• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cattle Mutilations

The Perverts From Outer Space scenario is much more reasonable, I think.

It is argued that "known" UFO cases must be a small percentage of alien visits - if that is what they are. By the same token, cattle mutilation cases, which are quite common, represent overkill, if alien scientists are fixated with bovine anal sampling.

Alien Delinquents, I tell you. Lock them all up . . . if we can catch them! :abduct::dhorse:

I reckon farmers are doing it. There's little fun to be had out in the sticks and it passes the time.

It makes perfect sense - but why? What are samples of cows anus telling them?

That assumes that it is cow anuses that the mutilators are after. Note the frequency of exsanguinations. Cattle contain around 10 gallons of blood. That's too much even for a giant vampire.

Or more probably the softest parts of a dead cow are eaten by scavenging animals.

AFAIK (and I've only scratched the surface) there are no known scavengers that could leave such neat remains, especially on the sheep and smaller mammals that have been found. In particular, the animals' tongues are sliced out near the base as if by a sharp blade (despite the jaws being shut when discovered), and the rectal/reproductive areas are very cleanly 'cored' rather than just being ripped out. There's also the almost-surgical removal of a small area of facial tissue and scouring of the bone underneath, while the rest is untouched.

I've read various explanations for the lack of blood, from draining it to injecting very strong coagulants, or chemical agents that change its basic properties. There's never any blood found outside the animal, though.

It's easier to believe than the authorities acquiring decade after decade of a bovine anus collection. There's nothing special about those particular parts suggesting any use in long term experimentation.

Maybe some toxins, biological agents or levels of radiation accumulate in these parts of the cow's anatomy?
That's what I have always thought since I first read about this years ago.
I can see covert govt agents doing this to ck some type of toxin level.... But I still believe that the vast majority are predators and scavengers where the after effects just seemingly mimic the appearance of something strange.
I can see no reason why space (or dimensional beings) aliens would want cow parts....it's simply too bizarre imho.

That's what I have always thought since I first read about this years ago.
I can see covert govt agents doing this to ck some type of toxin level.... But I still believe that the vast majority are predators and scavengers where the after effects just seemingly mimic the appearance of something strange.
I can see no reason why space (or dimensional beings) aliens would want cow parts....it's simply too bizarre imho.

I do wonder if an actual surgeon has examined these supposedly "surgical procedures" - where did this medical idea start?

I do wonder if an actual surgeon has examined these supposedly "surgical procedures" - where did this medical idea start?
In the hey day of the 70's and into the early 80's the FBI had a man do a study...Kenneth Rommel...
"Rommel's final report was 297 pages long and cost approximately US$45,000. It concluded that mutilations were predominantly the result of natural predation, but that some contained anomalies that could not be accounted for by conventional wisdom. The FBI was unable to identify any individuals responsible for the mutilations. Details of the investigation are now available under the Freedom of Information Act. The released material includes correspondence from Rommel where he states that "most credible sources have attributed this damage to normal predator and scavenger activity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_mutilation#U.S._governmental_explanation
The various 'surgical aspects' are talked about in the wiki link as well as the various theories.

Cattle contain around 10 gallons of blood. That's too much even for a giant vampire.

Blood is the first part of a carcase to commence decomposition. That’s why we bleed carcases immediately after killing the animal. IIRC decomposition begins as soon as four minutes after death.

I’d suggest that a body might appear bloodless for several reasons:

1. Livor mortis: the blood pools in the lower parts of the body due to gravity.

2. Considerable quantities of blood can be lost as foam through natural (or otherwise...) orifices.

3. The animal simply bled to death.

4. Predation. Canines will lap blood.

Who’s for breakfast?

maximus otter

There are plenty of theories out there regarding cattle mutilation. I have heard the Government, Aliens, Skinwalkers, Bigfoot, Satanic Cultists, mean kids, and even natural predators mentioned.

I would like to add another possibility to the list.

While many people have suggested that they thought it was a US government cover-up (for those mutilations occurring exclusively in the USA) the fact remains that this is an international problem.

I would like to put forwards a disturbing alternative. It relates to the possibility of Alzheimers disease being transmitted by a prion:
https://www.nature.com/news/the-red-hot-debate-about-transmissible-alzheimer-s-1.19554

I am not going to make claims about Aliens, not about a government conspiracy, but instead discuss the possibility that Cattle Mutilations are actually a "corporate externality".

Now prions were discovered in the 1960s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion
To date we simply don't know how much prions affect the world. The assumption is that most prions are harmless except for the one that causes Creutzfeld Jacob Disease. The truth of the matter is that there may well be many diseases with unknown causes that are actually the result of prions. Prions are hard to detect and often behave much like viruses, causing people to assume they are dealing with a virus based disease, when, perhaps not?

Now suppose there is a large organization that has at some point made it their business to properly investigate prions, and have found out that they are far more problematic and widespread than current science suggests. Of course that is a big IF. Consider the possibility that such an organization suffers from exposure to legal and financial blow-back from the discovery of prions that they have been releasing as part of their commercial activities. Assuming that the company in question can afford military hardware like silent blackhawk helicopters and special-ops teams, the question would then become, why do this study covertly and not simply buy single animals from various locations, perhaps having the identity of the study concealed via holding companies (the same question might be leveled at most of the conspiracies on the list though). Is this a way of conducting covert mission training exercises while also gathering scientific data, "mutilating two cows with one stone" perhaps?

The reason I have raised this is that the checklist for the cattle mutilations seems consistent with the organs and blood taken in testing for Creutzfeld Jacob Disease.

Now, am I seriously suggesting that Monsanto is behind Cattle Mutilations? No. I'm just having a guess.

Last edited:
I don't know whether this has been mentioned already, but could I change the thread title to

Cattle Moo-tilations

?

I don't know whether this has been mentioned already, but could I change the thread title to

Cattle Moo-tilations?

I vote 'no' ... One of the reasons for problematic proliferation of multiple threads on a given topic is that some of them are hidden under cutesy titles, aren't readily locatable using a search, and thus get overlooked by members looking to add a posting on the given subject.

More cute titles here and there = more topical fragmentation = more time and effort for the moderator staff to try and keep things reasonably organized.

Colavito blames Vallée.

How Jacques Vallée Helped Create the Myth that Space Aliens Mutilate Cattle
7/4/2018

Today is Independence Day, and what could be more American than to take a look at how a Frenchman convinced people across the United States that illegal aliens from outer space were threatening their supply of steak and cheese? Today, we’re going to take a look at how Jacques Vallée helped to invent the myth that flying saucers were mutilating cattle. It’s a sad, dumb story, and the short form is: He put it in a movie, so the public believed it because they saw it on screen.

Our story starts with Charles Fort, who wrote about cattle mutilations in the thirteenth chapter of part one of Lo!(1931), attributing attacks on sheep in Britain in the 1800s and early 1900s to an unknown species of vampire bat or some unknown type of dog, with an implication—never explicitly developed—that a werewolf was involved. The authorities of the time attributed the deaths to feral dogs, but not everyone agreed. Fort quoted from the Daily Mail in 1905, which had a police officer saying, “I have seen two of the carcasses, myself, and can say definitely that it is impossible for it to be the work of a dog. Dogs are not vampires, and do not suck the blood of a sheep, and leave the flesh almost untouched.” While we would immediately recognize the description as being the same type now (falsely) attributed to the Chupacabra, the Chupacabra myth did not yet exist, so the story was merely one more weird thing in Fort’s chronicle of half-understood weird things, with the specter of the werewolf hanging over what would become the legend of the Chupacabra. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/h...te-the-myth-that-space-aliens-mutilate-cattle

...silent blackhawk helicopters and special-ops teams...Is this a way of conducting covert mission training exercises while also gathering scientific data...

With $billions (?) at stake, why perform such a simple task in the one way guaranteed to attract the attention of obsessives?

If you want to dip-sample herds for prions, just buy a few cows, then burn or bury the “waste material”.

A classic case of the Streisand Effect.

maximus otter

Reactions: RaM
Colavito blames Vallée.

How Jacques Vallée Helped Create the Myth that Space Aliens Mutilate Cattle
7/4/2018

Today is Independence Day, and what could be more American than to take a look at how a Frenchman convinced people across the United States that illegal aliens from outer space were threatening their supply of steak and cheese? Today, we’re going to take a look at how Jacques Vallée helped to invent the myth that flying saucers were mutilating cattle. It’s a sad, dumb story, and the short form is: He put it in a movie, so the public believed it because they saw it on screen.

Our story starts with Charles Fort, who wrote about cattle mutilations in the thirteenth chapter of part one of Lo!(1931), attributing attacks on sheep in Britain in the 1800s and early 1900s to an unknown species of vampire bat or some unknown type of dog, with an implication—never explicitly developed—that a werewolf was involved. The authorities of the time attributed the deaths to feral dogs, but not everyone agreed. Fort quoted from the Daily Mail in 1905, which had a police officer saying, “I have seen two of the carcasses, myself, and can say definitely that it is impossible for it to be the work of a dog. Dogs are not vampires, and do not suck the blood of a sheep, and leave the flesh almost untouched.” While we would immediately recognize the description as being the same type now (falsely) attributed to the Chupacabra, the Chupacabra myth did not yet exist, so the story was merely one more weird thing in Fort’s chronicle of half-understood weird things, with the specter of the werewolf hanging over what would become the legend of the Chupacabra. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/h...te-the-myth-that-space-aliens-mutilate-cattle
IMHO Colavito is simply full of it....I have read all of Dr Vallee's books over the last 40 years ...and he has never attributed the cattle mute phenom to aliens. Colavito must either be reading the wrong books or his reading skills are simply terrible. As a matter of fact Dr Vallee more or less abandoned the ETH very early on compared to other ufologists but at any rate has never blamed outer space aliens for cattle mutes. BTW...This is not the first time I have read negative comments on Vallee and others specifically by this Colavito person. It seems like he has tried to make a name for himself by bashing others in the area. Dr Vallee is even quoted twice in his own article saying he doesn't think it's a valid idea yet Colavito continues to try and use it in the article. That borders on bad writing ..period.
The cattle mute thing took off after Strange Harvest by Howe.....she had far more to do with it than any other single person.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6362274/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Moulton_Howe

Last edited:
An interesting program...does mention cattle mutes but the whole thing was interesting...not sure where to post this.

Doesn't the bovine fetish of aliens date back a lot longer? The Hamilton case comes from the US scareship wave of the 1890s. Were there medieval cases? Those ships-in-the-sky were usually dropping their anchors on churches but a bit of cow-vulva must have tempted them now and then . . . :bdown:

They're still happening - here's an account from Australia last year.

Cattle mutilated in North Queensland the work of aliens or robots, owners say

“In the last three months we’ve lost 10 head and five of them are definitely in odd circumstances,” Mrs Cook said.

“We first thought a dog, but then saw one ear was taken off and a circle around it’s muzzle where the tongue was taken out.

“It’s an hour’s drive from here and no one is getting down there without driving right by the house.

“There was absolutely no tracks, no blood, nothing. It’s amazing to think there was no blood, there is no way of cutting anything off with a knife as clean.
“The thing is, nothing went in and ate it, the dogs or the pigs, nothing really wants to take them.”

“We have seen one dead steer closer to home, with a closer look later he had mutilations, too.
“At first there were no markings, it had its tongue removed, its ball bag taken out and pissle pulled back completely out, and it's bottom taken out too.”

It'd be interesting if an autopsy could be done to try to ascertain actual cause of death but I guess that's too much to ask. It's hard to imagine they were alive when these things happen, so how did they die?

Animal predation seems unlikely in these cases where parts appear 'surgically' removed so, human weirdos or..

I'm not sure why either humans or aliens would want to 'mutilate' cattle .
One would think that advanced aliens would ..by now...know a lot about cattle parts assuming they have been monitoring us this long (decades according to alien proponents). In the past they simply could kidnap a few cattle and would know all they need to know. And there are many places to find cattle...why bother to go out into the sticks to nab a few head? Hell..they could take a few from any large ranch in the US west and breed their own. The same for the gubbermint if they needed some for research. For me the whole concept that 'aliens' would need cattle for testing is a bit loony. To what purpose?

I'm not sure why either humans or aliens would want to 'mutilate' cattle .
One would think that advanced aliens would ..by now...know a lot about cattle parts assuming they have been monitoring us this long (decades according to alien proponents). In the past they simply could kidnap a few cattle and would know all they need to know. And there are many places to find cattle...why bother to go out into the sticks to nab a few head? Hell..they could take a few from any large ranch in the US west and breed their own. The same for the gubbermint if they needed some for research. For me the whole concept that 'aliens' would need cattle for testing is a bit loony. To what purpose?
The military? Testing for something they want to keep quiet?

The military? Testing for something they want to keep quiet?
I think it's possible that mutes from years ago in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's could be the govt testing for BSE (Mad Cow) in the cattle population that supplied the food chain. But why not just take the whole cow...and why just those parts..? Or why not simply buy some from the ranches posing as meat suppliers and test them privately ? Even so I still think all mutes come down to various natural causes...and maybe some covert testing.

The aliens explanation is just the couple's baffled reaction, hearing no vehicles pass their house on the only road to where the mutilations happened. Of course it could be someone on foot or maybe a motorbike on a cross-country route from a different direction.

There's no evidence whatsoever of aliens, but then there's no evidence of any perpetrators at all.

Some sort of agency carrying out tests seems almost as unlikely as aliens. Tongues, arses etc..

It seems a genuine mystery, & not confined to one country.

Millions of domestic/farm animals die every year, with or without human intervention. l have yet to see imagery of anything that could not be a random product of either peri- or post mortem predation, or decomposition.

Nature has no pity. Scavengers go for the low-hanging fruit: eyes, buccal cavity and genitals.

maximus otter

Maybe you haven't looked into it much.

Of course many farm animals die each year. Cattle farmers would know all about this & what common scavenging looks like. Nevertheless there seem to be cases away from the norm & which they can't account for. Parts seemingly removed with a very sharp knife, etc etc.

If it is a predator, then it's a fairly uncommon one which they don't see evidence of very often. What sort of predator can leave a carcass with what appear to be cuts?

If you're in the vicinity of Portland, OR, you might want to see, this coming Sunday,

Puppeteers for Fears, the world’s greatest puppet rock band and comedy troupe, present Cattle Mutilation: the Musical!

Puppeteers for Fears, the world’s greatest puppet rock band and comedy troupe, present Cattle Mutilation: the Musical!, a quintessentially northwest story of the generational divide, UFO sightings, and the search for Bigfoot. But with puppets. Written by Josh Gross, directed by Katy Curtis, and with live music performed by Derek Deon and the Vaughns.

Back