Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The late Freddy Mercury was evidently a cat lover. I note that one of his companions was a ginger tabby. A wise choice indeed! Said ginger boy strongly resembles my late Oscar (2000-2016):
View attachment 20189
In the Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody he's shown as buying a big house so all his cats can have their own rooms.

He comes across in t'fillum as rather lonely later in life, mainly spending his time with the cats and his boyfriend Jim.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
It took research to figure this out?

Could they not just have asked us!

Cats are securely bonded to their people, too

Date: September 23, 2019
Source: Cell Press

Cats have a reputation for being aloof and independent. But a study of the way domestic cats respond to their caregivers suggests that their socio-cognitive abilities and the depth of their human attachments have been underestimated. The findings show that, much like children and dogs, pet cats form secure and insecure bonds with their human caretakers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190923111229.htm

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
It took research to figure this out?

Could they not just have asked us!

Cats are securely bonded to their people, too

Date: September 23, 2019
Source: Cell Press

Cats have a reputation for being aloof and independent. But a study of the way domestic cats respond to their caregivers suggests that their socio-cognitive abilities and the depth of their human attachments have been underestimated. The findings show that, much like children and dogs, pet cats form secure and insecure bonds with their human caretakers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190923111229.htm
One of our cats adores me, he's 14 and we've had him since he was about ten weeks old. He's independent all day but as soon as he comes into the house he clings to me like a limpet, follows me around everywhere and even sleeps right up next to me. He's got more affectionate as he's got older, I think it's an insecurity thing as he's not as sharp as he used to be, bless him.

20181215_125733 (375x500).jpg

plastic wiganer

Ephemeral Spectre
i think we (my family)have been really lucky regarding our feline collection (we have 4 and a dog) as each of them are very loving in their own way, none of them have a nasty streak and all enjoy being made a fuss of. Even Alfie who is VERY independent has his soft side and loves nothing more than snuggling up to my neck so i can rub my chin on his! He goes into his own little trance when i do this - drooling and pawing/digging his claws in (making biscuits?) Love em all to bits!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
gotta say, im with the ghost on this one, who lets a cat in the bedroom, gtfo
We have threads on ghost cats. One of my stories is on them -

The former Mr Snail used to try to keep the cats out of the bedrooms. One night when our bedroom door was firmly closed a cat walked diagonally across the bed, from my left foot and over my right knee and thigh and onto his abdomen and shoulder. He shouted 'Who let that cat in?'

I knew it wasn't a real cat and told him so. He jumped up, put the light on, saw no cat where he expected it, and ransacked the room for it. No cat. I stood laughing for a bit and then went back to bed. He carried on looking for the cat. All our several cats were downstairs. It was the ghost cat.

brownmane

off kilter
I had a cat who lived to 17. As she aged, she became more interested in being with me whenever I was around. She got so that she would lie on my chest at night and always lick my face and my hair while lying there. I mentioned the extra licking behaviour to my vet and he told me that, as cats age, their hunting and providing abilities decline, so to compensate for this and to remain useful to their clowder (a new word I just learned), they groom the others.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
We have threads on ghost cats. One of my stories is on them -

The former Mr Snail used to try to keep the cats out of the bedrooms. One night when our bedroom door was firmly closed a cat walked diagonally across the bed, from my left foot and over my right knee and thigh and onto his abdomen and shoulder. He shouted 'Who let that cat in?'

I knew it wasn't a real cat and told him so. He jumped up, put the light on, saw no cat where he expected it, and ransacked the room for it. No cat. I stood laughing for a bit and then went back to bed. He carried on looking for the cat. All our several cats were downstairs. It was the ghost cat.
It was a protest on behalf of the banned cats.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
The amount of uproar they can create on a bed is large. I m about to adopt a cat but the form at the humane society doesn't list the salient questions: is she a dawn face patter? Is she a midnight stomach-jumper? What does she actually do with the dead mice?

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
When I was home from my night shift years ago, my cat would follow me up to bed and lay on my chest until I stroked him. He was a dead weight when I wanted to pull the covers up, as he used to lay on the other side of the bed.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
To those poor disturbed human sleepers who won't let the cats into the bedroom, I offer this kitten propaganda:

images-2.jpg Resistance is futile.

Last edited by a moderator:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
I used to have four cats, who slept on my bed, one at each corner (each one pretending to be the only cat in the world, in the approved fashion). It was like being stapled into bed.

They had to be shut out of the bedroom following a late night dispute which woke me from a deep sleep to a mass of full on spitting fury and nearly precipitated a heart attack.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I used to have four cats, who slept on my bed, one at each corner (each one pretending to be the only cat in the world, in the approved fashion). It was like being stapled into bed.

They had to be shut out of the bedroom following a late night dispute which woke me from a deep sleep to a mass of full on spitting fury and nearly precipitated a heart attack.
When I had two dogs the smaller one would sleep on my bed (usually along with a couple of cats) to the resentment of Big Dog.
One night Smaller Dog had a nightmare or summat and started barking and yelping in her sleep and rolled off the bed onto Big Dog, who in turn yelped in surprise at being woken and also stated barking. They both then had a full-on yelpfest. At 3am.

I groaned, rolled over and covered my ears with the duvet while they sorted it out between themselves. Smaller Dog soon put Big Dog in his place and jumped back on my bed and was snoring in seconds. Ahh, the pleasures of pet-owning.