• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Carnage On The Escalators

So refreshing to learn of a new calamity that isn't contagious!

About 15 years back I got my toes caught in one at the top were the moving bit goes into the floor right at the side, I was wearing desert welly’s and it gave my toes quite a nip I was lucky and managed to pull them out, I am much more carful when I use them now.

A mate at School lost a trainer at the top of an escalator - sounded unlikely, but then again he also got hit by a bus at the bus-stop and when the luggage fell off the roof rack of his parent's car on the M1, the bed sheets ended up with tyre marks across them.

Chinese people caught in escalators is almost a separate category on LiveLeak.
Here are a few examples.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Looks like it's a national sport in China.

i did work once with a Director of Operations for a large museum who foamed at the mouth about escalators especially in relation to kids. She supported tearing them out and putting in stairs.

i did work once with a Director of Operations for a large museum who foamed at the mouth about escalators especially in relation to kids. She supported tearing them out and putting in stairs.
I think part of the problem with kids and escalators is that their parents don't teach them how to use the escalators safely.
My Dad showed me and told me off when I messed about. He was a school workshop safety adviser (voluntary), so he knew a lot about dangerous stuff - he told me all about the dangers of escalators. No problems since.

He was a school workshop safety adviser (voluntary), so he knew a lot about dangerous stuff - he told me all about the dangers of escalators. No problems since.

Did he tell you hair-raising stories about gruesome accidents? If so we'll need a full account, please. In your own time.

NOTE: Subsequent accident stories were spun off into a separate thread:

Workshop / Workplace Accidents & Safety
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/workshop-workplace-accidents-safety.67130/

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinese people caught in escalators is almost a separate category on LiveLeak.
Here are a few examples.

Will laughing like a teenager at the second video mean I go to hell?

I'm not sure where you got that headline, but it's seriously wrong ...

Incidents involving elevators and escalators kill about 30 and seriously injure about 17,000 people each year in the United States, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Elevators cause almost 90 percent of the deaths and 60 percent of serious injuries. ...

SOURCE (SAME As Link Above): https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/nioshtic-2/20039852.html

I just watched some escalator accident videos. OMFG. There are so many ways those things can injure or kill if they are badly maintained. The number of poor old doddering dears who got into major trouble from toppling over on them was appalling. I mean, they are supposed to be a convenience for people, but the very folk who most need them to work reliably because they have trouble with stairs seem to get into danger with them so often. When I first read the stats, I though, wow, yet another example of people being stupid, but that was my able-bodied prejudice. Many of the vids are blood-curdling.

Quite a fun video, showing the hidden workings of the Prague City Hall paternoster lift.
The eager young man is such a fan that he built his own scale model.

Sounds like a serious malfunction: yellow comb plates typically found at the end of travelators had also broken off.

A woman who got stuck in an travelator in Bangkok's Don Mueang airport had to have her leg amputated by rescuers.

Her son said the family was "shocked" and worried about her mental health after the surgery was carried out on Thursday evening. The 57-year-old's leg got stuck on Thursday morning after she tripped over her suitcase while on her way to board a flight, local media said.

"My mother's morale is quite concerning," her son wrote on Facebook. "We got to speak to her a bit before and after the operation... Even though she showed her strength through facial expression and tone of voice, we knew that deep down she was broken because she suddenly lost a leg," Kit Kittirattana added.

"Our family knows very well that we can neither make her leg work like before, nor can we bring back the same life she had lived," he wrote.

Pictures online showed the woman - who has not been named - in a sitting position with her left leg wedged underneath the travelator. A pink suitcase next to her had lost two wheels, while yellow comb plates typically found at the end of travelators had also broken off.

Airport management said they were "deeply saddened" by the incident and would compensate the woman for the partial loss of her left leg, as well as bear her medical expenses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66062753

Back