• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Case Of The Disappearing Coin

elffriend

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A strange thing happened to me and my sister the other day in Asda's car park.

I had just retrieved the pound coin from the trolley and duly diposited it into the ashtray. I heard the coin hit the bottom of the ashtray and spin round like coins do, but when I looked down it had gone.

We searched the car high and low and no trace of the pound has ever been found. There are no other hard plastic surfaces that would cause the coin to make the sound it did. So where did it go? Anybody experience something similar?

At my apartment in college I had, on top of the TV, a Taco Bell Yoda-cup... with Yoda's upper torso as a fancy lid for a fairly normal large plastic cup.

One day, I accidentally knocked it onto the ground. I found the lid right away... but the cup had vanished! We NEVER found it... weird.

It's probably in the same place as the hundreds of my pounds that disappear every month...where'd they go :confused:

seriously, though, I've often had the it-was-right-there-no-it-can't-have-vanished-no-bloody-way-experience, as well as the it-wasn't-there-a-second-ago-I-just-looked-how-the-heck? one. I've seen a lot of examples on here.

I guess things can kind of skitter about through space and time (or whatever). We notice it when it's things that mean something to us - coins, car keys, (socks?). but maybe it happens to pebbles, twigs, slugs, all the time, and we don't see it

And if it can happen to them, do you think it can happen to humans too?

I also use my car ashtray as a moneybox, and dump other small bits in there too such as badges and paperclips.

Sometimes I pull the whole thing out to look for something and it's not there, but next time I pull it out, it is.

I think there's a ledge inside where things get caught now and then.

What I want to know is, why can I always feel rain falling on my feet, even when I'm wearing boots, when I'm driving in wet weather? :confused:

Does this come under '' Apports''? Or is that when things appear?
This happened to me with a book, I picked it up, it slid through my fingers to go between the bookcase and end of the sofa, but never hit the floor. Naturally I pulled out all the furniture and rummaged down the sofa, but nothing. So I assumed somehow it got wedged beneath. As we were getting a new suite within a couple of weeks, I decided to look when the old one was being removed. Nothing.
It turned up, in a glass fronted cabinet, inside a file with some longhand writing I hadn't looked at in well over a year. There is only the b/f here with me and apart from the fact he never picks things up and puts them away, he knew nothing about it. So as the book was the last of a trology, I put it back in another bookcase in the bedroom, from where about a months later it disapeared again, never to be seen again. The b/f is not a reader and is sublimely uninterested in my books. So, I'm stumped.

maybe a poltergeist nicked it in order to apport it somewhere else.

I had the opposite thing happen with 5p pieces on a weekend break a year or so ago.

I had just arrived and was depositing my bag in my room when a 5p piece dropped at my feet. I wasn't carrying my handbag or purse, nor did I have any pockets in my clothing which might have held any money.

When we were packing up to go, I discovered one of my CD's (out of a double CD box was missing. Everyone searched and it wasn't found. Then one of the others found the CD in a box of hers (where it definitely had not been before, along with a 5p piece (ditto).

Carole

On my 18th Birthday (*thinks*... blimey... that's seventeen years ago!) one of my presents was the gift of £10, a pretty considerable sum back then. I put the £10 safely away in the top drawer of my bedside cabinet, which was otherwise virtually empty. I looked a couple of days later and it had gone. I ripped all the drawers out and did the usual frantic search... nothing. A few days later I opened the drawer to put summat in... and there was the tenner with HM smiling pleasantly at me. There's just no way any member of my family would have taken it for any reason.

I also have a similar problem with books and CDs... not everytime, but NEARLY everytime... a new book or CD will vanish within minutes of me bringing it home, only to reappear several days later in an unexpected place, or in some cases months later, the day or two after I've bought a replacement... I replaced two CDs only last week, and found their originals yesterday in the loft.

My sunglasses disappeared a while ago, and none of my family had seen them anywhere around the house (neither had I). I found them some months later, inside a pair of my shoes, that I'd almost certainly worn in the interim time.

We have other threads on this.

I once had a tearful phone call from a mate who'd put some money in a drawer and then couldn't find it. She'd tipped the drawer out on the table and rifled the contents to no avail, then shovelled everything back in and called me.

I put my left hand into the left side of the drawer (where I'd have put a bundle of notes, being left-handed) and there was the cash.

My mate was so amazed that she thought I must have planted it, except that I hadn't been near! :D

My present runaway item is the packaging from my card reader. It will turn up in an unexpected place as soon as I replace the spare cable. ;)

This reminds me of the most puzzling disappearance we had. My eldest who was 12 at the time lost one of her school shoes and we turned the house upside down looking for it. We couldn't find it so had to buy another pair. Then some time later we moved her into her sister's bedroom as they wanted bunks. Everything was moved out of her room and it was quite empty.
Months later I opened the door of her old room and there was the shoe lying in the middle of the floor.
At the moment my battery operated toothbrush has occasionally decided to disappear from the top of the bathroom basin and I have to find a manual one to clean my teeth.Then after a day or so it reappears.

Yup, shoes. One of mine disappeared a while back and turned up in one of the bedrooms. Why one shoe?

I put a pair of trainers outside last week intending to de-mud them later. Poufff, gone. Nobody's been near them and the dogs don't bother with shoes.

actually yes, I lost my favourite pair of shoes after a party once and searched high and low for them, finally giving up. About two months later I found them in my bedroom, in a place I'd previously looked. Now they're happy shoes because they're back on my feet.

The disappearance of objects has happened to me too. Not so long ago I lost the remote control for the TV. I searched everywhere. I pulled the cushions off the sofa, checked down the sides (where all the crumbs end up etc!), I even pulled the sofa out from the wall and checked behind it and underneath it. I sometimes have a habit of taking it with me when I walk out of the room so I checked the kitchen, bathroom and I even looked in the freezer as I had been in there not long before! Nothing.

About 2 weeks later I went to my friends wedding and stayed in a hotel for the night. They had the same TV as me and the same remote control. Being very naughty, I nicked the remote control! Later on when I got home and had settled back in I put on the TV. Remote control in my hand I happily flicked channels! After watching TV for a bit, I got up off the sofa, putting my hand at the side of me to help me out of the seat and I put my hand on the remote control. It wasn't the one I had nicked though, as that was on the arm of the chair! It was the missing remote control and it was just sitting next to me!

How did that happen then? It had been missing for about 2 weeks or so and I had thoroughly searched the sofa on more than one occassion!

There is definitely a universal law which says you will never find your lost thing until you replace it.

Off on a slight tangent, I had a funny 'lost and found' experience.
I was on holiday in Crete and not being a sunbather, was digging in the sand while my friends lay around. When we came to go, I realised I had lost my cigarette lighter and although we all had a look, it seemed gone forever.
Two days later, we went back to the same beach and again, I was digging around with my hands. I put my hand in up to my wrist and felt something in the sand, pulled it out and it was my lighter. Definitely the same one.
I know it's not a very spooky tale but in the words of the great Harry Hill...what are the chances of that happening?
:wow:

I had a rennie macintosh style silver ring. One day it just disappeared. Several months later I found it behind several doors that we had briefly stored in the kitchen.

a couple of years ago arriving home from the pub with a takeaway I dropped my doorkey - car keys attached - in the kitchen and while getting the food open forgot to pick it up.
Next morning there was no sign of the keys and since the car key was the only one I had ( and it was chipped ) I finished up having the car which was locked and in "park" hoisted onto a low loader and taken to the dealers for sorting out.
Weeks later I took my dressing gown - which I never wear - down from the back of the bathroom door to put through the wash and what was in the pocket ? yep my keys, very strange :eek!!!!:

This happens to me and the missus so often we give each other 'the look' and say "Must've put it someplace safe." Sure enough the item will turn up months later in some odd location. (We put it down to a momentary trance state we go into whenever putting something away. At least that's our theory.)

Presently I'm searching for a cd I had recorded of a prophesy that was spoken over me, I played it twice and haven't seen it since. I thought it was on our massive bookshelf, but we recently moved it to remodel, and it wasn't there.

Hmmm... This thread gives me hope that some stuff I've lost might turn up! :D

A question to all who have experienced this: Does the missing item tend to show up in the same general area? Anyone ever lose something in one residence, for example, then move, and have it turn up in the new home?

I have a CD case that seems to have disappeared completely, and I moved and so assume that it's stashed in with something it doesn't belong with and if I ever finish unpacking I'll find it - but maybe it's turned up in my old apartment and whoever lives there now is looking at it going :confused:

Do we file this with rings going missing while swimming and turning up 15 years later in a fish meal?

Once my piano books disappeared off the dining room table. I was convinced my dad had thrown them out by accident, but a year or two later they appeared on my mom's dresser. Had an interesting time trying to explain that one to my piano teacher.:)

Here's something to think about, every year in the UK 210,000 people go missing.Of these about 90% are accounted for,
they've left home, left the country etc. But the freaky thing is 10% of people are not accounted for, they simply vanish into thin air without reason.

What happens to them nobody knows, obviously
some of them may commit suicide in rivers, in the sea etc, but where do the rest go?. The same place as your pound coin?.

There was a story I recall reading in Fortean Times ages ago, telling of a 40-ish year old man leaving his home in a small town up north somewhere, to walk about 80 yards to his local shop.
His family waited an hour or so and then went to find him. He had been to the shop and bought some items and somewhere in the 2 minute walk back to his house, just vanished.

The family looked for hours, and then finally called the police, no trace of him could be found. About a week or 2 later police found his body some miles away on some waist ground, the coroner, If I remember rightly, couldn't find a cause of death, and no explanation has ever been found.

:confused: :wtf:

I do wonder that some people who go missing walk into a dimensional warp, and disappear into another dimension.
A few unlucky ones end up dead.
Lucky ones find their way back eventually.

There is a ' Missing ' thread somewhere on here, very interesting.
Infidel, that story sounds something like ( I can't remember his name ) who went out to get some potatoes, and was found on top of a coal tip, but he was an older man. I've read it in some ' Alien Abduction ' - ish book.
I've also read about parachutists ' vanishing ' between aircraft and ground, and a man who ' appeared ' in the US on a busy street, was prompty knocked down and killed and was found to be carrying old money and an an address for somewhere that no longer existed.( It existed but as a different shop/home )

Originally posted by Lethe
There is a ' Missing ' thread somewhere on here, very interesting.
Infidel, that story sounds something like ( I can't remember his name ) who went out to get some potatoes, and was found on top of a coal tip, but he was an older man. I've read it in some ' Alien Abduction ' - ish book.

Spot on Lethe, the old man getting potatoes was the story I was thinking about, glad it wasn't a figment of my imagination:p

Now you,ve jogged my memory, I seem to recall that it was actually on a sci/fi - Discovery channel program.

Could it be that the phenomena seen in the Bermuda triangle is a lot more common than we think?, perhaps theres a warp hole in my shed, as numerous lawnmowers and strimmers have vanished over the years. !!!!:eek!!!!:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some houses are worse than others for the vanishing thing. The current one I'm in is bad and I try to ask the house gremlins to return it but they don't give a toss. Lost my work keys, I.D badge and my Emergency Response Team badge and they just went, never to return. I'm very careful with work keys and stuff. A book turned up in a place on the shelf I'd checked at least five times.

I think people do just vanish and I always wonder where they go to. I hope its a better place.

Cool thread, must have missed it before somehow!

Several months ago I dropped a pair of forceps at work. I heard the tinkle as they hit the floor (which I was standing almost in the middle of) at my feet. But they weren't there. In fact they weren't anywhere. I had a good search round and looked under anything that was slightly raised off the ground. No forceps.

A couple of weeks ago I found them on the bottom shelf of a trolley which stands at the side of the room. They definatly had not been there before and I find it hard to imagine that anyone finding an object as handy as a pair of forceps would have put them there.

Hope the fairies haven't had my forceps.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
On another thread, I've posted a picture of Mike Jonze, my cursed jade monkey. I bought him in Beijing this Christmas and he has a wee red thread that you can string around your neck, he's only tiny so I was wearing him on New Year's Eve.

That evening, when we were sitting in a restaurant in Shanghai, I noticed that he'd vanished from around my neck. I checked down the back of my trousers and even in my shoes, but he'd gone.

A couple of days later, I found him in one of the shoes I'd been wearing that night (and in the days since then). He'd not been pushed into the toe - he was just sitting in there.

I've had loads of things disappear - I had a pound coin disappear from my hand once.

Very odd.

I once found a pair of Calvin Klien sunglasses in my wifes (then girlfriends) sowing box. They were in their case and neither my wife or I had seen them before.
It was all very odd - I still have them, but kind of expect them to dissappear at any moment.
I have a theory (though it might not actually be mine) that sometimes your brain just doesnt register that it is seeing something, manys the time that I have been looking for something that, to other people is clearly visible and been unable to find it.

Back