Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ok, can anyone answer me this;

Blackie was on my lap for the last post, hence the brevity, doing his normal stomp n purr n twirl around.

(Doesnt sit still, at least not on laps)

He is black, and his nose and lips and pads are black.

Theres a patch where a tuft of hair was removed by a rival...his skin is charcoal.

But ONE part of him is pink

Why?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This new book provides a review of cats' places in history, peppered with feline fun facts and illustrated with the author's cat Baba in cosplay mode.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of the photos would strike folks as possible avatars ... :thought:

A HISTORY OF FELINES, AS NARRATED AND ILLUSTRATED BY A CAT

Writer and photographer Paul Koudounaris' new book, A Cat's Tale, finds his pet kitty, Baba, channeling famous and little-known felines from history. ...

FULL ARTICLE:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/history-felines-narrated-and-illustrated-cat-180976368/

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's bewildering how much space a cat can take up. I sleep in a small quadrant of my bed, hemmed in by a cat that barely makes it past my ankles. I have recently bought a new, very bouncy, duvet and Archie thinks it needs to be brought under control by scrabbling around on it throughout the night. He's fallen off a fair few times, which makes me laugh like mad. But then he's back, with determination of an invading army, "you shall never occupy the middle of this bed, mere human!"

He also changes his pace weight depending upon whether he thinks it's time to get up (stomping) or if it'sleepy time (cautious pottering) or adventure time (demented mania against the existence of human feet: this is when he tends to fall off). If I'm being particulary stubborn about getting up, he goes with fighting my hair and snuiffling his Whiskas breath into my face.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Yesterday I was sorting out some bits and found a receipt, which I crumpled up to lob in the bin. Across the room was my beloved Bagpuss the ancient deaf cat.

I thought 'I bet I could hit Bagpuss on the head with this receipt! Nah, I'm a crap aim' and launched the receipt vaguely towards the bin.

It bounced off Bagpuss's bonce and across the floor. o_O

She hardly flinched. I nonetheless compensated her generously with sliced chicken.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I thought 'I bet I could hit Bagpuss on the head with this receipt! Nah, I'm a crap aim' and launched the receipt vaguely towards the bin.

It bounced off Bagpuss's bonce and across the floor. o_O
No truer words, eh Scargy? :points::hapdan:

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For the first time in about 10 years, I've only got my own two cats using my garden and needing to be fed, so I've had a cat flap installed in the front door.

Any advice on how to get them to use it? :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
For the first time in about 10 years, I've only got my own two cats using my garden and needing to be fed, so I've had a cat flap installed in the front door.

Any advice on how to get them to use it? :)
Leave a trail of cat munchies?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Any advice on how to get them to use it?
I've owned loads of cats but have only ever had to teach one to use the flap. They learn from each other.

My method was to first wait until feeding time. I then put some delicious food inside the house, just behind the flap, then carried the cat outside, closed the door, opened the flap and lifted up the cat to show it the food.

I demonstrated the flap a couple of times while holding the cat and might even have shoved Tiddles through it, can't remember. It only took one demonstration to one cat though, as after that they could all do it.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I still prefer made up stories about stripes and spots.

How cats get their stripes
By Elizabeth PennisiDec. 2, 2020 , 1:45 PM

When Rudyard Kipling told how the leopard got his spots, he missed the mark. Leopards have “rosettes”; spots are for cheetahs, says Gregory Barsh, a geneticist at the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology. But whatever you call the markings, how wild cats and their domestic counterparts acquire them has long been a mystery. Now, Barsh and his colleagues have found an answer. In so doing, they have shown that a 70-year-old theory explaining patterns in nature holds true for fur color in cats, and likely other mammals as well.

“This is an important paper unveiling part of the genetic basis [of ] coat color markings so prominent in many mammals,” says Denis Headon, a developmental biologist at the Roslin Institute. It also offers a glimpse of how those genes operate during development, forming what he calls a “highly adaptable mechanism” that responds to genetic tweaks to produce diverse coat patterns, from stripes to spots.

Biologists have identified hair follicle cells as the source of the black, brown, yellow, and red pigments that color hair or fur. “But we didn’t know when and where the process of the establishment of the color pattern took place,” Barsh says. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/how-cats-get-their-stripes

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Actually it's a 'small dog' sized cat flap because one of my cats is a big boy!
How big? I have a 20 pounder and can imagine that if I put in a cat flap, it would have to be small dog sized. But I won't b/c they would only stand with the flap half open trying to decide if they want to go out.:rolleyes:

I think cats are the masters of indecision.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bruno (Bruno the Bad!) is 7 or 8 kilos. The vet says he needs to lose weight, but Bruno doesn't agree!
He is using the cat flap to come back in, but not yet to go out. He gets through it perfectly OK.

The other cat, Tigger, is a small, timid, and nervous. I'm hoping he will eventually pluck up courage to copy Bruno.
Tigger has used it it couple of times to go out, if I hold it open for him. I'm their much loved slave!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
How big? I have a 20 pounder and can imagine that if I put in a cat flap, it would have to be small dog sized. But I won't b/c they would only stand with the flap half open trying to decide if they want to go out.:rolleyes:

I think cats are the masters of indecision.
Nah, cats never do that. They LOVE using cat flaps and they charge in and out like missiles.

The only time ours have the flap half-open is when they stick their heads to to nose at the birdies.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Bruno (Bruno the Bad!) is 7 or 8 kilos. The vet says he needs to lose weight, but Bruno doesn't agree!
My cat needs to lose weight as well, but I have two normal weight cats also. As I said to my vet how do I get two 10 lb cats and one 20 lb when I only feed them enough for three 10 lb cats? He said " you measure their food?" Yep cuz I buy the expensive vet pet food. My one cat almost died of crystals when he was young.
And just exactly how do you put one cat on a diet when there are two others to feed? This question, he agreed was a good one. Lol

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My cat needs to lose weight as well, but I have two normal weight cats also. As I said to my vet how do I get two 10 lb cats and one 20 lb when I only feed them enough for three 10 lb cats? He said " you measure their food?" Yep cuz I buy the expensive vet pet food. My one cat almost died of crystals when he was young.
And just exactly how do you put one cat on a diet when there are two others to feed? This question, he agreed was a good one. Lol
The overweight cat must be eating somewhere else in addition to eating at home. We had a neighbor who did that all the time. She meant well and some of the cats probably depended on her feeding them but ours did not.