• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The sweet potato is a mystery that defies solution at the moment. Somehow sweet potatoes have travelled across the Pacific from America, perhaps on a boat.
640px-Dispersion_de_la_patate_douce01.svg.png

A great summary Mungoman. Have a Merry Christmas. It's raining here.
Thank you Iris, I will - and to you and yours too.

It's dry here (rain shadow) and warm - this was through that warm spell a couple of weeks ago.

It's only 30 degrees here at the mo though - very pleasant.

Attachments

• 172.jpg
    172.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 4
The sweet potato is a mystery that defies solution at the moment. Somehow sweet potatoes have travelled across the Pacific from America, perhaps on a boat.
Thanks Yorky - bloody interesting mate! The Batata, and the Camote are greatly disjunct...which must indicate obvious connections...The Mexican and the Philipines is obvious with the Spanish Trading that went on but the Batata has me struggling- Antilles and Timor/New Guinea?? Missionaries?

I'm wondering if you are talking about sweet potato or yam? Here, we often call yams "sweet potatoes", though I do know they are two different plants.

I'm wondering if you are talking about sweet potato or yam? Here, we often call yams "sweet potatoes", though I do know they are two different plants.
We have Yams down under - we have the Jerusalem artichoke, Helianthus, which people call yams, there are the Indigenous yams, one, the water yam is a member of the Dioscorea family, then we have the Murnong, the daisy yam, Microseris family. There are others known as 'Cheeky Yams', due to the necesarry processing involved to reduce the alkaloid content.

But then we have the sweet potatoes, which were originally a fibrous white one which we ate when I was a young'n, and then the Kumara which I was introduced to in the seventies.

I wouldn't have a clue about the American Yams, so I plead ignorance...or the Fifth - whichever covers it.

We have Yams down under - we have the Jerusalem artichoke, Helianthus, which people call yams, there are the Indigenous yams, one, the water yam is a member of the Dioscorea family, then we have the Murnong, the daisy yam, Microseris family. There are others known as 'Cheeky Yams', due to the necesarry processing involved to reduce the alkaloid content.

But then we have the sweet potatoes, which were originally a fibrous white one which we ate when I was a young'n, and then the Kumara which I was introduced to in the seventies.

I wouldn't have a clue about the American Yams, so I plead ignorance...or the Fifth - whichever covers it.
I have no idea what type of yams ours are. We can grow them ie they are not necessarily imported.

The sweet potatoes are not as common in grocery stores, but you can sometimes find them. I have no idea if they can be grown here.

I enjoy yams. They are sweet.

I have no idea what type of yams ours are. We can grow them ie they are not necessarily imported.

The sweet potatoes are not as common in grocery stores, but you can sometimes find them. I have no idea if they can be grown here.

I enjoy yams. They are sweet.
Reply to my comment. Perhaps our yams are sweet potatoes and I mixed them up:omg:. Though the comment from wiki shows the confusion we have in NA:

Although darker sweet potatoes are often referred to as "yams" in parts of North America, the species is not a true yam, which are monocots in the order Dioscoreales.

Now I am really confused.

People did get around a lot.

I remember reading Japanese culture has both a Polynesian and Siberian element.
I was having a chat with a Thai fella in a bar in Thailand, and we got onto origins of people, and this Fella (he called himself Chicken), told me that the true origins of the Thai people were polynesian/Maori...Seeing as how you point out the influence of Polynesian traits(?) in Japanese culture Kondoru, it makes sense of what Chicken was talking about.

this Fella (he called himself Chicken), told me that the true origins of the Thai people were polynesian/Maori
It's probably the other way around. The Polynesians emerged from South East Asia (including Thailand) and the Philippines in about 2500 BCE, and spread across New Guinea and the Pacific Islands very gradually for the next three and a half thousand years. The last place they reached was Aotearoa, (New Zealand), in about 1200 AD, four centuries before Tasman got there.
Polynesian_Migration.svg

So the Maori came from Thailand (among other places), by a very long route.

It's probably the other way around. The Polynesians emerged from South East Asia (including Thailand) and the Philippines in about 2500 BCE, and spread across New Guinea and the Pacific Islands very gradually for the next three and a half thousand years. The last place they reached was Aotearoa, (New Zealand), in about 1200 AD, four centuries before Tasman got there.
Polynesian_Migration.svg

So the Maori came from Thailand (among other places), by a very long route.
I'd had a few Singha's Eburacum..and some local product...and it was a little late - maybe that is what Chicken meant, OR I heard incorrectly. Either way - looking at the 'flow chart', what you're saying makes sense. My Cuzzy Bros though, in Browns Bay, are going to disagree with me vehemently.

I think I'll keep Shtum.

Really ancient Argentinian cave art.

Near the southernmost tip of South America, people may have started cave painting nearly 8,200 years ago, several millennia earlier than previously suggested by ancient rock art in that area.

Dating of comblike depictions in a cave in Argentina indicates that these designs belonged to a rock art tradition that lasted more than 3,000 years, ending around 5,100 years ago, researchers report February 14 in Science Advances. Ancient South Americans painted a variety of designs on the cave’s internal wall and part of its ceiling over roughly 130 generations, probably to preserve cultural knowledge shared by regional hunter-gatherer groups, archaeologist Guadalupe Romero Villanueva and colleagues say.

Prior studies suggested that extremely dry conditions kept South America sparsely populated during this period. Small, dispersed groups would have needed a central spot to preserve visually their ecological and ritual know-how, the investigators say.

Paint pigments used in the Argentinian cave designs provided the oldest direct dates for rock art in the Americas, Romero Villanueva says. For comparison, indirect measures of mineral growths that formed over and underneath an Indonesian cave depiction suggest it’s the oldest known rock art anywhere, dating to at least 45,500 years ago (SN: 1/13/21). ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/south-american-patagonia-cave-paintings-surprisingly-old

Back