• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cars Found Parked & Locked In Odd Locations

Is it true that cars in the U K have one license plate forever.. it stays with the vehicle?
Yes, this is the case. Unless the car owner buys a custom/vanity plate for the car.

In my country, the plate is assigned to the person for life.

Also, to get the car registered, you get that little sticker that goes on the corner of the plate, you must be insured. If it isn't insured, you can't register the car and therefore cannot drive legally on the roads. You can't even park a car on a roadside curb or anywhere else in public for that matter. Is that the case in the UK?

If so that would mean that the owner should be easy to find. Unless the car was not registered and insured to be driven on the roads. Or of course, if the car was stolen. But either way, why would it be difficult to track down the owner?

In my country, the plate is assigned to the person for life.

Also, to get the car registered, you get that little sticker that goes on the corner of the plate, you must be insured. If it isn't insured, you can't register the car and therefore cannot drive legally on the roads. You can't even park a car on a roadside curb or anywhere else in public for that matter. Is that the case in the UK?

If so that would mean that the owner should be easy to find. Unless the car was not registered and insured to be driven on the roads. Or of course, if the car was stolen. But either way, why would it be difficult to track down the owner?
If you know the car registration then it should be easy to track down the person who it is registered to. When a car is sold the transfer of ownership is noted so there should be an easily followable chain. It is however possible to put fals number plates on a car, but they are also stamped with a vehicle identification number which, unless removed, will also identify the car and should allow tracking of the registered owner.

If you know the car registration then it should be easy to track down the person who it is registered to. When a car is sold the transfer of ownership is noted so there should be an easily followable chain. It is however possible to put fals number plates on a car, but they are also stamped with a vehicle identification number which, unless removed, will also identify the car and should allow tracking of the registered owner.

Yes, I figured there would be some way to trace the owner. Someone said earlier that they might have trouble finding the owner. It didn't make sense to me.

Does the Uk have a big problem with people using stolen plates? My plate was stolen once. I got a phone call 5 years after I had reported it to the police. The officer was saying that I needed to come pick up my car at impound or it would be scrapped. That means that my old plate was still in circulation for an additional 5 years after it had been stolen.

Yes, I figured there would be some way to trace the owner. Someone said earlier that they might have trouble finding the owner. It didn't make sense to me.

Does the Uk have a big problem with people using stolen plates? My plate was stolen once. I got a phone call 5 years after I had reported it to the police. The officer was saying that I needed to come pick up my car at impound or it would be scrapped. That means that my old plate was still in circulation for an additional 5 years after it had been stolen.
Mum had hers stolen. She notified the Police and we’ve never heard any more. Interesting thing is we both have Nissan’s and her plates are just stuck on and one of mine is bolted on (no point in stealing one). And mine is the older car.

Bit of a landmark visible out of the train window on the final approach into Bradford Interchange. I've never been in the pub, though, and I've no idea why the car is where it is.

View attachment 23476
Here is the Pink Banksy Car on display in the old Truman Brewery Yard off Hanbury Street in London, pictured in 2007.
1609709634747.jpeg

Couple of relevant points, for me anyway,
Jack the Ripper claimed his second victim, Annie Chapman, in the backyard of a property on Hanbury Street.
I used to get the No. 1 bus to school every morning fromTower Bridge Road between 1974 and 1979.
I got married to the War Office in 2007.
I was working on the 36 storey Broadgate Tower when it was constructed, that is the silver and glass building in the very far distance.

More about the car here
http://www.ravishlondon.com/items/(147).html

Having just come to this thread and seen the pictures of the 'cars parked in odd locations', I would just assume that the car owners came out of a local hostelry (being pre-lockdown), started driving home and then realised they were far too pissed to be able to accurately steer the car home and, in an excess of public spirit, they got out, properly secured their vehicle, and walked home.

By the time the car is reported and the miscreant tracked down, presumably their blood alcohol level is such that they can't be accused of DUA so they can't be prosecuted. Except for 'parking like an idiot', maybe.

Back