Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Came across some long forgotten old photos of my beloved and dearly missed, 'Cassie' - a Devon Rex crossbreed.

This is the pose, 'when are you going to sit down, because I need a lap to sleep on'.

PC290009.JPG

This would be, 'tinsel and Christmas decorations fell down by themselves'.

P1010051.JPG

And lastly, why cats love Christmas - lots of boxes!

I think this was the new football strip bought for my then young son's Christmas.

He hadn't even taken it out the box yet! :)

Screenshot_20210602-202848.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A UK woman contracted cowpox from her cat. Her infection was localized in her eye, and could have cost her her vision.
Woman gets rare cowpox infection from her pet cat

The infection, in her right eye, threatened to take her vision.

A U.K. woman developed a severe eye infection thanks to a rare virus — cowpox, a cousin of smallpox, which she contracted from her pet cat.

The 28-year-old woman went to the emergency room after she experienced eye irritation, along with redness and discharge in her right eye, which had lasted for five days, according to the report, published June 5 in The New England Journal of Medicine. She received a slew of antibiotics and antiviral drugs used to treat common eye infections, but nothing seemed to work. Her symptoms were getting worse — she had developed orbital cellulitis, or an infection of the fat and muscles around the eye; and this infection was causing the tissue in her eye to necrotize, or die. Her doctors worried she would lose her vision. ...

A clue to the patient's illness came from her pet cat. The patient reported that two weeks earlier, her cat had developed lesions on its paws and head, the report said.

Samples from the cat's lesions and the woman's eye both tested positive for orthopoxvirus — the family of viruses that includes the smallpox virus (variola virus), cowpox virus and monkeypox virus. Further genetic sequencing of the woman's sample confirmed she was infected with cowpox. ...

The patient received a prolonged course of tecovirimat and required surgery to remove dead tissue from around her eye, the report said. The treatment worked to clear her infection. Six months later, the patient had 20/20 vision in her right eye, although she had some dropping of the upper eyelid, and had some trouble with eye movements, the report said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/cowpox-eye-infection-cat.html

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A UK woman contracted cowpox from her cat. Her infection was localized in her eye, and could have cost her her vision.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/cowpox-eye-infection-cat.html
Interesting, it was a tendency for people who worked with cows to be immune to smallpox that started the thinking around vaccines. Now if we were still vaccinating for smallpox she might have been safe. I never heard of a cat getting cowpox befote.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Interesting, it was a tendency for people who worked with cows to be immune to smallpox that started the thinking around vaccines. Now if we were still vaccinating for smallpox she might have been safe. I never heard of a cat getting cowpox befote.
Indeed, the word vaccine comes from the latin for cow.
" late 18th century: from Latin vaccinus, from vacca ‘cow’ (because of the early use of the cowpox virus against smallpox)"

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Ernie (photo attached) is one of two feline overseers of some family members of mine. Recently, several clumps of matted hair on his rear end prompted one of Ernie's staff to shave and wash the affected area. Instead of expressing gratitude for the grooming he received, Ernie, in typical cat fashion, glared at his humans for the rest of the day. This photo was taken not long after his salon treatment:

Attachments

• Ernie (June 2021) - smaller version.jpeg
    Ernie (June 2021) - smaller version.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 5

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It was cold and wet the other night and we could hear cats singing and wondered if it was mating season.
Next morning I found lots of tufts of grey and white fur and a cat's collar with a bell on it. Things must have got a bit rough.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Ernie (photo attached) is one of two feline overseers of some family members of mine. Recently, several clumps of matted hair on his rear end prompted one of Ernie's staff to shave and wash the affected area. Instead of expressing gratitude for the grooming he received, Ernie, in typical cat fashion, glared at his humans for the rest of the day. This photo was taken not long after his salon treatment:
Ah - looks exactly like a cat we had for a short time. The most gorgeous affectionate cat you could wish to have. Ms Petes used to take her to the care home where she worked and Pasha used to visit every residents room in turn. Sadly we only had her for a short few months before she suddenly had a massive blood clot and became paralysed and had to be put down. Everyone was devastated.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Ah - looks exactly like a cat we had for a short time. The most gorgeous affectionate cat you could wish to have. Ms Petes used to take her to the care home where she worked and Pasha used to visit every residents room in turn. Sadly we only had her for a short few months before she suddenly had a massive blood clot and became paralysed and had to be put down. Everyone was devastated.

How awful! Our animals become family members and their passing is always difficult.

Tuxedo cats are marvellous. My first cat was black-and-white, as is one of my current cats.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Cat not really that annoyed that the owner is playing the piano while it's trying to sleep in it.

There are dozens of these videos on Youtube. What bone-idle Bagpusses they are!

"Furry Knees," is a fairly gentle piece, though the pianist takes some liberties towards the end.

Boogie-Woogie is stronger stuff.

" . . . so the cat got up and slowly walked away!" Eventually! One of them. :)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
You can tell someone who boozes?

You may have explained how he gets them to flop down like that*. When they - occasionally - stagger off, it's to get their next fix! :oops:

*My earlier guess was Super-glue!

Edit: In just a few of his videos, you can see how much shedding these pussies do on his instrument. A fair amount of it must work its way down between the keys . . .

Last edited:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cats V Shoji.

How do the Japanese manage? They are very fond of the paper wrecking horrors.

(The best scene in Genji monogatari is the Prince, his friend has a cat. He has not a cat. So he borrows puss for the weekend; feeding her salmon and cream. When returned to her original owner she defects to the fancy feeding guy.)

(There is a big moral there).

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing that. lol

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Abandoned at 17 - new beginning for an elderly cat​

she didn't really seem to be making any progress, at least not towards humans, and imagining her dying angry, confused and among people she hated was just too sad. But she wanted more from life, and she got it. She was too old, and too fragile to be put for adoption, so after a few months at the cattery, she moved in with Marianna, Karie's sister, and spent the rest of her life there. It took her six months to surrender, but once she did, she never took a step backwards. Cinnamon (Canela) was rescued in Athens, Greece by SCARS

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Yup, historically milkmaids were famously beautiful. It wasn't just the fresh air and free buttermilk; they had radiant complexions, unmarked by smallpox. :)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Prisels has been put to sleep.

her breathing went very strange and she just couldn't get her breath anymore. Me and my wife spent months looking after her and she was a big, (skinny), purry thing right to the end.

I came home from work and she was struggling.

Old Stormy is the only one left of that era. Jonah, Inca, Mally and now Prisels are all gone and buried.

Pris and Mally were so wild the person who had been running the cat sanctuary said "they will be impossible to tame" was wrong.

They both had a very safe and cuddly life and were very lovely, odd, old cats,

Last edited: