• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Castles' Folklore

A

Anonymous

loved the story of the earl of glamis.
secret rooms/ghosts/spooky castle/ the earl locked up and hidden for years.

please post more on any of the above.

Cardiff castle has been inhabited since it was a roman fort and has buildings and ruins within its walls from many historical periods and has born witness to masacres (Glyndwr's Welsh revolt when he and his army re-concoured Wales, and cut off the noses of every citizen in Cardiff that had colaborated with the english), wars, murders, political prisoners and just about every other thing you'd expect to happen in one of britains most important castles and stately homes.

It's also one of britain's most haunted castles with 6 ghosts in the medevil black tower alone where the welch regimental museum is located (one of which I have had personal experience of and posted the story on this mb) the museums curator is a relative of mine so I've been able to see parts of the tower unopen to the public, one room of which is not used at all as there were so many people getting spooked in there that no one wanted to even go in there in the end (it's where a paticully phycotic revolutionary was imprissoned and later murdered after he had killed a frew of his gaurds over a few months). There are also ghosts elsewhere in the castle such as the roman leigionaire that haunts a section of roman wall under the curtain walls that is fooded during most winters and closed to the public and the elderly nanny that haunts the nursery in the ecentric William Burges designed hanovarian stately home.

(that the kind of thing you were after mark? :) )

Ooo I went there with a friend. I didn't see any ghosts though, maybe because I had my bodyguard with me. :D

Berry Pomeroy castle in Devon is supposed to be not only haunted but have an evil atmosphere that children find particularly distressing. Of course I had to see if that was true and took my kids there when they were younger as an experimant :D
The tall trees around made it seem a bit dark but the atmosphere wasn't bad and my kids only got scared when I hid and made ghost noises.

Hey I saw a spoookeeeeeeeee letter in the FT. At the Scottish castle where there's a connection to the character from 'Braveheart' a pair of huge hairy hands felt their way round a door towards a schoolkid, who swear he was the only one to see them! This was before the fillum came out so he wasn't somehow elaborating from that.

We got locked inside Castle Bolton in Wensleydale one time;
the only way in or out is via an old door in the castle gift shop; when we had been round the keep, we went back to the door, and the ancient latch came away in my hands...

it was a piece of black ironmongery, about four inches long, and nothing I could do could make it operate the door.
We were trapped, together with a scattering of bemused american tourists.

Knocking on the thick old medieval door, designed to withstand axe attacks, did not attract the attention of the deaf old biddy working in the gift shop for several minutes.

If Mary Queen of Scots had come down from her apartment on the second floor to see what all the noise was I wouldn't have been surprised. But she didn't.

A couple of villages up the coast from where I grew up is the motte and bailey of Skipsea Brough, which can be seen from the main road to Bridlington, the impressive motte looking like a mini-Silbury in the flat East Yorkshire landscape. The site has its own ghost too, Lady de Bevere, the niece of William the Conquerer. She was married to Drogo de Bevere, who had fought at Hastings and been rewarded by William by being given Skipsea, as well as his niece's hand.

Drogo, for unspecified reasons beyond being a cruel husband, fatally poisoned his wife, and immediately hot-footed it back to mainland Europe to escape William. Since then, the ghost of a lady in white has been seen around the castle's remains, believed to be Lady de Bevere.

When I was at school, a girl from Skipsea in my class once said that she'd seen a ghost at the Brough; a white figure that came through a hedge, crossed the road and then vanished. She was one of those "hard" girls (a sort of prototype for Tasha Slappa from Viz), and not the sort of person you'd think would admit to something like that for fear of ridicule (teenage girls being the most terrifying peer group in existence, IMO). She didn't seem to know about the legend, but when I started telling her about it, she just said "Shurrup!", because it scared her!

I'm back from a holiday in Scotland. Before going, I'd been reading 'Poltergeist over Scotland', by Geoff Holder, so I used this as a travel guide. I was very excited to visit the ruined Galdenoch Castle as it says in the book that it was considered to be so haunted that it was just abandoned - though it's also pointed out that local smuggling gangs might have found it to their advantage to circulate rumours of it being haunted!
Galdenoch Castle.jpg

I'm back from a holiday in Scotland. Before going, I'd been reading 'Poltergeist over Scotland', by Geoff Holder, so I used this as a travel guide. I was very excited to visit the ruined Galdenoch Castle as it says in the book that it was considered to be so haunted that it was just abandoned - though it's also pointed out that local smuggling gangs might have found it to their advantage to circulate rumours of it being haunted!View attachment 59217
Great pic. thanks for posting that :)

Reactions: Sie
Back