Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

Who did he think he was kitten?

Russian carrier Aeroflot has stripped a passenger of his air miles for breaching its rules by sneaking his overweight cat aboard a flight.

Mikhail Galin, 34, took his cat Viktor on board flight SU1702, from Moscow to Vladivostok, Aeroflot said. Under Aeroflot's rules, pets weighing more than 8kg (17lb) must be placed in the luggage hold. Because Viktor was too heavy for the passenger cabin, Mr Galin devised a cunning plan. He swapped Viktor for a smaller cat during check-in to get around the weight restrictions.

Mr Galin then gave the smaller cat back to its owners at the airport before boarding the plane to Vladivostok with Viktor. His mistake, it seems, was posting on Facebook about the "operation to replace the fat cat Viktor". A picture on his public profile shows Viktor sitting on the plane next to a glass of sparkling wine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50398672

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Weird about the plane cat, does it weigh less in the luggage hold than it would in the passenger cabin?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Our ancient moggie Bagpuss likes to lounge on me, which I don't mind, but she does claw me a bit. I recently acquired one of those heated pads, like a miniature electric blanket, for her. Hoping she'll realise how nice and warm it is and how it conveniently doesn't squeal when she digs the nails in.

Used to have those pads for the animals years ago and they LOVED them. Somewhere I have a photo of all 4 cats and out JRT snuggled up together on one.

We've found out a bit more background info on our feral lodger (He's permanently moved in now and hasn't stayed out overnight for months). A neighbour down the road came to collect a parcel, saw him and said "oh he's ended up with you now?" Apparently she's the owner of one of his many illegitimate offspring (5 down our road at last count) and reckons he's about 12 years old. He given up on the sofa since it got cold and now spends his days between the radiator and his grub bowl.

WIN_20191128_10_01_05_Pro.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This new study indicates cats do exhibit facial expressions, but most humans are woefully bad at understanding them ...
Cats Do Have Facial Expressions, We're Just Bad at Reading Them, Study Shows

We generally assume a purring cat is a contented cat. It's safe to say a hissing cat, its ears drawn back, is not pleased.

But aside from the visage of Grumpy Cat - who may not have been grumpy at all - feline faces don't tell us much about how cats feel. Or rather, as a new study on the topic found, most of us are pretty terrible at reading cats' expressions.

Cats have a reputation for being "inscrutable", the researchers say, and their results mostly back up this notion. More than 6,000 study participants in 85 countries, the vast majority of them cat owners, watched brief cat videos and then judged the animals' moods. The average score was just under 60 percent correct - an F, if cat videos were a school subject.

However, 13 percent of participants did quite well, scoring 75 percent or above. The researchers dubbed these achievers "cat whisperers" - and said their results are important.

"Cats are telling us things with their faces, and if you're really skilled, you can spot it," said author Georgia Mason, a behavioral biologist at the University of Guelph in Ontario.

"Some people can do it - that means there's something there. That means that cats are hard to read," but not wholly inscrutable, she said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/cats-do-have-facial-expressions-you-re-just-bad-at-reading-them