Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Finally worked out how our latest guest ( "rescued" from a neighbour) suddenly gets spotted in her bed when she should be outside. She jumps up to the cill next to the back door handle, uses her body weight to press down on the handle to release the catch and then prises open the door with her long sharp claws. Cheeky little beggar.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
facebook_1620682094933_6797633393507926550.jpg

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Finally worked out how our latest guest ( "rescued" from a neighbour) suddenly gets spotted in her bed when she should be outside. She jumps up to the cill next to the back door handle, uses her body weight to press down on the handle to release the catch and then prises open the door with her long sharp claws. Cheeky little beggar.
Whilst the above seems to make her out as quite clever, I've just watched her try to scrape the bare floorboards up to cover up her half eaten breakfast, as she does at each meal. Dumb as a very dumb thing.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Feral Felines Fight Rats.

Chicago's Tree House Humane Society has deployed 1,000 feral cats onto the city streets to fight the city's rat infestation.

Tree House began the annual "Cats at Work" program a decade ago as an alternative to the use of rat poison that can harm other wildlife. From WGN9:

[Tree House spokesperson Sarah] Liss said the cats generally do not eat a lot of rats, although the cats will kill some rats in the beginning when they arrive in a new location.
After they get acquainted to the space though, much less effort is required on the cat's behalf.
"They are actually deterring them with their pheromones. That's enough to keep the rats away," Liss said.

https://boingboing.net/2021/05/12/c...s-huge-army-of-feral-cats-to-take-on-the-rats

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Feral Felines Fight Rats.

Chicago's Tree House Humane Society has deployed 1,000 feral cats onto the city streets to fight the city's rat infestation.

Tree House began the annual "Cats at Work" program a decade ago as an alternative to the use of rat poison that can harm other wildlife. From WGN9:

https://boingboing.net/2021/05/12/c...s-huge-army-of-feral-cats-to-take-on-the-rats
Hmm..

the cats generally do not eat a lot of rats, although the cats will kill some rats in the beginning when they arrive in a new location.

1000 feral cats will also kill a lot of birds - I wonder if good ratter dogs might be better. Release the JRTs etc..

Nosmo King

(Formerly Souleater)
Reaction score
Hmm..

1000 feral cats will also kill a lot of birds - I wonder if good ratter dogs might be better. Release the JRTs etc..
Then tje cows followed by the horses, and we all know how that ended for the old woman, maybe everything will be ok and they'll be adopted by a crazy cat lady

2694b28288db1318561ca1ae2ed7fa3d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
You cat may be working against you.
Another exposé from the New Yorker:

"They say that, if left alone with your dead body, your cat will eat you. I know mine would. Not because he’s heartless but because cats are practical, and if I don’t appear up to the task of feeding him he’ll simply fend for himself. If this comes as a surprise to you, please allow me to fill you in on some other cat behaviors that, though not as gruesome, are still quite disturbing. . . . "
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/an-introduction-to-asshole-cat-behaviors

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Both my cats have taken to sitting/lying in the 'insurance position' on the stairs.

One refused to move for me today so shoved her with my foot and she hissed at me!

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I like the way id does the flying squirrel glide, must slow down the landing,
but how did it learn that.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A cuckoo, I mean cat in the nest.

A cat has been found living in an old bird's nest in a tree to raise her own three kittens.

The Cats Protection charity said the family in Amersham, Buckinghamshire, was also being watched over by a tomcat, which was "very unusual".

The cats now have bird-inspired names and have gone to a fosterer. The clan was discovered after a week of searching by charity volunteer Ruth Goller, who said she was "so glad to have found them".

The mother, named Oriole, the male called Willet and kittens Bran, Jay and Lori were discovered after rescuers were alerted to cats living on an industrial estate.

Kittens in a bird's nest
IMAGE COPYRIGHT CATS PROTECTION/PA image caption The litter of kittens (pictured) and their mother were being watched over by a doting tomcat

Ms Goller, from Cats Protection's Chiltern branch, said the charity spent a week searching gardens, leafleting and setting up cameras to try to trace the family after a new-born kitten was found dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57156565

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Aww poor cats, they must have been shit scared :(

The cats were fine, I suspect this went viral yesterday because Dr Hannah Fry was talking about it on BBC 6Music in the morning. What the cats didn't like was being dropped in a separate experiment to see why they landed on their feet. They wore expressions of offended dignity afterwards.