The Monongahela quarterboard
This quarterboard was one of the few items salvaged from the wreck of the Monongahela in the Aleutian Islands while under the command of Jason Seabury in 1853.

https://www.whalingmuseum.org/explore/exhibitions/cabinet-of-curiosities

Note that journal editor Newman opines it's probably a hoax, though a well-crafted one.
Well done! That's the one. It has saved me a long job :) And do you see what I mean - it's written like a story, not a letter or a diary entry? I think it's written to entertain and tantalise, it's not written in the sort of language you'd use if you were writing a record for yourself, it's written with an audience in mind. That's what I think anyway. I've seen lots of articles written in a similar style about weird things (eg ghosts... that end up talking with the person who sees them).

Would a whaler go after prey in foul weather? Its a risky trade at best. Wrecking the ship over a creature that probably isnt blubbery seems a foolish move.

Would a whaler go after prey in foul weather? Its a risky trade at best. Wrecking the ship over a creature that probably isnt blubbery seems a foolish move.

From the small amount I know I don't think anything could have made the task more dangerous than it was!

He doesn't give an exact time the serpent went down with ropes & drags attached but it's before 4pm, then at 4am next morning they haul it up & it's still alive. More than twelve hours underwater for an air breather..

Add in the rest of the details dug up by Enola & it's nothing more than a ripping good yarn. Probably sold a good few copies of the newspapers that day though.

If it was a deep deep sea creature, it's system may have operated differently. And what they thought were air holes might not have been air holes at all. The description is interesting though in that it is taking a non-whale and trying to describe what is being seen in whale terms, so it makes sense that they were comparing and expecting all large marine critters to conform to what a whale would be.

It does read more like fiction, but at the same time, the person transcribing a more standard telling of events nevertheless attached to an unknown sea creature, and attempted to jazz it up to make it sound even more exciting, to associate their telling of it with the historical record. very interesting to read it whichever way you take it!

Back