Cats & People—What Are They Like?!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
How much do other people spend on vet's bills?

I've got two much loved cats
They both went to the vet today to have their teeth sorted out -both had an extraction, plus a dental xray and the one had stitches in the gum.
The older cat had a blood test taken at the same time for his thyroid condition. Obviously injections etc were involved.
I ended up witth a bill for £689.

Fortunately I can afford to pay it, I'm an OAP , not on benefits, but I'm not staggeringly rich either.
Any thoughts? i'e. am I being taken for a ride?
No you're not, we've paid a similar price for pretty much the same set of issues. Yes, we are all being taken for a ride. Once they go under that's when the bill starts to add up. What thyroid meds is the cat on? Stormy is on it too.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Tigger is on Methimozole -10 tiny whatevers a day. I pay £50 a month for the 3 syringes that each last 10 days.
He's been on it about a year and a half, and I feel it has worked really well. But yesterday's blood test revealed that his thyroid count is still far too high. The vet was saying that he could have the operation on one thyroid gland, but that it might take a second operation on the other gland to sort him out.

Now, my Tigger is a dear, sweet, nervous wreck of a cat, coming up to 14 in age.
Every visit to the vet for him is a major trauma, and I've had him nearly refuse to come near me over previous upsets. (My other cat is totally different - doesn't like the vets of course, but takes it all in his stride.)
Today, for example, I had the most terrible job just getting the compression bandage off Tigger's leg from yesterday's blood test. (The vet's post- op instruction leaflet said "loosen the bandage". Tigger thought I was aiming for amputation!!)

I don't want to put Tigger through an operation, and definitely not through two !
I've no doubt I'll be having to face some horrible decision making some time in the not -too- far-away future.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Tigger is on Methimozole -10 tiny whatevers a day. I pay £50 a month for the 3 syringes that each last 10 days.
He's been on it about a year and a half, and I feel it has worked really well. But yesterday's blood test revealed that his thyroid count is still far too high. The vet was saying that he could have the operation on one thyroid gland, but that it might take a second operation on the other gland to sort him out.

Now, my Tigger is a rear, sweet, nervous wreck of a cat, coming up to 14 in age.
Every visit to the vet for him is a major trauma, and I've had him nearly refuse to come near me over previous upsets. (My other cat is totally different - doesn't like the vets of course, but takes it all in his stride.)
Today, for example, I had the most terrible job just getting the compression bandage off Tigger's leg from yesterday's blood test. (The vet's post- op instruction leaflet said "loosen the bandage". Tigger thought I was aiming for amputation!!)

I don't want to put Tigger through an operation, and definitely not through two !
I've no doubt I'll be having to face some horrible decision making some time in the not -too- far-away future.
Yep that's what Stormy, (15), is on are you using the transdermal ear rub gel? That's pretty much what we are paying as well.

Have you tried Gabbapentin before a vet visit? It calms them down and we are just starting to try it out. I think it will work if you have a cat that's easy to pill, squirt meds into mouth etc.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Yes, the Methimazole goes in the ear.
I'm meant to do it in two doses, but I only do one ear-grab a day! (If Tigger could talk he would be shouting "Abuse! Abuse!")
No, he doesn't take pills, and he doesn't eat stuff mashed up in food . His attitude is "I'd rather starve!"
He loves me to bits but he doesn't trust me. I was given pain killer to put in his food today, but he hasn't eaten it.
He agreed to have some ham. however, so he can obviously eat!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Hey recycled keep us up to date as it sounds that we have very similar issues and choices to make soon. Check out the gabapentin we used it once and it "seemed" to slow down one of our more wilder cats for the vet visit.

Briefly Stormy 15yrs old, heart murmur, thyroid, Kidney/auto-immune issues, arthritis in his front leg.

Me and him walk around like we are auditioning for the next Pirates of the Carribean movie, (I've got a stuffed knee). It's comical but sad as we look each other in the eye and go "yep we're screwed..."

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Yes, the Methimazole goes in the ear.
I'm meant to do it in two doses, but I only do one ear-grab a day! (If Tigger could talk he would be shouting "Abuse! Abuse!")
No, he doesn't take pills, and he doesn't eat stuff mashed up in food . His attitude is "I'd rather starve!"
He loves me to bits but he doesn't trust me. I was given pain killer to put in his food today, but he hasn't eaten it.
He agreed to have some ham. however, so he can obviously eat!
Christ this sounds so familiar! If they could get the gabbapetin into liquid we might stand a chance to knock them out.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Christ this sounds so familiar! If they could get the gabbapetin into liquid we might stand a chance to knock them out.
In the US there are compounding chemists , not hard to find, that will make up anything you have an rx for, they make people drugs but I got some beef flavored heart drug for a cat once since pediatric bubble gum was completely unacceptable. It was pretty expensive for a daily dose so we compromised on her learning to take the pill.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
The old stray cat my daughter took in a couple of years ago costs them loads too. It has thyroid problems as well as being blind now.
She found that if you go to the vet for a consultation you can get a script and a chemist near them will make it up for a lot less than the vet.

A catastrophe!

A man has been fined in Taiwan for sending a cat that he no longer wanted via an express postal service, it's reported.

According to the UDN news website, a 33-year-old man surnamed Yang was fined NT$60,000 ($1,952; £1,522) this week, for violating the Taiwan Animal Protection Act, after he posted a Scottish fold cat in a sealed cardboard box to a local animal shelter in Banciao District. He was also fined an additional NT$30,000 for violating the Statute for the Prevention and Control of Infectious Animal Diseases, because staff at the centre found that the cat had not been vaccinated for rabies.

The New Taipei City Animal Protection and Health Inspection Office were able to identify the sender through the delivery service and police surveillance footage, and carried out an investigation into the incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46840201

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Firing up YouTube there and suggests might like to watch:

@https://youtu.be/FMz4f6p4L1Q

I don't want to embed the URL as a video, because it's s real tearjerker...

Duly alerted, if you remove the @ symbol; cat sees film of it's now deceased, former owner/partner...

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Dry your eyes!

I struggled to see an owner in the video on the phone. In the comments below, the cat is said to have been reacting to this video of a cat and a turtle!

Anyway, the screen was a warm place for a kip! :cat:
On the case straight away - it better not be! Will report back soon as... :boss:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
A catastrophe!

A pet owner had to be rescued from a tree after climbing it to free her missing cat.

Maria Parry spent "three days of searching and no sleep" after Harry the tabby disappeared from her home in Fareham, Hampshire. When she found the bedraggled moggy in a back garden she climbed the tree "by instinct" to comfort him before getting stuck herself. Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said the pair were rescued using a ladder.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-46904485

tastyintestines

Justified & Ancient
https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/cat-rescued-from-huntington-co-spillway/1707781082

HUNTINGTON, Ind. (WANE) - Two people helped save a cat stranded on a spillway in Huntington County Wednesday.
The sheriff's department received a call about the cat from a fisherman at the spillway off State Road 5. The cat had lodged itself in the metal structure and was in distress.
It was unclear how the cat got there, but there was no way to access the area unless it fell off the road or was thrown from the road.
Two members of the Army Corps of Engineers, Ryan Martin and Jared Perrott, were already on scene and said they could use a boat to help the animal. They got permission to shut the water to attempt a rescue.
An hour later, Martin and Perrott reached the concrete wall in a boat. The cat was hiding at the top, but slid the entire way down. As it went down, Martin and Perrott were able to grab the cat before it hit the water.

I bet he was strolling along and was frightened by a car. Instead of the more sinister thrown over theory. Rescue video on page.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Swifty, is something else supposed to be inserted there?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Swifty, is something else supposed to be inserted there?
It's all there on my pc? a pic of the lad with his cat, both of them with one green eye and one blue eye and a cleft lip .. are you viewing on one of those new fangled mobile phones?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Someone call social services immediately.
(cwl)
It's all there on my pc? a pic of the lad with his cat, both of them with one green eye and one blue eye and a cleft lip .. are you viewing on one of those new fangled mobile phones?
Nope, on me new lappy, I do not see a link of any kind