• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cave Ship Mystery From 1897 (Tham Lod Caverns; Thailand)

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Was recently watching the following video and noted to research further.

Having now had some time to, puzzled why I can't easily locate further details of the incident/explanation.

Naturally checked here in the first instance, yet neither, 'cave ship' or even simply, '1897' turns up anything.

Doubtless I may be missing something... any assistance would be appreciated.

The first thing that needs to happen is to figure out which cave system this is. According to the narrator, this incident occurred at the Tham Lod caverns in Thailand's Pang Mapha district. Labeling is an issue because these caverns are also sometimes labeled (in English) as Tham Lot, and there is what I understand to be a significant prehistoric rock shelter in the area also known as Tham Lod.

The cursory Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tham_Lot_cave

... offers a possible clue to the wooden artifacts mentioned in the story:

In Tham Lot and other caves nearby teakwood coffins have been discovered which are thought to have been carved by the Lawa tribes people thousands of years ago.

I'm unable to locate any references to an exploration of these or similarly-named Thai caverns in 1897. Neither have I been able to locate anything clearly relating to the same "Anthony Turnbull" and / or "William Cartwright" cited in the story.

Back