Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Since cats in shops have been mentioned, my ex-other 'alf and I went to Boston in Lincolnshire shortly after reading this article about a local cat that had been visiting the local Pets at Home every day:

How much for the lot? Graham the cat visits pet store every day... paying particular attention to the mice and fish for sale

So, because we needed some cat food anyway, and partly because she hoped to meet Graham, we went to the Pets at Home in the article. We asked the young lady behind the counter whether Graham was around. No, she said, but Miguel is. She motioned to the counter top where where saw Miguel, fast asleep.

We'd been standing talking three feet away from him, and hadn't noticed him there.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Aww .. I feel bad posting that now :oops:
Don't! our cat is not quite as high stepping and he does it :) Mind you, he's daft as a brush so....

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
We'd been standing talking three feet away from him, and hadn't noticed him there.
I forget now whether it was Ilkley or Otley where there was a pet shop with a resident cat that used to sit on the counter.

A sign next to him just said "The Cat Will Bite"

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Poor quality video but this is my favourite cat on shop counter encounter from Clerks :D:

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
Reaction score
Just really NEEDED to show you this picture of our Monty, "Best short-hair alter in Western Europe (2014)" and quadruple grandchampion. Also known as terror of small mammals and birds!

And this is his newphew Dougie, only a grand champion, who recently survived being hit by a car, having his diaphragm torn and his stomach and liver pushed into into his chest cavity. He very rarely looks like this though, think more Pig Pen from The Peanuts.

Novena

Offanonagin
Reaction score
What beauties! I'm so glad Dougie survived - sounded horrible!

*Sigh* I'd like to have pets one day...

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
Reaction score
Our cats absolutely adore tinsel - does anyone know if this is common? Nobody ever seems to believe me!

We have to have little tinsel 'beds' around the house all year for them to sleep in :cool:

View attachment 126 View attachment 127
Awwww... black cats (right after bi-colour blue/white) are my fave! Love the grumpy look on his face.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Some interesting info about cats. Did you know that "the thermoneutral zone for a domestic cat is 86 to 97 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s the range of temperatures in which cats are “comfortable” and don’t have to generate extra heat to keep warm or expend metabolic energy on cooling"?

More here:
What’s Up With That: Why Do Cats Love Boxes So Much?
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/whats-up-with-cats-and-boxes/#slide-id-1721093

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Malcolm the cat and owner Susan MacDonald reunited after 8 years

Malcolm was reunited with his owner after going missing for eight years

Malcolm, a tabby with white patches, disappeared from his home in Devon 2007.
He was reunited with owner Susan MacDonald on Saturday after he was found about 20 miles away and a vet scanned his microchip.

Mrs MacDonald said he was the same as when he went missing "but a little more rotund".
She said: "My animals mean the world to me and I was gutted when he went missing.
"I often used to think about him - it was the not knowing that I didn't like."

Malcolm vanished from Mrs MacDonald's home in Rockbeare near Exeter.
He was found wandering the streets of Cullompton by vet Maureen Hutchison who scanned his microchip and contacted his owner. Susan MacDonald has been reunited with her cat Malcolm after eight years

"I could not believe it. You never think you are going to see your animal eight years later," said Mrs MacDonald.
She said Malcolm, now 11, was "full of kisses" and a "laid-back, loving cat".
"He doesn't remember me, however much that hurts.
"He has been gone for eight years, that's about 64 years in a cat's life.
"He is just how I remember him but a little more rotund."
Mrs Hutchison said: "He has obviously been doing very well for himself the last eight years and is certainly well fed."

Pet microchips contain a unique identification number which is linked to a database containing details of the pet, as well as the owner's contact details.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31486045

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
My old 17 year old cat, kept me awake clawing and yowling at me after a night shift. He then went bonkers. This isn't his usual behaviour and I'm a bit worried as he's going under tomorrow to have his teeth cleaned.

Hope he doesn't know something that I can't see :(

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
My old 17 year old cat, kept me awake clawing and yowling at me after a night shift. He then went bonkers. This isn't his usual behaviour and I'm a bit worried as he's going under tomorrow to have his teeth cleaned.

Hope he doesn't know something that I can't see :(
Hope hes in purrfect condition soon.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
The old fella is back. Been off his head on drugs and driving everyone mental. He's purring like a bandsaw

Yes! I thought about asking but decided you'd say when there was news :)

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Never mind cats and people, what's all this about cats and bananas? ...

Ha! That's brilliant.

Reminds me of one time years ago where myself and the then lodger were sat on the doorstep in summer with about a half dozen cats on the path, our own and some neighbours that came to visit.

I'd just got back from shopping and was unpacking my bag, I pulled out this loofah and then thre it on the path for the cats to investigate... and they all went freak! and cleared out of the garden. :eek:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as cat-centric music, which is pleasing music to cats' ears?

The journal Applied Animal Behavioral Science has published online a study by a team from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and University of Maryland. They worked to produce cat-centric music and tried it out on domestic cats."We looked at the natural vocalizations of cats and matched our music to the same frequency range, which is about an octave or more higher than human voices," lead author Charles Snowdon said in Discovery News. "We incorporated tempos that we thought cats would find interesting—the tempo of purring in one piece and the tempo of suckling in another—and since cats use lots of sliding frequencies in their calls, the cat music had many more sliding notes than the human music." The journal carrying their study is the official journal of the International Society for Applied Ethology. Their research approach involved observations of 47 domestic cats hearing two types of music—one type relaxing classical music pleasing to humans (Gabriel Fauré's Elegie and Johann Sebastian Bach's Air on a G String) and the other type, specially created cat music. ...

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-purring-tempo-cats-attention.html