• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celebrity Ghosts & Hauntings

Haha, it's all on'ere in the relevant threads! We have Ghost Pet threads, Unexplained Water threads, general hauntings and poltergeist threads...
But not one picture..:(

But not one picture..:(

Nah, no pictures. These things happen when they feel like it so you'd spend your life trying to get a photo.
Nobody would believe us anyway!
Besides, we're not bothered about proving anything.

Nah, no pictures. These things happen when they feel like it so you'd spend your life trying to get a photo.
Nobody would believe us anyway!
Besides, we're not bothered about proving anything.
I was referring to the subject in general terms, not specifically your post.:)

I was referring to the subject in general terms, not specifically your post.:)
Oh right, I see! Same probably applies.

I know lots of other people who have regular life spookiness which doesn't worry them. It's fun!

Aussie actress Cate Blanchett treats herself to a very haunted house:

cate.png

Cate Blanchett's home a haunted English manor house
The Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett and husband Andrew Upton have bought a house with a sordid past – and it’s not just any haunted house. The manor was once a squalid drug den painted with witchcraft symbols.

No, you did not read that wrong. Cate has shacked up in a famously haunted house that has been a drug den, a meeting place for pagans and a hide-out for criminals. And she paid $6.25m for the privilege.
https://www.realestate.com.au/news/cate-blanchetts-home-a-haunted-english-manor-house/

Aussie actress Cate Blanchett treats herself to a very haunted house:

View attachment 28731

Cate Blanchett's home a haunted English manor house

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/cate-blanchetts-home-a-haunted-english-manor-house/

Apparently previous visitors have seen evidence of supernatural and pagan activity -

There are even photographs that show a pagan pentagram, commonly used for seances or wicca magic, painted on the floor at the time.

Oooer, pagan pentagrams, eh! How scary. My house is stuffed with them.

Apparently previous visitors have seen evidence of supernatural and pagan activity -

Oooer, pagan pentagrams, eh! How scary. My house is stuffed with them.
Your house is a Hellmouth?

I agree with escargot if you have seen /experienced it you don’t have to try to explain it to some one who doesn’t believe it . Let them believe what they want :thought:

I agree with escargot if you have seen /experienced it you don’t have to try to explain it to some one who doesn’t believe it . Let them believe what they want :thought:

Wisely put! We're not in the business of converting others.

Cate has shacked up in a famously haunted house that has been a drug den, a meeting place for pagans and a hide-out for criminals. And she paid $6.25m for the privilege.

Sounds like Bermondsey when I was growing up, but you would have got the whole manor for that sum back then

Cate has shacked up in a famously haunted house that has been a drug den, a meeting place for pagans and a hide-out for criminals. And she paid $6.25m for the privilege.

Sounds like Bermondsey when I was growing up, but you would have got the whole manor for that sum back then

It's been done up really posh. I'd live there. If I was loaded.

(This could have gone in the Theatre hauntings thread instead.)

In todays Guardian online there's an interview with Dame Judi Dench. It includes a brief mention of a ghost that she believes that she saw in the Haymarket theatre:

Dench says that in real life she probably has seen a ghost. She is reluctant to discuss it. People will think she’s gone daft. “But I remember being at [the actor] Michael Dennison’s memorial, which was at the Haymarket theatre, early in the morning. And I was walking down the stairs to the stalls and saw somebody in a black tailcoat run down in front of me. And then at the bottom there was nobody there at all.” She pauses. “But a lot of people say they’ve seen ghosts at the Haymarket, or at theatres all over. Ralph Richardson was certain that he did. And it makes perfect sense to me. There’s always a lot of spirits in the theatre, I think.”

That's all that was said regarding ghosts.

Full article here.

Listening to Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters interviewed on the radio about his new album, and he mentioned he once lived in a haunted house (in Los Angeles, I think?). He said though he wasn't the sort to go all paranormal investigator, he was sure there was a presence there, other people sensed it, strange things happened... but he didn't say what they were! Obviously he was on to talk music, but he could have delivered an anecdote or two, you would have thought.

So if you ever meet Dave, ask him about the haunted house and report back here.

Listening to Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters interviewed on the radio about his new album, and he mentioned he once lived in a haunted house (in Los Angeles, I think?). He said though he wasn't the sort to go all paranormal investigator, he was sure there was a presence there, other people sensed it, strange things happened... but he didn't say what they were! Obviously he was on to talk music, but he could have delivered an anecdote or two, you would have thought.

So if you ever meet Dave, ask him about the haunted house and report back here.
He's kind of a bullshitter about stuff like this, I think. He, obviously, used to be a big UFO believer. I don't think he is now though - too down to earth.

He's kind of a bullshitter about stuff like this, I think. He, obviously, used to be a big UFO believer. I don't think he is now though - too down to earth.

He sounded on the level, he seemed to know about paranormal investigators and rejected them, it was just a story to share and he said others could back him up. Unfortunately, with no more details I can't say anymore until he does.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned - but I would highly recommend The Wandsworth Haunting SPECIAL (parts 1 + 2) - here and here, brought to us by the highly entertaining The Quantum Mechanics podcast. (There's also a condensed version of the same story in a later podcast, Mica Paris & The Wandsworth Haunting).

I have to say that both Mica and her daughter come over as extremely robust and no nonsense witnesses. Worth listening to whatever your attitude to to the subject is, I think. (And the guys research does lend a really quite spooky twist to the thing).

Yup listened to that one very interesting spook daddy wonder who lives there now and any more sightings

Watched the Toyah episode yesterday.
She clearly believes the house was haunted and, to a certain degree, she seemed to be leading/prompting the investigators.
Whilst the programme was a bit more sober and persuasive than the likes of Most Haunted, the team's reliance on questionable devices such as "spirit boxes" and interpretation of EVP left me far from convinced that there was anything more than vivid imaginations involved.

He's not so much of a celebrity nowadays but people who were alive in, say, the 1970s might remember the huge posthumous reputation of the land and water speed record holder, Donald Campbell (and his equally famous father, Sir Malcolm). Campbell was a representative of a particular sort of upper-class, old-fashioned heroics of a kind we don't see much these days - perhaps for the best. I'm sure many of us will have a memory in the back of our heads of that B&W film of his boat Bluebird somersaulting into Coniston Water on his last, fatal record attempt in 1967.

As well as being in the Ghost Club, being deeply superstitious and having an interest in the paranormal, Campbell was something of a haunted person himself. Peter Underwood moved in the same circles as Campbell and spoke to him several times: he confided that he'd often had visions of his father prior to land and water record attempts and was convinced the latter was somehow guiding him, including physically guiding the craft / car. Campbell also speculated that his mid 1960s car Bluebird CN7, the spectacular bit of engineering shown below, was in some way 'possessed', and performed as well or badly as it wanted to.

image12.jpg

Underwood also spoke to Campbell's widow after his death. She said yes, she'd since seen him several times, tried to ignore it, but felt he was always "helpful" rather than scary - an encouraging presence. So perhaps rather like Campbell's father had been for him.

You clearly needed incredibly hefty cojones to even consider the water speed record: it was so dangerous about half of those attempting it in the past century were killed in the attempt. Accordingly there is a little story about Campbell playing cards with some of his engineers (or in some versions, 'consulting' the cards) shortly prior to his final attempt in 1967. He drew the same two cards, the Ace and Queen of Spades, as Mary Queen of Scots turned over the night prior to her execution and, always superstitious, commented that he hoped this wasn't a sign he was about to lose his head. When his remains were recovered from Coniston Water in 2001, it was established that he'd probably died when decapitated by his craft's windscreen.

Having said all the above I'm very pleased to add that this incredibly risky record has for many years now been held by Ken Warby of Sydney...who went over 300mph using a boat he built in his own back garden with a $250 surplus jet engine.

Back