Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
@Megadeth1977 's mention of the game with the cat reminded me of a book I enjoyed as a child; Paul Gallico's 'Jenny'.

A young boy called Peter loves cats but is not allowed to keep one. When he is knocked down in the street and seriously injured, he recovers consciousness as a cat and goes off to start a new life on the streets. Luckily he meets with a friendly stray called Jenny who teaches him how to survive.

If anyone who likes cats hasn't read this, I urge you to complete your education AT ONCE. This book crept into my soul as a child!

In fact, I've only just realised that when I worked in hospitals I gave student nurses Jenny's very own advice.

Jenny tells Peter that when a cat is uncertain about something, it can sit down and wash itself. As no other cat may interrupt this important ritual
it gives time to think, and washing is important anyway and should be done frequently. 'If in doubt, wash!'

I used to tell student nurses 'When you need a minute to think, or you'd just like a breather, go to a ward sink and wash your hands. Nobody can stop you or interrupt you, everyone will see you doing it, which looks good! and you should be doing as often as possible anyway.'

Gallico was a prolific writer - he called himself a 'storyteller' - who covered many subjects.
He loved cats and often wrote about them. Some of his cat stories were filmed. 'Jenny' is believed by some to be the best cat book ever written.

Right, I'm off for a shower...

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You should have seen Blackie last night.

He came in for food soaking wet.

So we got a towel and dried him off, I held his front legs while Dad rubbed. He struggled a bit, but he didnt scratch or bite (as he can do)

Normaly he eats and then goes out again. He doesnt spend much time indoors and he seems to have an anxiety about getting trapped.

But after examining the state of the weather, he decided to stay in.

So me and Dad were sat at our respective PCs Bleckie comes to me, rubs and purrs (he doesnt purr much) and gets on my lap. He then jumps off and gives Dad that treatment, then back to me.

This goes on for an hour. (were patient)

He then explores the room a bit more, and goes of to sleep in a hump on the back of the sofa. (never mind there are better places to sleep)

Hour or so later he wakes and decides to risk the weather.

He is a feral, but can be quite aimiable if you let him do as he pleases.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No, thats not Blackie; he has a few white hairs and a white tuft on his chest.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I'm sure it's adorable but, my software is outdated, I can't see it. I'm only able to see youtube clips. :(

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
The most recent figures of how many creatures are killed by cats are from the Mammal Society. They estimate that cats in the UK catch up to 100 million prey items over spring and summer, of which 27 million are birds.

This is the number of prey items which were known to have been caught. We don't know how many more the cats caught, but didn't bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The old lady has been put to sleep. Mally 18 had cancer of the face but spent the last 3 weeks happy, purry, lovely. Completely different from the moody cat that lived outside for the last 5 years - her choice. She was like a kitten the last few weeks - following us about.

Her sister Pris is demented and hasn't seemed to realize yet. The good thing is that young Juna has been cuddling up to Pris and sleeping with her.

Mally was on weekly vet visits and she went earlier today.

Then at home, she had a massive bleed and fell over. I gave her subcutaneous pain relief even though she wasn't in pain and we decided she couldn't eat anymore and it was time.

She was wrapped in my wife's dressing gown and taken to the vets - she was purring away - not pain purring. But if she couldn't eat and I didn't want her to drown in her own blood - if she had another bleed.

When I smashed up my arm in a mountain bike accident after the hospital op I was sent home and she never left my side.

The women who ran the cat sanctuary where we got Mally and Pris said they'd be impossible to tame and wouldn't be good pets - this woman knew more about cats than I will ever know but as I said at the time "Well that's a challenge".

Mally - not as evil as the old fella Jonah but you tried. Not as half as evil as people thought you were even though vets feared you. You were very clever.

I appreciated the time when I was mending and you never left my side.

It never gets easy when you allow someone to kill your cat.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The old lady has been put to sleep. Mally 18 had cancer of the face but spent the last 3 weeks happy, purry, lovely. Completely different from the moody cat that lived outside for the last 5 years - her choice. She was like a kitten the last few weeks - following us about.

Her sister Pris is demented and hasn't seemed to realize yet. The good thing is that young Juna has been cuddling up to Pris and sleeping with her.

Then at home, she had a massive bleed and fell over. I gave her subcutaneous pain relief even though she wasn't in pain and we decided she couldn't eat anymore and it was time.

She was wrapped in my wife's dressing gown and taken to the vets - she was purring away - not pain purring. But if she couldn't eat and I didn't want her to drown in her own blood - if she had another bleed.

When I smashed up my arm in a mountain bike accident after the hospital op I was sent home and she never left my side.

The women who ran the cat sanctuary where we got Mally and Pris said they'd be impossible to tame and wouldn't be good pets - this woman knew more about cats than I will ever know but as I said at the time "Well that's a challenge".

Mally - not as evil as the old fella Jonah but you tried. Not as half as evil as people thought you were even though vets feared you. You were very clever.

Sad news, my thoughts are with you. Take care.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

You don't need me to tell you this, but you did the right thing. It was at the right time too.
Responsible and compassionate, all an animal could ask for in an owner.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score

My condolences.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Wife and i went through the same thing with our 20+ year old boy earlier this year. We share your pain!

Lb8535

Reaction score

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Episcopal operations, but what is this? Its not a sermon because he's talking about something he did about a hymn. Just seems a little impolite to have a full tea setup while he's doing it. Oh yeah, cute cat and he's clearly done it before, he knows just where the milk is.
Morining reflection and reading.

Some churches have been doing them (along with prayers and services) online for some time, others have begun only since the virus struck.

Many more from Canterbury Cathedral here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DandCofCanterbury/videos

Or:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/No1Cathedral/videos/?ref=page_internal

Wish I were back in Blighty to take a wander around Canterbury...

Lb8535

Reaction score
Morining reflection and reading.

Some churches have been doing them (along with prayers and services) online for some time, others have begun only since the virus struck.

Many more from Canterbury Cathedral here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DandCofCanterbury/videos

Or:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/No1Cathedral/videos/?ref=page_internal

Wish I were back in Blighty to take a wander around Canterbury...
Thanks. Yes Canterbury is high on my list to revisit if we ever get to, and there are some roman roads I want to walk.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

:group:
My condolences on Mally's passing, NF. I agree with Scargy and Frideswide: you made the right decision. I hope your many fond memories of Mally will be a comfort.