Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
:(

A visit from a furry companion can give comfort to patients in the hospital, but new guidelines recommend that only dogs — and not cats — be allowed in hospitals for pet therapy programs.

The guidelines, from the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), are aimed at reducing the potential risks from having animals in hospital facilities. ...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-hospital-guidelines-say-no-cats-allowed/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Why? Cats don't bite or bark. :confused:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Probably something to do with toxoplasmosis paranoia

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Not all cat stories are happy ones:

5 March 2015 Last updated at 03:51
Man spends £10K on search for kitten killer
By Simon Hall Correspondent, BBC South West
A businessman spent £10,000 hiring a private detective to find the killer of his daughter's kitten.
Neil Tregarthen, from Truro, Cornwall, said he was prompted to hire the detective after Devon and Cornwall Police "failed to investigate".
The kitten belonged to student Aylish Tregarthen and was shot with an air rifle near her Exeter home in September.
Devon and Cornwall Police said it had investigated the crime "fully".
Mr Tregarthen said the kitten, called Farah, managed to crawl back to the house but died despite extensive treatment by a vet.

A £1,000 reward was initially offered by Mr Tregarthen for help to find the killer
He said the private detectives carried out a six-week investigation and gathered a file of evidence and found a prime suspect, but the police refused to bring a prosecution.
"They were totally impotent to do anything to help us, or more importantly wider society," he said.
He believes cuts to police budgets have left officers unable to investigate all but the most serious crimes.

Exeter firm Focus Investigations, which led the hunt for the culprit, told Mr Tregarthen the person responsible had an "obvious sociopathic nature."
"We found a witness who claimed that he had witnessed our main suspect shooting another cat and who stated that he was willing to give a statement to this effect."

Devon and Cornwall Police Neighbourhood Beat Manager Steve Parsons, said: "We investigated this crime fully.
"As for the investigation report, I have examined this and it is packed with rumour and speculation, not evidence.
"I am confident that we have done everything possible in investigating this case."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31735903

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Love the title!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
The words are really 'double entendre', are they not? :cool:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
I laughed hearty! :D Best thing I've heard all week. I might even tweet it. It needs a revival.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's pure filth ... love the fact that he got away with it :cool:

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
If I hadn't heard of Harry Roy I'd have thought it was a fake but it's genuine alright.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
It's totally genuine, and was featured on a BBC Radio 4 programme about the history of the double-entendre in pop culture not so long ago.

And you thought George Formby was living on the edge with his little Ukelele!

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
New life for cat found living in mattress in Penryn
First published Thursday 5 March 2015

A stray tom cat who was found battered and injured living inside a mattress on wasteland is settling into his new home in Falmouth after being rescued and subsequently adopted.
Cats Protection’s Cornwall Adoption Centre initially came to the aid of the stray they named Rocky, after the black cat, thought to be about six-years-old, was brought in by a member of the public.

Rocky had been living inside a mattress on an area of wasteland near a housing estate in Penryn and it is thought he had been living there for months, scavenging for food and getting into fights.
“He had a large number of scabs all over him, tears to his ears and a large abscess in his right ear and one on the left side of his face,” said Gareth Williams, acting manager of the centre. “He was also starving and very thin.
“I immediately took advice from the local vet and gave him something to eat, which helped him to perk up. He saw the vet straight after and immediately started medication for his many ailments.
“We called him Rocky as he looked like he had done a few rounds in the boxing ring. He had not been neutered which was probably why he was in such bad shape.”

After being neutered and nursed back to health at the centre, Rocky was adopted by Dorothy Jones and the pair are settling in well together at her home at Goldenbank.
“I have fallen for the handsome Rocky and I will ensure that with plenty of TLC he is soon the handsome boy I know he can be,” said Dorothy, whose previous rescue cat died last summer.
“Looking at Rocky for the first time made me realise how essential it is to have cats neutered as soon as they are old enough.
“I am looking forward to spoiling this gorgeous boy with lots of love.” :rolleyes:

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...at_found_living_in_mattress_in_Penryn/?ref=mr

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

I am your pussy
You are my tramp
Don't want to fuck you
Just hear you run
Miow... miow... miow...
You can be a cat too

Not often lonely
As you see
I'm a cat with a flat cap
Be careful or I might scratch you
Or turn into a witch
And fly away on my broomstick

I only want to know you
I only want to lick you
I only want to feed you
Every bit of fish and chips that I can find to feed you
Give it to you

I am your pussy
You are my tramp
Don't want to fuck you
Just hear you run
Miow... miow... miow...
You can be a cat too

Shadow tied to a tree
Sometimes I slide away
To be free
Cover you with a warm dark mothering
Fill you with animal love
Carry you away into the sky

Cos I love you love you love you
Even though you make me freeze
And you say I'm only just a dog
Who can't control his fleas
And I love you love you love you
On the roofs and on the floor
And I really can't believe
That we have never met before

I only want to know you
I only want to lick you
I only want to feed you
Every bit of fish and chips that I can find to feed you
Give it to you

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
This is the second post I've read in quick succession tonight which mentions Fish and Chips.

Food is invading the MB!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Every country has a top cat, and for the island of Ireland, that cat is mostly black with mixed patches of white.

This colour is the most common in each of the four provinces, but the value of this information goes far beyond colour. If we know a cat’s fur colour, we also know itsgenetic background.

The identification of the most common feline comes from a national survey of cat colour organised by The Irish Times in collaboration with a geneticist based at Trinity College Dublin. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/scie...results-are-not-all-black-and-white-1.2129613

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I loved some of the comments - are orange cats mostly in the north? do cats in dublin think theu are posher than elsewhere? :)

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Returning for a moment to the double-entendre theme: it always amazes me that in the late 1950s, Ian Fleming got away with naming a female villain, Pussy Galore.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
And Truly Scrumptious... in a children's movie!

Edit: I've often wondered about the Toot Sweets song, which has considerable potential to be about something else entirely.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Ever since the dogs took the prize in last October’s New Yorker Festival debate “Cats vs. Dogs,” adjudicated by the nonpartisan judge David Remnick, I’ve been wondering why cats get such a bad rap. Was it really because, as Adam Gopnik put it, “All dogs are Democrats and all cats Republicans”? What about what Anthony Lane so wisely suggested, that the endless loyalty and good cheer of dogs is a dangerous misrepresentation of life, and that “truth is cats”? There’s an upcoming show at the Japan Society, “Life of Cats: Selections from the Hiraki Ukiyo-e Collection,” of woodblock prints from the Edo period (1615-1867), depicting the life of Japanese cats, from the cozy to the ferocious. The prints are divided into helpful subcategories like Cats and People, Cats Versus People, and Cats as People—in one piquant image, an elaborately berobed cat woman leans on the head of a giant octopus while swatting a soup ladle at some flying fish. ...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...-internet-poetry-and-more?mbid=social_twitter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
She’s furrever young.

The world’s oldest cat, Tiffany Two, has turned 27 — or 125 in human years, according to Guinness World Records. The short-haired black and orange tortoiseshell celebrated her birthday Friday with her California owner Sharon Voorhees, who said the feline doesn’t need catnip to stay fierce in her old age.

“She’s not afraid of anything or anyone. She walks right past the dogs. She’s very feisty!” Voorhees, 73, said. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/furrever-young-world’s-oldest-cat-turns-27/ar-AA9LuZ2

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
We have 5 cats. Our eldest is around 17 and the rest are between 11 to 14. We've noticed a little black critter on the local shelter web page. He's been in since January, a late kitten so only a few months old.

Our house is not big, but we had all the carpets pulled up and wooden floor boards. So the place doesn't smell. The garden is massive and has a wild section out back that the youngest boy like to explore. The Old Fella just sleeps a lot now and the girls never wander outside of the garden. Inca is also getting on at 14 and sleeps a lot too. I keep on top on the areas they poo in. The neighbours have never complained.

So do I increase our family? The Old Fella is in stage 2 of kidney failure and won't be around for ever. I am keen to have a new kitten meet him while he's alive as he's a very wise old cat and the others treat him with a lot of respect, (he showed everyone how to use the cat door first, even though he'd never used one either).

Or is 6 just too much? I'm happy to socialize him in with the others and the family all live pretty harmoniously and get on. I know a lot about cats and black cats are usually the most mellow and get on even if they are not littermates. Basically I could teach Jackson Galaxy a thing or two.

Black cats are often overlooked for many reasons and it breaks my heart that he is not going to get a home as he's a funny looking black cat.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Depends as much how many humans there are to go around the cats too, some do like to bond with one person, others less so.

3:1 is my current and highest cat:human ratio, the cats have the house divvied up between them and accost me mostly in 'their' areas. :D