Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well, the dead bird turned up. I still don't know where they hid it. When I went to the bathroom first thing this morning Odin was playing with it in there, the other two waiting their turns/opportunity to take it away from him. I know it wasn't in there before because that's where the plumbing disaster was and I had to clear everything out and get in all the corners to roust out all the wet cat litter.

At least, I hope it was the same bird!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Inside the Lives of Cats: What Your Cat's Behavior is Trying to Communicate

There are many odd things that cats do that only cat owners will understand. Being on the receiving end of a lifeless mouse or frequently having your drink knocked off the table, for example, is all part of the experience.

There is still a lot that experts don't know about cats but we know enough to know that certain behaviors mean your cat is comfortable or that there is something wrong.

https://everydaymonkey.com/inside-the-lives-of-cats-what-your-nh/16/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Catastrophe avoided.

A missing cat has been rescued through a hole in a bedroom wall after getting stuck half-way down a chimney.

The mischievous moggy, called Fluffy, fell down the flue after climbing on to the roof of a house in New Ferry, Wirral on Sunday. Firefighters could not see the cat from either end of the chimney so decided to knock a brick out of a wall inside the property. Fluffy's owner completed the dramatic rescue by enticing him out of the hole.

The adventurous feline had been missing for five days before he was spotted on the roof of the house in Grove Square.
But when a neighbour used a ladder to try to rescue him from the roof, Fluffy fell down the chimney, said an RSPCA inspector.

Cat climbing out of wall
IMAGE COPYRIGHTRSPCA
image captionSaved by a whisker: The cheeky cat was enticed out by his owner
1px transparent line

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56252999

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
How loyal are cats?

Cats don't avoid strangers who behave badly toward their owners, unlike dogs

There's an old stereotype about the difference between cats and dogs. Dogs are loving and fiercely loyal, they say, while cats are aloof and indifferent. Most cat people probably disagree—I certainly find it hard to believe, with my cat purring away in my lap, that she doesn't care about me.
Overall, cat cognition research suggests cats do form emotional bonds with their humans. Cats seem to experience separation anxiety, are more responsive to their owners' voices than to strangers' and look for reassurance from their owners in scary situations.

But a new study, by researchers in Japan, complicates the picture of our relationship with cats. Adapting a method previously used to study dogs, the researchers found cats—unlike dogs—don't avoid strangers who refuse to help their owners.

In the experiment, a cat watched as her owner tried to open a box to get at something inside. Two strangers sat on either side of the owner and the owner turned to one of them and asked for help. In "helper" trials, the stranger helped the owner to open the box. In "non-helper" trials, the stranger refused. The other stranger sat passively, doing nothing. ...

https://sciencex.com/news/2021-03-cats-dont-strangers-badly-owners.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
How loyal are cats?

Cats don't avoid strangers who behave badly toward their owners, unlike dogs

There's an old stereotype about the difference between cats and dogs. Dogs are loving and fiercely loyal, they say, while cats are aloof and indifferent. Most cat people probably disagree—I certainly find it hard to believe, with my cat purring away in my lap, that she doesn't care about me.
Overall, cat cognition research suggests cats do form emotional bonds with their humans. Cats seem to experience separation anxiety, are more responsive to their owners' voices than to strangers' and look for reassurance from their owners in scary situations.

But a new study, by researchers in Japan, complicates the picture of our relationship with cats. Adapting a method previously used to study dogs, the researchers found cats—unlike dogs—don't avoid strangers who refuse to help their owners.

In the experiment, a cat watched as her owner tried to open a box to get at something inside. Two strangers sat on either side of the owner and the owner turned to one of them and asked for help. In "helper" trials, the stranger helped the owner to open the box. In "non-helper" trials, the stranger refused. The other stranger sat passively, doing nothing. ...

https://sciencex.com/news/2021-03-cats-dont-strangers-badly-owners.html
We had a cat that'd defend my kids and their friends if I pretended to shout at them, or if I jokingly swung a baseball bat at them.
She'd get between the kids and me and meow loudly at me. If the kids were quarrelling she'd come and 'fetch' me to sort them out.
Ace cat.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thai navy rescue four cats from burning ship

Thai navy sailors have rescued four ginger cats that were abandoned on a burning ship in the Andaman Sea.

The human crew had already been evacuated, but the navy soon discovered a few forgotten members when they were sent to check the site for oil spills.

A sailor swam out to the capsized boat, before putting the cats on his back to take them to safety.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56275563

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cat on a train roof holds it up. The Euston to Manchester train – which would reach speeds of 125mph – was delayed by a cat on its roof, just inches from 25,000v cables. The cat survives, of course, but may have used up a life or two...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...in-roof-holds-up-london-to-manchester-service
Railway mates sent me snaps of that while the train was still held up. They don't know how it got up there as the cleaning/supplies trolleys don't reach anywhere near the carriage roof and there are no other tall structures nearby because of the danger from the overhead cabling.

The orange line you can see is not ornamental. It is the cant rail stripe which indicates the highest point it is safe to reach before the overhead cables electrocute you.
You can't even lean a ladder against a train if it's long enough to touch the stripe, or if it would raise your head level with it.

So as Tiddles was sitting well above the stripe there'd be no climbing up with a can of sardines to tempt him down. o_O

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Railway mates sent me snaps of that while the train was still held up. They don't know how it got up there as the cleaning/supplies trolleys don't reach anywhere near the carriage roof and there are no other tall structures nearby because of the danger from the overhead cabling.
I was wondering that. It seems inconceivable/impossible that it climbed up one of the sides of the train, and a leap from the buffers to the curved front seems equally unlikely. I know cats can climb vertical walls and fences but they offer much more grip than the metal sides of a train, and the height of the train would also make that incredibly unlikely. And if you use Sherlock Holmes's maxim about ruling out the impossible, then the cat could have been placed on the roof by a person, or jumped down from the concrete and steel structure above – though looking at pictures that seems quite a leap.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Could it have got there by jumping down off of a tree while the train was going slow?

I am not that experienced with railways, but I know that trains in urban areas have speed limits, and may stop at stations or just for (seemingly to the passengers) no reason at all.

Still, a very lucky cat. Where is its owners?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Could it have got there by jumping down off of a tree while the train was going slow?

I am not that experienced with railways, but I know that trains in urban areas have speed limits, and may stop at stations or just for (seemingly to the passengers) no reason at all.

This was at Euston Station. That's an express service. It only calls at a couple of major stations and its last stop would have been Milton Keynes, nearly 50 miles away.
It would reach high speeds all the way to the Euston approach just outside the station. There are no trees there!

The OHC (overhead cabling) is still live when the train is in the station but the pantograph that connects the train to the OHC lowers when it stops. So it's still dangerous to reach above the stripe even to chuck a cat up there.

Euston is about the most highly-secure location in the country. I reckon the station CCTV has the answer. ;)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

l-intro-1605218246.jpg

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know how tall the train is, but I used to have a cat who could do a standing high jump from the floor to the top of the refrigerator. Just - hop! And he was up. This was the same cat who could balance on top of a door. Never underestimate the power of a cat to get someplace that looks inaccessible to you!

The study about cats not snubbing those who didn't help their owners doesn't sound reasonable from the cat's point of view. No actual harm is done to the human and the task is not one of interest to the cat; what makes the designers of the study think they understand how the situation looks to the cat. A more reasonable test would involve an interaction a cat registered as actively hostile, but which did not involve loud noises (as loud noises trigger a flight reaction in many, if not most, domestic cats). Since so much of cat play involves moves that are also used in fighting, designing the interaction would be particularly challenging.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is quite lovely...

The Man Who Saves Forgotten Cats in Fukushima's Nuclear Zone

fukushimacats.png

A decade ago, Sakae Kato stayed behind to rescue cats abandoned by neighbours who fled the radiation clouds belching from the nearby Fukushima nuclear plant. He won't leave.

"I want to make sure I am here to take care of the last one," he said from his home in the contaminated quarantine zone. "After that I want to die, whether that be a day or hour later."

So far he has buried 23 cats in his garden, the most recent graves disturbed by wild boars that roam the depopulated community. He is looking after 41 others in his home and another empty building on his property.

Kato leaves food for feral cats in a storage shed he heats with a paraffin stove. He has also rescued a dog, Pochi. With no running water, he has to fill bottles from a nearby mountain spring, and drive to public toilets.
https://widerimage.reuters.com/story/the-man-who-saves-forgotten-cats-in-fukushimas-nuclear-zone

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Its a heartening article; where does he get the money from?
Yeah I was wondering how he got by. He seems to have given up work as a fairly youngish middle aged man.Maybe people donate.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering how he got by. He seems to have given up work as a fairly youngish middle aged man.Maybe people donate.
Or the stores in Fukishima are still stocked with pet food as it was abandoned in haste its possible.