• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cars Colliding: A Car Seemingly Appears Out Of Nowhere

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
A car was driving in the other lane and ended up in a head-on collision.
The other car seems to appear out of nowhere and are only visible after the crash.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

At 0.03 the overtaking car can be seen to begin braking heavily. I suggest he has seen the car that appears in the distance approaching him and he is trying to get back on his own side of the road. By 0.04 you can just see the oncoming car against the distant trees.
The overtaking driver loses control and heads into the left hand embankment.

At the beginning the approaching car appears to be black, but whether it is two approaching cars close together is hard to tell as the car on the scene of the crash is red.

Is the red one conceled by the black one ?

here are a few more.

You'll need to add the front bit.

Link added--Yith

I thought i saw something coming from some sort of a little side path on the left more or less at the same time as the red car got to the idiot black car

Er. You know you can move the little red dot at the bottom and go through it frame by frame.
The overtaking car reacts to something before we can see it. An oncoming object appears but it’s only when we see the highlight of the reflection in the windscreen does it seem to pop into view. That car in the collision is followed by a red car. The dark car is mangled by the overtaking doofus.

What is odd is that the oncoming cars seem to appear over the brow of a hill, yet the footage shows the road to be quite level.

The car appears from the side road that the camera car eventually stops at.

More on this crash, note the reference to 'head on'.

87 Passenger dies when a overtaker crashes head-on into another vehicle

Near the village of Brichkivka as a result of an accident a car has been burnt, 5 people have been injured, among them 5-year-old child

Today on an 167 km highway Poltava - Sumy, near the village Brichkivka there was an accident. According to Yuriy Sulaev, a police spokesman, cars VAZ-21099 and Toyota SOROLLA collided. As a result of the collision, the Toyota car burned up on the scene of the adventure. According to preliminary data, 5 people were injured, among them 5-year-old child. All injured hospitalized. Police detects the details of an accident.

On a video published in the Telegram channel "Buggy in Poltava" it is visible how Toyota rides in the oncoming lane and crashes into VAZ.

Update July 14th. According to the Head of the State Tax Service of Ukraine in the Poltava region, as a result of the accident, the Toyota Sorolla driver 1986 was born. (a resident of Poltava) and a passenger in 1988 injured and delivered to the Poltava Regional Clinical Hospital. M.V. Sklifosovsky Driver of VAZ-21099 car in 1978 (a resident of Kremenchuk) and a passenger in 1980 delivered to the intensive care unit of the 1-st City Clinical Hospital of Poltava. Passenger 2007 delivered to the intensive care unit of the Children's Clinical Hospital in Poltava.

Tragic that somebody died in this crash. :(

Although the black car does, at first glance, appear to come from nowhere, it does just seem to be down to the quality of the footage. Slowed down and going through it frame-by-frame, I've managed to screenshot a part where I think both oncoming cars can be seen; the more obvious red one (which doesn't look very red in this picture), and the unfortunate black one just in front of it. I've indicated them both with arrows:

1563211179677.png

It is a bit strange, as @Analogue Boy says, that the cars seem to suddenly appear as if coming over the brow of a hill; you don't really see them coming from way back on the horizon they just seem to sort of 'pop up' mid-way along the field of view. But I guess that is down to the grainy quality also.

I think. :)

Anyone looked at the videos I mention in post #4 ?

All seem highly unlikely to me.

They have a distinct... unreality about them that I can't quite explain... are they CGI'd or something, do you think?

The first one I thought, oh maybe there's a cable or wire stretched across the road, which possibly could explain that one, but the others... the ones at 00:14 and 00:52, to me there's something odd about the debris on the road, it doesn't look... like it ought to look, somehow. I can't really explain it.

Some of them we don't see enough context - before or after - to really get an idea what is going on (e.g. at 00:46 that one could have had a car hit it from behind that was blocked from our vision, but it's not really possible to tell).

Overall... not convinced.

Zebra,

Yes, they look too 'odd' to be real.

Very much as if something is missing from each one. Also there appears to be a slight 'haziness' on some of them that may be airbrushing.

There is one quite famous clip that was explained away, but the explanation doesn't seem to fit with what is seen.

If I find it again I'll post the link here.

INT21.

Either that or something exploded under the bonnet, the engine suddenly dropping out while you are driving would cause a few of those i would think, any mechanics here?

I'm sure the mysterious crashes in INT21's post are special effects, Blender or otherwise. As for the original footage at the top of this thread, it may be more than just "blurry" video. Digital video is usually compressed in a way that doesn't create each frame from whole cloth the way analog video does, but rather just tells the system what's changed in each successive frame. (This is an oversimplification - and I'm no expert - but is sufficient to make my point.) It looks to me like the oncoming car was at first just too small a detail for the level of compression being used.

I'm sure the mysterious crashes in INT21's post are special effects, Blender or otherwise. As for the original footage at the top of this thread, it may be more than just "blurry" video. Digital video is usually compressed in a way that doesn't create each frame from whole cloth the way analog video does, but rather just tells the system what's changed in each successive frame. (This is an oversimplification - and I'm no expert - but is sufficient to make my point.) It looks to me like the oncoming car was at first just too small a detail for the level of compression being used.
Good point. Not every frame is being displayed. It's a heavily compressed video uploaded to Youtube, which then applies further compression.

here are a few more.

You'll need to add the front bit.

Link added--Yith

the upload name for that video is this company

Autour de Minuit is a film production company based in Paris created in 2001 by Nicolas Schmerkin. The company aims at supporting aesthetically innovative projects, and develops original graphic worlds with a solid content. Hybridization -at the heart of the artistic approach of most of the works born in the company- gives the opportunity to explore new ideas and sensations in plastic art and intent to provide with visuals never to be seen before.

so whether its their film, or just some practise video, or whatever i don't know, but it seems pretty likely its not real.

fascinating to watch though.

the upload name for that video is this company

Autour de Minuit is a film production company based in Paris created in 2001 by Nicolas Schmerkin. The company aims at supporting aesthetically innovative projects, and develops original graphic worlds with a solid content. Hybridization -at the heart of the artistic approach of most of the works born in the company- gives the opportunity to explore new ideas and sensations in plastic art and intent to provide with visuals never to be seen before.

so whether its their film, or just some practise video, or whatever i don't know, but it seems pretty likely its not real.

fascinating to watch though.
They are pretty good fakes, I think.
It is conceivable that a steel cable across the road could yield a similar result.

I've seen a few dashcam type videos over the years of cars getting tangled in trolley/tram cables - they seem to resemble some of the clips in the video that INT21 posted. Could it be that someone has just photoshoped out the cables from the clip? In many of the clips you can see power cable infrastructure by the side of or over the road.

Here's a couple of examples:
Example 1
Example 2

Also, note that dashboard cams have very wide-angle lenses which exaggerate lines of perspective. So, it's easy for close things to obscure things farther away until a near approach.

This is described by Captain Disillusion in this debunking video about a ghost car.

Back