Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
No real point to this post, but I'm sitting here in my conservatory (aka my office, since lockdown) and our elderly long-haired domestic has fallen asleep on the windowsill.
I couldn't resist taking a photo (very quietly so as not to wake the old lady) and sharing it here.

Astute Fortean Forum members may recognise the hideous backquarters of a grotesque tartan reindeer monstrosity, that my wife bought to adorn our mantelpiece last Christmas (when the world still felt normal).

puss.JPG

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Two little French kitties sing a duet in Seoul, November 30th, 1996

According to the comments:
"They are called the Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois/ Little Singers of the Wooden Cross . . . The brunette's name was Renee and the blond was named Hyacinth, if I am not mistaken . . . "

Another thinks the brunette went on to become their parish priest! :)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This kitten thinks she's a catalytic converter.

Three vehicles had to be partially dismantled in one day to rescue a kitten that kept climbing into engines.

RSPCA officers were called to a car park after someone heard meowing coming from a car, in Norfolk. Wheels and bodywork were removed at a garage in King's Lynn, but before Lohse was reached, she ran under another. That car was also partially dismantled before the third escape - under the RSPCA's own van - which was then taken apart to finally reach the feline.

The charity said it took "several hours" to rescue the animal, believed to be between six and 12 weeks old, on 14 July.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-53615520

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Today is my Caroline's official birthday. She shared the date with the late and much-missed Oscar, who was the inspiration for my username. She was a stray, so it's impossible to know the exact date of her birth. I keep asking her to confirm the date but my question is always met with a quizzical look. ;) She has lived with me for almost eleven of those twelve years.

Technically Caroline is a senior cat but she acts very much like a kitten. She is quite athletic and loves to run around the house and climb tall pieces of furniture. She has apparently influenced her housemate, Annabelle, to adopt these habits. Yesterday I returned home after a few hours' absence to discover Annabelle, age 3, lounging on top of the grandfather clock. I tried to snap a photo of her in that pose but of course she had moved by the time the camera was ready. I've never seen Annabelle climb up there when I'm at home. Perhaps this is one of her guilty pleasures.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Today is my Caroline's official birthday. She shared the date with the late and much-missed Oscar, who was the inspiration for my username. She was a stray, so it's impossible to know the exact date of her birth. I keep asking her to confirm the date but my question is always met with a quizzical look. ;) She has lived with me for almost eleven of those twelve years.

Technically Caroline is a senior cat but she acts very much like a kitten. She is quite athletic and loves to run around the house and climb tall pieces of furniture. She has apparently influenced her housemate, Annabelle, to adopt these habits. Yesterday I returned home after a few hours' absence to discover Annabelle, age 3, lounging on top of the grandfather clock. I tried to snap a photo of her in that pose but of course she had moved by the time the camera was ready. I've never seen Annabelle climb up there when I'm at home. Perhaps this is one of her guilty pleasures.
When they are doing something incredible they can be a bit like the Loch Ness Monster, UFO's or Bigfoot - just as you reach for the camera they stop doing it or take off.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Right. I have a problem. My house has started to smell of cat.

I have two neutered male cats -the older one (Tigger) is 15 and on expensive thyroid medication. The younger one -VERY big with long hair (Bruno) is about 10 and, as far as I know, OK healthwise.

There are three cat litter trays in the house, not used much.

There are also two neighbouring cats who try to pop in whenever they see a door open, but they too are neutered.

I' m retired ,so I keep a clean house, hoovering and dusting etc every week, and wiping down paintwork on a regular rota.

My own two cats only tolerate each other, Bruno can be unpleasant to Tigger when he feels like it, and Tigger has been known to spray just occasionally when really upset.

Most of the day if the weather is fine, as it is now, they are out in the garden, and Bruno opts to stay out at night.
I do wonder if Bruno's long fur gets abit weed on by accident (stained trousers!)
He's due for his booster injection, but the vet is "running behind" due to the virus and doing urgent cases first.
I did wonder if Bruno needed his kidneys checked via a blood test.

I just can't work out who is doing what! Or where!

ANY suggestions would be much appreciated.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
20200803_230547.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality but you get the idea. Ted - quite huge now and his mum who is now called Mum Bum. Mum Bum has been running off for days and scaring Ted but she seems to have gotten over it.

She's called Mum Bum as she is a mum and she's got a bum.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I am deeply saddened to report the death of my beloved ginger boy, Oscar, on Wednesday at my local veterinary clinic. He was fifteen years and eight months old. Oscar was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease in December and since then I had been taking him to the clinic every week for injections. His condition remained stable until last week when he had a seizure and lost his appetite, so I took him to the clinic to be hospitalised. On Tuesday I spent several hours with him and it was clear that his condition had deteriorated even further. On Wednesday the vet phoned to tell me Oscar had experienced another seizure and that his kidneys no longer appeared to be functioning. I went to the clinic straight away and was with him for about an hour before he died naturally. He seemed to go very peacefully: he just emitted a squawk and stopped breathing. I'm thankful I was able to be with him at the end.
When I registered for FTMB a few years ago, Oscar was sitting on my lap (which he did regularly) and provided the inspiration for my user name. Caroline, my remaining cat, and I are lost without him. Our world is a much sadder place without the presence of this loud, gregarious, adorable, affectionate ginger tabby. Below is a photo I took of him on Tuesday while he was napping:
View attachment 2528
Oscar (2000-2016). Memory eternal!
I've been just going back through this thread and I'm sorry about Oscar - I think it was around the time the Old fella went mental and had to be put to sleep. They are gone but rarely forgotten in their ways.

I

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
View attachment 28588

Apologies for the picture quality but you get the idea. Ted - quite huge now and his mum who is now called Mum Bum. Mum Bum has been running off for days and scaring Ted but she seems to have gotten over it.

She's called Mum Bum as she is a mum and she's got a bum.
I think that black and white leg is hers and not anything paranormal

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

I have two neutered male cats -the older one (Tigger) is 15 and on expensive thyroid medication. The younger one -VERY big with long hair (Bruno) is about 10 and, as far as I know, OK healthwise.

There are also two neighbouring cats who try to pop in whenever they see a door open, but they too are neutered.

I' m retired ,so I keep a clean house, hoovering and dusting etc every week, and wiping down paintwork on a regular rota.

My own two cats only tolerate each other, Bruno can be unpleasant to Tigger when he feels like it, and Tigger has been known to spray just occasionally when really upset.

Most of the day if the weather is fine, as it is now, they are out in the garden, and Bruno opts to stay out at night.
I do wonder if Bruno's long fur gets abit weed on by accident (stained trousers!)
He's due for his booster injection, but the vet is "running behind" due to the virus and doing urgent cases first.

I had that problem once a very long time ago and I don't remember how I handled it. I did look up on google and found this link.

It's a 12 step program. lol I hope it helps.

https://www.wikihow.pet/Prevent-a-Cat-from-Spraying

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

We have something similar going on with Prisels - She is ancient, has kidney disease and pees in places.

You've also got two possible things going on.

Spraying - that's territory marking or peeing due to Kidney issues.

If it's spraying you need to find out where the smell is. It will likely be a place in the house where both cats have to move through.

White vinegar and water in a spray bottle will neutralize the smell of cat pee and other kitty smells.

You can make a better concoction with a mix of white vinegar, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide. Basically half a glass of water, a glug of vinegar and teaspoon of BS, and half a teaspoon of HP. Test on fabrics though - this is better than anything you will buy commercially.

Kidney break-down usually results in cats peeing a lot but the pee is often very diluted. Just make sure you are on to it. If you find a place that your cat is peeing in then puppy pads are an option too.

Have a look around and update us.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I've been just going back through this thread and I'm sorry about Oscar - I think it was around the time the Old fella went mental and had to be put to sleep. They are gone but rarely forgotten in their ways.

I
I appreciate your sympathy, NF. I still miss my ginger boy. Male tabbies fall into a category of their own, in my opinion. I've lived with two and have known several others. They all seem to be loud and demanding but also adorable and affectionate at the same time. Caroline is a grey tabby/tortoise shell mix but her personality is quite different from that of the striped boys. She can be very sweet but also fiercely independent.

I have a question about feline dementia. You mentioned that the Old Fella went mental: what were the early symptoms of this decline and how much time elapsed between the onset of these symptoms and his death? (OK, that's two questions, but anyway....). I ask this because a good friend of mine recently mentioned that her fourteen-year-old cat Polo has begun to whine and cry at times for no apparent reason. My friend has read that this behaviour can be a symptom of feline dementia but she's going to take him to the vet later this month and will ask about it. I suppose Polo's behaviour might be connected to the current pandemic. My friend was furloughed for a while but is now back at work a few days a week. She thinks Polo may have been upset by the change in routine. Just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I appreciate your sympathy, NF. I still miss my ginger boy. Male tabbies fall into a category of their own, in my opinion. I've lived with two and have known several others. They all seem to be loud and demanding but also adorable and affectionate at the same time. Caroline is a grey tabby/tortoise shell mix but her personality is quite different from that of the striped boys. She can be very sweet but also fiercely independent.

I have a question about feline dementia. You mentioned that the Old Fella went mental: what were the early symptoms of this decline and how much time elapsed between the onset of these symptoms and his death? (OK, that's two questions, but anyway....). I ask this because a good friend of mine recently mentioned that her fourteen-year-old cat Polo has begun to whine and cry at times for no apparent reason. My friend has read that this behaviour can be a symptom of feline dementia but she's going to take him to the vet later this month and will ask about it. I suppose Polo's behaviour might be connected to the current pandemic. My friend was furloughed for a while but is now back at work a few days a week. She thinks Polo may have been upset by the change in routine. Just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.
good question. I'll talk to my wife about it and get back to you. Mum Bum certainly got freaked out by my wife going back to work and she's only about 3.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Id tell your friend to give it a couple of weeks. Cats adapt quickly so you'll know if its stress or not due to your friend going back to work.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Cats do get more vocal when they get older, apparently it is a sign of gradual mental decline but not necessarily dementia as such. From what I can gather it's more to do with a lack of confidence as they are not the agile perfect predators that they used to be, so they vocalise more to get attention from the people that are looking out for them.

Our almost 15 year old Dex has turned into a right soppy lump compared to the aloof mass murderer he used to be.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Good news regarding my smelly house!

I suddenly realised that the leather sandals I wear a lot of the time, indoors and out, were mainly responsible for the smell.
I must have either stepped in cat wee, or they may even have been sprayed by some feline vilain when I wasn't wearing them.
(I occasionally leave them outside the front door, if I've changed into gardening shoes.)

I am going to risk putting them in the washing machine. :)

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Cats do get more vocal when they get older, apparently it is a sign of gradual mental decline but not necessarily dementia as such. From what I can gather it's more to do with a lack of confidence as they are not the agile perfect predators that they used to be, so they vocalise more to get attention from the people that are looking out for them.

Our almost 15 year old Dex has turned into a right soppy lump compared to the aloof mass murderer he used to be.
Thank you NF and Carlos for your input. I'll pass this information on to my friend. It hadn't occurred to me that diminishing levels of confidence might be a factor but that makes sense.