• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

CDs & Mayonnaise

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just heard this on the radio - is it true you can solve the problem of scratched CDs by putting mayonnaise in the scratches and then sticking the lot in the freezer? Then it will play absolutely fine, supposedly.

I don't want to try this out, it sounds like a waste of mayonnaise and wouldn't it defrost anyway? But if it does work, then that would save me getting a new copy of De La Soul's "Three Feet High and Rising".

Any ideas?

Toothpaste will work also, apparently.

All you're doing is filling the scratch which previously was deep enough to deflect the laser and stop it reading the CD - as long as you don't use anything abrasive or otherwise damaging to the disc, you should be easily able to fix it long enough for you to rip a copy to your PC.

Toothpaste is abrasive, so I wouldn't use that either.

You can get scratch repair kits, which use a kind of clear varnish to fill in the scratches.

Thanks for the replies! A proper scratch repair product sounds like the best way to go. Either that or the second hand option...

In an emergency furniture polish works well, even on DVDs.

Makes the place smell like you've been hard at work cleaning too, not just lazing about watching films :)

PaganMoon said:
In an emergency furniture polish works well, even on DVDs.

Makes the place smell like you've been hard at work cleaning too, not just lazing about watching films :)

Yep, Brasso or furniture polish with a nice soft duster has sorted all but the most badly-scratched discs I've ever bought / rented.

A certain games shop can repair/polish game CDs/DVDs for a £1 a disc.

I recall a website discussing audio experiments that involved spreading yoghurt on CDs. The claim was that you could get weird results. I have no recollection of how and why!

By the way, hello everyone.

Hi Yith!

After my recent failed experiment with Slime Mold, I guess I might as well try foodstuffs on my CDs... there's a few that it could hardly do any further damage to.

CDs in Microwaves. Tried at uni. Very *uhmm*...bright.

Ah, Mr James_H/Faggus - good evening, or whatever. Are clocks changing in Blighty soon?

The one on my computer went forward today, so I assume so...
What happened with the CDs in the microwave? (we've already lost one microwave, due to a potato catching fire).

1) BIG SPARKS.
2) Blue and white flashes. Like Lightning.
3) A non-functioning microwave.
4) A remarkable pattern scorched onto the CD. It looked rather like the way that dry ground cracks, but on silver and not brown.

Well, we managed to avoid suffering from point three by utlilising a microwave we didn't actually own...

theyithian said:
CDs in Microwaves. Tried at uni. Very *uhmm*...bright...

You think that's bad? Tried cooking macaroni cheese in the NAD...made a terrible mess and came out cold even after 10 minutes on full volume. Sounded slightly better than Lily Allen.

CDs and Mayonnaise - this works. I've tried it out now, and have resurrected some old XTC and Frank Black albums to prove it...

I've successfully used 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to fix the worst-case cd imaginable(_deep_ gouges).
several passes by hand over the entire surface with the paper, then use the back to polish, then toothpaste for a final finish. worked long enough to make a disc image and save the kid's pc game.

I'm currently evangelical about Brasso - I've got the type that comes on a bit of wadding in a can. Wipe it on, polish it off with a tissue - and cds that I'd given up for dead are playable again (well, unless they're utterly ruined of course). I was getting so cross with the dvds from LoveFilm arriving unplayable - but now they're all fine. I was even thinking I'd have to buy a new dvd player... it's a MIRACLE I tell you.

Eponastill said:
I'm currently evangelical about Brasso - I've got the type that comes on a bit of wadding in a can. Wipe it on, polish it off with a tissue - and cds that I'd given up for dead are playable again (well, unless they're utterly ruined of course). I was getting so cross with the dvds from LoveFilm arriving unplayable - but now they're all fine. I was even thinking I'd have to buy a new dvd player... it's a MIRACLE I tell you.

That's a good tip, especially if you rent DVDs. What is is about rental DVDs that makes those who use the service quite happy to smear their fingerprints and unidentified substances over the discs?

Eponastill said:

Wino's in Glasgow allegedly used to drink liquid Brasso which they had put through a cloth filter. Similarly they used to bubble hair spray through milk (can held upside down in the milk and bubble away) The resulting mixture was called Elnett.

Nothing to do with CD's other than once you have fixed your CD you can always try detroying your brain and kidneys as detailed above.

Ginando said:
Wino's in Glasgow allegedly used to drink liquid Brasso which they had put through a cloth filter. Similarly they used to bubble hair spray through milk (can held upside down in the milk and bubble away) The resulting mixture was called Elnett.

Nothing to do with CD's other than once you have fixed your CD you can always try detroying your brain and kidneys as detailed above.

Why would they drink Brasso? There's no alcohol in it, as far as I know - but there is plenty of ammonia, which is not good for internal use.

As for Elnett - that is a well-known brand of hairspray. Once again, I can't see what pleasure can be derived from drinking (or breathing) the end product of hairspray being bubbled through milk...

The hairspray would leave the solvents and propellants in the milk, probably a similar effect to sniffing glue...

Brasso
Components: Wt % ACGIH: OSHA:
ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL 99%
67-63-0
AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE26BAUME
1336-21-6
5-10 None None
SILICA POWDER CRYSTALLINE
14808-60-7
OXALIC ACID DIHYDRATE
144-62-7

Gof knows what that'd do to your nervous system and stomach.

Ginando said:

I can confirm that they imbued some bad stuff but I never saw Brasso tins.

Where the Kingston Bridge crosses the Clyde, beneath it was Morrison Street. (There was a large Co-Op there [I bought a cardboard Death Star from it] now they're flats). As you passed this area before it was "regenerated" it was a haven for homeless men due to a homeless shelter being nearby.

Their choice of tipple was infact "Bel-Air" shampoo, a small white bottle, which was mixed with a bottle of Eldorado, a screw top tonic wine. Both items were procured from a small newsagent that's still there I believe, next to a horrible looking chippie. When you passed on a bus there was thousands of the little white bottles strewn around the waste ground above Shields Road train depot. I believe it was known as a "Bel Air Shandy".

mooks out

Thanks for that, Timble - I stand corrected, there is alcohol in Brasso.

Gads, those alkies will drink anything. :shock:

Mythopoeika said:
Thanks for that, Timble - I stand corrected, there is alcohol in Brasso.

Gads, those alkies will drink anything. :shock:

You've clearly led a sheltered life. I'd gag at the prospect of drinking some of the legitimate cheap booze on offer these days such as White Lightning cider and as for Carlsberg Special brew.......Hugheeeeeee. (Try saying it as it sounds)

Moooksta said:
Ginando said:

I can confirm that they imbued some bad stuff but I never saw Brasso tins.

Where the Kingston Bridge crosses the Clyde, beneath it was Morrison Street. (There was a large Co-Op there [I bought a cardboard Death Star from it] now they're flats). As you passed this area before it was "regenerated" it was a haven for homeless men due to a homeless shelter being nearby.

Their choice of tipple was infact "Bel-Air" shampoo, a small white bottle, which was mixed with a bottle of Eldorado, a screw top tonic wine. Both items were procured from a small newsagent that's still there I believe, next to a horrible looking chippie. When you passed on a bus there was thousands of the little white bottles strewn around the waste ground above Shields Road train depot. I believe it was known as a "Bel Air Shandy".

mooks out

I'd forgotten about El Dorado as well. Never saw the shampoo trick, but our Jakeys down in the Gorbals at the Nautical college were maybe a choosier bunch. That said, they had no fear of the giant rats which used to share the arches under the railway bridge adjacent to the college, so tippling on brasso, shampoo or hairspray held no fear for them.

Surgical spirit in milk used to be a favourite of the alkies in Manchester in the 70s, it possibly still is...

Ginando said:
Eponastill said:

Wasn't it Dylan thomas who wrote about people getting stoned by bubbling town gas through milk and sniffing it. Or maybe I dreamt it.

Tried the Mayonnaise bit - epic fail... :roll:

Back