michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
UHbYgla.gif

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
After a long paws the cat is back.

A cat that went missing 13 years ago has been found and reunited with her owner.

Gemma Barbieri from Thetford, Norfolk, said she was "stunned" when she received a call saying 14-year-old Rose had been found. The pet was an eighth birthday present for Ms Barbieri's daughter Alicia but went missing in 2008. She was reported as a stray in the King's Lynn area this year and taken in by a cat charity.

Mr Barbieri said she "couldn't believe it" when Cats Protection's Downham Market Adoption Centre rang.

"I just blurted out 'have you found Rose?'," she said. "They said a black cat brought in as a stray had been scanned and the microchip showed that she was missing. It was Rose. I was so stunned, I was shaking."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-56941901

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
"I have deprived you of my company during my kittenish and active years. Now I'm doddery and leaking, you can take care of the bills!"

"Listen, pussy-cat: you are getting just the one trip to the vet! Understand me?"

"Sssssss!" :cat:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of our two 'helping' us with a lovely 600-piece wooden jigsaw puzzle - before it goes to eBay. (The puzzle, not the cat...!)

Attachments

• IMG_3020 copy.jpg
    IMG_3020 copy.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3022 copy.jpg
    IMG_3022 copy.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3023 copy.jpg
    IMG_3023 copy.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 7

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of our two 'helping' us with a lovely 600-piece wooden jigsaw puzzle - before it goes to eBay. (The puzzle, not the cat...!)

At least he's just being very cute and saying, give me attention. Mine used to sneak up and steal the pieces when they thought I wasn't looking. At night I would cover it with a tablecloth but they would still go under there and steal pieces.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Fantastical Felines.

Look, it’s been a week, and I’m mentally exhausted, so how about we just talk about some SFF books that have cats in them? Because I love cats, and cats are good. Even when they’re bad.

Speaking of cats, the SFF blog File 770 has an entire tag that’s nothing but sleepy cats in proximity to SFF novels.

KAFKA ON THE SHORE BY HARUKI MURAKAMI
I don’t think I get to expound on my love for Haruki Murakami often enough in this space, since he’s often borderline as far as actually being SFF. There’s six cats in this book, and half the chapters are the story of a young man who can communicate with cats after being rendered unconscious as a child by a mysterious flash of light. So as an adult, he just finds lost cats.

WYRD SISTERS BY TERRY PRATCHETT
This is our first introduction to Greebo, who is most definitely the Best Worst Cat of all time. Greebo is to all appearances a foul-tempered, evil, one-eyed old tom cat, but Granny Weatherwax knows the truth: he is in fact a Good. A Very Good, really. Greebo is a recurring character in the Discworld series. As he should be.

CHILLING EFFECT BY VALERIE VALDES
Captain Eva Innocente has to do a lot of really dangerous and unpleasant things to try to pay the ransom for her sister after she gets kidnapped by the shadowy syndicate known as the Fridge. One of these things involves a shipment of psychic cats. This goes just about as well as you think.

SPACE OPERA BY CATHERYNNE M. VALENTE
Features a cat along for the ride when two musicians get sort of but not really abducted by space aliens so they can play in a music contest in an attempt to save the world. The cat, notably, would happily give up India to the aliens to save its own skin, which is notably why we don’t give cats those kind of options.

https://bookriot.com/cats-in-science-fiction-fantasy-novels/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Be careful about leaving your cat out in the sun.

Cat owners are being warned to keep their cats indoors and apply sunscreen during the hottest days of the summer after a cat had her ears amputated.

Cats Protection in the UK has issued advice to owners, warning them of the dangers of letting cats lounge about in the sun. One cat that passed through the charity’s care had to have the tips of her ears removed due to sun damage.

Smurf from Belfast was picked up from the streets last autumn. Believed to have been in a car crash, she was rushed to a vet who removed her right eye and ear tips, which had been badly sun-damaged, before she was eventually rehomed.

Smurf’s owner, Kate Large, told the PA news agency: “She wasn’t in Lisbon or Madrid. She was outside in Northern Ireland for less than a year, with the amount of sun we get in Ireland and this was the damage it caused.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40280174.html

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Cat owners are being warned to keep their cats indoors and apply sunscreen during the hottest days of the summer after a cat had her ears amputated.

Cats Protection in the UK has issued advice to owners, warning them of the dangers of letting cats lounge about in the sun. One cat that passed through the charity’s care had to have the tips of her ears removed due to sun damage.

Smurf from Belfast was picked up from the streets last autumn. Believed to have been in a car crash, she was rushed to a vet who removed her right eye and ear tips, which had been badly sun-damaged, before she was eventually rehomed.

Smurf’s owner, Kate Large, told the PA news agency: “She wasn’t in Lisbon or Madrid. She was outside in Northern Ireland for less than a year, with the amount of sun we get in Ireland and this was the damage it caused.”

Years ago one of our cats had most of his nose cut off for the same reason - he lived until he was 20 or 21, the last few years with his cutback nose, which caused him no issues though his nostrils were now little curls instead of being round.

On the day of the op I phoned my brother to say, 'our cat has no nose!' (I really did.)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
She

She is so pretty. Noooo I don't need another cat. That is how they suck you in.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Cats are known for liking to sit or lie in enclosed areas or spaces. They'll even display a preference for sitting within (e.g.) a 2D area boundary. A simple experiment indicates they are also inclined to park themselves within demarcated spaces that are no more than illusions.
Groundbreaking Cat Science Shows They Love to Sit in Illusory Boxes, Too

Any cat lover is familiar with their quirks, such as seemingly endless joy at knocking things off tables, and an innate fondness for sitting in enclosed spaces. The latter can apply even if that space is just a two-dimensional outline of a square on the floor. ...

In a delightful citizen science study performed during the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers used cats' urge to sit in enclosed spaces to test how their little minds perceive a visual illusion. The study was affectionately labelled... wait for it... "If I fits, I sits".

The illusion at hand was the Kanizsa square: four pacman-like shapes orientated to look like they're forming four corners of a square, inducing the viewer to perceive a square that isn't actually there. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/cats-d...ey-ll-choose-to-sit-in-illusions-of-boxes-too

Last edited:

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Archie is resting in his little cave, and I am frankly envious. It, and he in it, looks so cosy. It's next to a radiator, and it couldn't be more attractive. Black cave with a bright cusion and little ball on a thread. The fact we've had it for five years, and this is the first day he's used it is by the by