• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
When I'd drive along beside Lake Bala I'd tell the kids we were approaching the Khyber Pass, and to look out for Burpas! :chuckle:

There's a nice CH5 documentary out about the fillums - Carry On: Secrets and Scandals.

The director Peter Rogers was notoriously economical. He would make the cast buy their own meals and wouldn't even send a car for them.

One day Charles Hawtrey was walking the last couple of miles to Pinewood Studios, having gone most of the way on the bus, when Laurence Olivier spotted him from his Roller.

Olivier asked where he was going, and said 'Don't they get you a car?' to which Hawtrey replied 'They don't even give us the bus fare!'
This shocked Olivier, who said it was a 'disgrace'.

Hawtrey did of course get a lift and told everyone about it, stressing what Olivier had said about the inadequate travel arrangements.
Kenneth Williams commented 'Ohhh, so THAT'S why they didn't pick him in the Carry On films!'

The 'asses' milk' bath thermostat malfunctioned and overheated the water, making Amanda Barrie as Cleopatra faint. A props worker saved her by grabbing her firmly-attached wig.

It's good on how the more dubious jokes (such as the above-mentioned 'Fakir - off!) were slipped past the censors.
Leslie Philips managed it just by being Leslie Philips. :chuckle:

One for the fans!
Yes, watched that.
When I read that it was going to be on later, I was certain that I would have seen it before, but I hadn't.
Good to see Joan Sims interviewed.

Can anybody recommend a good book about the whole Carry On series?

My top 3 Carry On's , in no particular order: Cleo, Up the Khyber, Screaming.

With honourable mentions to the others with Angela Douglas (Cowboy, Follow that Camel) She was brilliantly funny, much better than Barbara Windsor.
I agree with your Top 3. I would order them as 1: Khyber, 2: Screaming, 3: Cleo.

1.) Up The Khyber
2.) At Your Convenience
3.) Cleo

So the consensus is (and I definitely concur)....

Khyber
Screaming
Cleo.

But what about the best quotations/one liners?

To start it off, from this top three, I give you:

"Faqir off!"
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"Infamy infamy - they've all got it in for me!"

What are your favourite Carry On quips?

Khyber
Screaming
Cleo.

"Faqir off!"

Can't beat them ones.

I liked them. But I hated the camel one.

Mum got to see Don’t lose your heads at school as they thought it was educational about the French Revolution :evillaugh:

Carry On’s can currently be found on ITVX.

Can't beat them ones.
Definitely the cream of the one liners. I also love "Matron, take them away!" from "Camping".

My 2 favourite exchanges are both between Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jaques :

Her : I want to be wooed!
Him : You can be as wooed as you like with me.

... and ...

Him : I was once a weak man.
Her : Once a week's enough for any man.

So silly - but delivered with such relish.

Last edited:

Khyber
Screaming
Cleo.

"Faqir off!"

Carry on cowboy;

''I once talked peace with a Sioux, but you can't trust them.
One moment it was peace on, the next it was peace off''.

(Sid James).

Up the Khyber (including the classic "Faqir off" quip) closely followed by Screaming are my favourite two Carry Ons.
They're all very watchable though - even the much maligned Carry on Columbus had its moments; loved the bit where Jack Douglas warns the girl that the sea is full of man-eating sharks. "Ooh, do you think they'd eat me whole" she asks, to which Jack replied "No. I've heard they spit that bit out.!

Over dinner tonight, we watched the Dad's Army episode "The Two and a Half Feathers" and the "Faqir" double entendre was made several times (e.g. that seemed to upset the old Faqir and the old Faqir put a curse on us all).

Over dinner tonight, we watched the Dad's Army episode "The Two and a Half Feathers" and the "Faqir" double entendre was made several times (e.g. that seemed to upset the old Faqir and the old Faqir put a curse on us all).
It was Jonesey, I suppose? I'm sure I've heard that Clive Dunn was originally resistant to having to deliver smutty double entendre type lines. Or maybe it was just that he wasn't keen on the "they don't like it up 'em" catchphrase. I think he quickly warmed to it though when it kept getting big laughs.

Revelations today about Peter Butterworth's heroic wartime actions in helping organise escapes from Stalag Luft III.

butter.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68209738

Back