Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I took Annabelle, my four-and-a-half year old tuxedo cat, to the vet this afternoon for her annual checkup and vaccinations. She received a clean bill of health. The vet said her heart sounds better than his own. Annabelle wasn't thrilled about making the trip but she seemed to enjoy sniffing around the examination room while we waited for the vet. She is currently lounging on the loveseat.

SleepyPanda

I was messing about at Mornington Cemetery
Reaction score
Tv4Maoq.jpeg

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Opened up a box of hobby stuff at the weekend. Unsealed but a box with 4 flaps that you interleaf to close. Nearly jumped out of skin when I was greeted with 2 yellow eyes peering up at me. How she managed to get in the box and then make space for herself with all that stuff in I don't know. Had one of those "Can't I get any peace anywhere?" expressions on her as well.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Welcome home!

A couple have been reunited with their cat 10 years after he went missing from their narrowboat.

Big Ginge was last seen by owners Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy in 2011 while on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction - 25 miles from their Birmingham home. Despite usually hopping on and off the boat, he disappeared and the couple registered him as missing. They were shocked to receive a call to say he had been found in Staffordshire. The couple's three cats, Weasel and her offspring Diesel and Big Ginge, then three, were used to living on the canal and went on and off the boat.

Mr Clayton said there had "never been an issue" with the cats finding their way home and then the other two cats came back without Big Ginge. The couple stayed another five days searching before registering him as missing on his microchip.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-59322766

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Welcome home!

A couple have been reunited with their cat 10 years after he went missing from their narrowboat.

Big Ginge was last seen by owners Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy in 2011 while on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction - 25 miles from their Birmingham home. Despite usually hopping on and off the boat, he disappeared and the couple registered him as missing. They were shocked to receive a call to say he had been found in Staffordshire. The couple's three cats, Weasel and her offspring Diesel and Big Ginge, then three, were used to living on the canal and went on and off the boat.

Mr Clayton said there had "never been an issue" with the cats finding their way home and then the other two cats came back without Big Ginge. The couple stayed another five days searching before registering him as missing on his microchip.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-59322766
The cat that lived at the marina with the cyclists' cafe near us went missing a couple of years ago. I still hope he will turn up like that, maybe having sneaked onto a boat and then jumped or been kicked off further along the canal.

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It is a very long time since I had a cat she was several months old when we got her. She was being given away because the children of the house had got a puppy and the two caused chaos chasing round the house.

The children has named her “Twinkles” and she refused to answer to anything else; probably just to enjoy the embarrassment caused when calling her.

However I swear that she had a sense of humour. Often in the garden she would approach, tail in the air, purring, wanting to be picked up and made a fuss of. But every once in a while when you bent to pick her up she would grab your leg, claws out, and bite you, enough to hurt but not draw blood. She would then run off, full speed over the fence into a neighbour’s garden not to be seen for hours.

I’m convinced it was a display of feline humour.

She died aged about fifteen, nearly forty years ago but whenever a cat approaches me that way I still remember her and wonder whether I’m going to get a nipped leg from another feline practical joker.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Yesterday pm, messing about downstairs there was a scrabbling noise upstairs. Scrabble scrabble scrabble. Search every room including the attic, but everything quiet. Back down and it starts again so I leg it back up to hear the noise in our small hobby room. Should have known, but cat no. 2 had got into her favourite box again and was shifting (expensive) stuff around to make room for herself. Pulled open top flaps and she jumped a mile, with one of those "I didn't do it" expressions. The four cardboard flaps are quite stiff and interlocked so it must be quite a job to get in, and the box smells heavily of resin, so I don't see the attraction. Getting high on resin? Little beggar.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Cat no.2 at it again. 5am today and I hear her crying, which she never does - in fact I've never come across a cat so quiet. Go to investigate and she's in the bath and apparently can't jump out cos the shower curtain is still drawn across. Lift her out and she legs it. Open curtain and back to bed. Not more than 2 mins later, crying again and she's in the bath again, clearly thinking this is a good game. Attention seeking madam.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Cat no.2 at it again. 5am today and I hear her crying, which she never does - in fact I've never come across a cat so quiet. Go to investigate and she's in the bath and apparently can't jump out cos the shower curtain is still drawn across. Lift her out and she legs it. Open curtain and back to bed. Not more than 2 mins later, crying again and she's in the bath again, clearly thinking this is a good game. Attention seeking madam.

when Abby Small Black Cat finds us particularly obtuse she goes and stands in the bath - we think that the way it amplifies her heart-rending wails has something to do with it!

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
This afternoon I paid a visit to my neighbourhood pet shop to purchase food for my feline overseers. Just ahead of me in line at the checkout was a young woman wearing a cat carrier backpack which was reversed so that the cat was facing forward. Said cat was a young ginger tom called Woody, according to his owner. He seemed unbothered by all the activity around him.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
Any of my cats would rip you to pieces if you tried to put anything binding on them - my personal experiences with trying to give a cat a tiny pill!
We resorted to using a piller for our late cat Rory Cupcake, who was on a regimen for fatty liver disease. It worked great as she was wrapped up in a kitty blanket burrito held by Mr. Impy, but having it stuck at the back of her mouth was horrifying for her :eek: I'm sorry Rory, it was for your own good!

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
This afternoon I paid a visit to my neighbourhood pet shop to purchase food for my feline overseers. Just ahead of me in line at the checkout was a young woman wearing a cat carrier backpack which was reversed so that the cat was facing forward. Said cat was a young ginger tom called Woody, according to his owner. He seemed unbothered by all the activity around him.
I love these ones! I also really love the tabby cat's goofy little face :hahazebs:

s-l400.jpg