Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Yes they do. One of mine has made me the lovely gesture of doing a heart-shaped poo.

(On the newspaper I have to spread around the tray because the precious little prince and princesses won't use the litter after each other.)

You know what I mean that crazy, stumbling about, half fearsome, half terrified with a really serious face that only kittens can do.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
There may be a photo. When I feel everyone is ready.
I'm looking forward to seeing it, I have no problem with cat shit now (it was different before Molly), I have never seen Chico have a poo but some times it feels like I've never missed one of Molly's !

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Kitties no more..

Hope you enjoyed their brief stay and they have now returned safely home to preempt any hissing re copyright concerns.

They can still be visited each day at their comfy home websites.

The memes, etc are deemed to be without fraught.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Hopkins does have a second career as a composer of orchestral music, I learned last year!

By coincidence, I learned just yesterday that so did Lionel Barrymore! Some of his stuff is on Youtube.

Good wishes to Sir Anthony & his felid, just in case they ever check-in here. He does feature in a startling tale of coincidence, involving a book! :cat:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Catastrophe avoided. Vid at link.

Cat rescued after day on top of electricity pole near Peterborough
A cat spent 24 hours stuck at the top of a 9m (30ft) electricity pole between two live cables before being rescued.
The RSPCA was called to Farcet, near Peterborough, on 1 April by local residents, who saw him run up the pole to escape a dog the day before, but had hoped he would come back down himself.
The charity said the cat is believed to be semi-feral, lives in outbuildings and is well-known to people in the village.
Insp Steve Reeves said: "Once he was safely down from the post, I checked the cat over for any bumps or scrapes, but as he seemed to be in good health, we released him back to his little kingdom."
  • 02 Apr 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52143272/cat-rescued-after-day-on-top-of-electricity-pole-near-peterborough

tuco

Reaction score
I was woken earlier by the sound of a cat hitting the cat flap, when I looked I saw it was the cat who has been trying to adopt me for the last few months, inside trying to get out. There's no way he could have got in, it only works with Chico and Molly's chips, I opened the door and he ran out . He's a handsome chap, kind of sandy/ blue tabby and big, definitely a house cat, a lot bigger than Chico but that doesn't stop Chico beating him up every time he sees him. Chico's my appointed minder, he takes the job very seriously .

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I was woken earlier by the sound of a cat hitting the cat flap, when I looked I saw it was the cat who has been trying to adopt me for the last few months, inside trying to get out. There's no way he could have got in, it only works with Chico and Molly's chips, I opened the door and he ran out . He's a handsome chap, kind of sandy/ blue tabby and big, definitely a house cat, a lot bigger than Chico but that doesn't stop Chico beating him up every time he sees him. Chico's my appointed minder, he takes the job very seriously .
He may have followed directly behind one of your own cats. I think cat relationships with other cats outside of their home/family is a lot more complicated than we realize.

I've seen deadly territorial enemies join forces to see off a new enemy, I've seen cats that have fought each other numerous times just chill out together suggesting they've reached a decision.

Cats can also be loving and supportive one minute to each other only to kick the crap out of each other moments later and that's in their own family.

Cat on cat behaviour with those outside of their litter are always fraught as they don't just rely on sight but all the other senses too. They're not really designed to live together but they do and they do it often successfully.

This is why the opinion that dogs are smarter than cats because they live in packs always makes me laugh. Dogs have evolved to live in packs, cats haven't but they still manage to do it whilst overcoming their inbuilt tendency to be solitary.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Old lady Mally we've had to capture her and bring her in, she's on AB's and going for a dental, shes on pain-killers. She's always been pretty wild these last few years.

We caught her, (I have a massive scimitar wound from her on my hand), she's had pain relief and AB's now she's sleeping on the main bed. Her sister is no longer freaking out all the time, worrying about her.

Mally - she purrs, (nice purrs), in her sleep all the time now. Lying on fresh sheets - she's in heaven. The bedroom door is open and she comes and goes in and outside via the cat flap - it's like you could have decided to do this 5 years ago????

tuco

Reaction score
Molly had always lived and slept outside, but would come in for food and a sit on my lap, she purrs so hard she can't breath sometimes, accompanied by dribbling and violent headbutts, but for the past three months or so has stayed in ( self isolating head of everyone else ), which I'm very happy about ( more so since she learnt how to use the litter tray - more or less ). Chico is always busy ratting, its as if Rats 'had personally and hereditarily affronted him; and therefore it was a sort of point of honor with him, to destroy them whenever encountered.' ( borrowed from Melville ). During the first year Chico adopted me, he brought me well over a hundred rats, at first alive ( teaching me how to hunt ), then with a broken back to make it easier, then dead. When he finally realised I was beyond teaching he stopped bringing them back, now I only get dead ones on special occasions.

tuco

Reaction score
He may have followed directly behind one of your own cats. I think cat relationships with other cats outside of their home/family is a lot more complicated than we realize.

I've seen deadly territorial enemies join forces to see off a new enemy, I've seen cats that have fought each other numerous times just chill out together suggesting they've reached a decision.

Cats can also be loving and supportive one minute to each other only to kick the crap out of each other moments later and that's in their own family.

Cat on cat behaviour with those outside of their litter are always fraught as they don't just rely on sight but all the other senses too. They're not really designed to live together but they do and they do it often successfully.

This is why the opinion that dogs are smarter than cats because they live in packs always makes me laugh. Dogs have evolved to live in packs, cats haven't but they still manage to do it whilst overcoming their inbuilt tendency to be solitary.
Cats have always wanted to adopt me, ( I believe cats can sense generosity in a person ), when Chico first turned up I tried to dissuade him due to all the wildlife he was killing, but he had made up his mind and I had no say in the matter, he considered I needed looking after and he was the best cat for the job. When I meet a cat I treat them for what they are, an intelligent individual and cats like this, what most cats hate is being treated like a pet, and I think this is why cats have a reputation for being awkward, I have no problems with Chico and Molly, we are friends living together looking out for each other.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I never understood someone making a cat wear something like that, they have a perfectly beautiful coat as it is, i can understand if it is really really cold or the cats had an op and its chilly cause the furs been shaved, but not for the hell of it. Or am i just a picky moaning sod

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I never understood someone making a cat wear something like that, they have a perfectly beautiful coat as it is, i can understand if it is really really cold or the cats had an op and its chilly cause the furs been shaved, but not for the hell of it. Or am i just a picky moaning sod
No Shady, you're definitely not a picky moaning sod! I completely agree. I'm surprised the cat in the photo tolerates wearing it. I doubt either of my cats would sit still long enough to allow any garment to be put on them -- not that I would even attempt it. My Caroline would likely tear it to shreds within minutes. That cat must be graciously indulging an act of human quirkiness.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Thank you, and the cats thinking , when the stupid humans back is turned I'm going to rip this off then pee on her bed
Yea, my Honey would never let me near her, she would tear me apart, and my new one, Tigger, he would probably let me cause he is so chilled hes frozen, bless him but i would never do it.

tuco

Reaction score
I agree shady but I have a cat ( or rather she has me ), that has had a hard life which means she comfort grooms until she bleeds so has to wear an anxiety reducing coat all the time, she's happy enough but if she gets it off will make a mess of her self in minuets, that jumper would look good on her but would not last long.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Stops them from going catatonic.

Stressed-out cats at a London animal shelter are being played soothing sounds of nature to keep them calm.

MP3 players in the cats' pens play sounds such as rainfall and birdsong.Staff at the Mitcham Homing Centre also use a soundtrack of everyday noises such as sneezing, laughing and coughing. The centre says as well as relaxing the felines, this will prepare them for when the coronavirus lockdown is over and they can be found new homes.

Senior cat care assistant Jane Francis said: "I felt that stimulating as many senses and natural behaviours as possible, without overloading them, could only be beneficial for the cats, especially the more sociable ones, and kittens who are still learning about the world around them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52344855