• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celebrity Satanists

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Time was in the sixties that The Church of Satan could claim Sammy Davis Jr, Kim Novak and Jayne Mansfield among their members. Or could they? Mystery surrounds who was and who wasn't (like the Rolling Stones - were they or weren't they?). Unlike the fad for Scientology amongst celebrities nowadays, nobody seems to know for sure.

So who was and who wasn't? And are there any celebrity Satanists around these days? I'm presuming Kim doesn't bother with it anymore.

Kondoru said:
Whos Kim Novak?

A beautiful but icily untalented cult movie star of the fifties and sixties.

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_LaVey
Over the years, LaVey attracted a number of notable allies and associates, including celebrities such as Jayne Mansfield, Sammy Davis Jr., King Diamond, Robert Fuest, Jacques Vallee, Marc Almond, Aime Michel, Boyd Rice, and Marilyn Manson.

Robert Fuest being the director of the Dr. Phibes films, I believe.

And I found this weird document that tries to link Satanism with Scientology which I include here in case anybody is interested...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fishman/fable.htm

PART TWO: THE SATANIC ELEMENTS OF SCIENTOLOGY
There are two main types of Satanism, classical Satanism and neo-Satanism. Although Scientology contains many elements of neo-Satanism this story will focus on the classical elements.
In classical Satanism there are numerous elements that help to characterize it as a classical satanic church. One of those elements is the prediction of an ultimate conflict between God and God's representatives (pure good) and Lucifer and his representatives (pure evil). Classical Satanists identify with the devil or Antichrist and believe or act in opposition or with disgust to the values, ritual and symbols represented by the Christ figure and the values, ritual and symbols of traditional Christianity.

MrRING said:

And I found this weird document that tries to link Satanism with Scientology which I include here in case anybody is interested...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fishman/fable.htm

LRH's son seems to be the source of some of the Satanism allegations:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/scien240.html

Penthouse Interview With L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

"Scientology and all the other cults are one-dimensional, and we live in a three-dimensional world. Cults are as dangerous as drugs. They commit the highest crime: the rape of the soul." L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

Penthouse, June 1983

Ron Jr. says that he remembers much of his childhood. He claims to recall, at six years, a vivid scene of his father performing an abortion ritual on his mother with a coat hanger. He remembers that when he was ten years old, his father, in an attempt to get his son in tune with his black-magic worship, laced the young hubbard's bubble gum with phenobarbital. Drugs were an important part of Ron Jr.'s growing up, as his father believed that they were the best way to get closer to Satan --the Antichrist of black magic.

Hubbard: Yeah, they wanted training and further Dianetic auditing, Dianetic processing. It was just an incredible avalanche.

Penthouse: Did he write the book off the top of his head? Did he do any real research?

Hubbard: No research at all. When he has answered that question over the years, his answer has changed according to which biography he was writing. Sometimes he used to write a new biography every week. He usually said that he had put thirty years of research into the book. But no, he did not. What he did, reaily, was take bits and pieces from other people and put them together in a blender and stir them all up --and out came Dianetics! All the examples in the book --some 200 "real-life experiences" --were just the result of his obsessions with abortions and unconscious states... In fact, the vast majority of those incidents were invented off the top of his head. The rest stem from his own secret life, which was deeply involved in the occult and black-magic. That involvement goes back to when he was sixteen, living in Washington. D.C. He got hold of the book by Alistair Crowley called The Book of Law. He was very interested in several things that were the creation of what some people call the Moon Child. It was basically an attempt to create an immaculate conception --except by Satan rather than by God. Another important idea was the creation of what they call embryo implants --of getting a satanic or demonic spirit to inhabit the body of a fetus. This would come about as a result of black-magic rituals, which included the use of hypnosis, drugs, and other dangerous and destructive practices. One of the important things was to destroy the evidence if you failed at this immaculate conception. That's how my father became obsessed with abortions. I have a memory of this that goes back to when I was six years old. It is certainly a problem for my father and for Scientology that I rememoer this. It was around 1939, 1940, that I watched my father doing something to my mother. She was lying on the bed and he was sitting on her, facing her feet. He had a coat hanger in his hand. There was blood all over the place. I remember my father shouting at me. "Go back to bed!" A little while later a doctor came and took her off to the hospital. She didn't talk about it for quite a number of years. Neither did my father.

Penthouse: He was trying to perform an abortion?

Hubbard: According to him and my mother, he tried to do it with me. I was born at six and a half months and weighed two pounds, two ounces. I mean, I wasn't born: this is what came out as a result of their attempt to abort me. It happened during a night of partying --he got involved in trying to do a black-magic number. Also, I've got to complete this by saying that he thought of himself as the Beast 666 incarnate.

Penthouse: The devil?

Hubbard: Yes. The Antichrist. Alestair Crowley thought of himself as such. And when Crowley died in 1947, my father then decided that he should wear the cloak of the beast and become the most powerful being in the universe.

Penthouse: You were sixteen years old at that time. What did you believe in?

Hubbard: I believed in Satanism. There was no other religion in the house! Scientology and black magic. What a lot of people don't realize is that Scientology is black magic that is just spread out over a long time period. To perform black magic generally takes a few hours or, at most, a few weeks. But in Scientology it's stretched out over a lifetime, and so you don't see it. Black magic is the inner core of Scientology --and it is probably the only part of Scientology that really works. Also, you've got to realize that my father did not worship Satan. He thought he was Satan. He was one with Satan. He had a direct pipeline of communication and power with him. My father wouldn't have worshiped anything. I mean, when you think you're the most powerful being in the universe, you have no respect for anything, let alone worship.

http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/satanism.htm

Oh boy - its hard to know who is nuttier!!

Then again:

He was very interested in several things that were the creation of what some people call the Moon Child. It was basically an attempt to create an immaculate conception --except by Satan rather than by God. Another important idea was the creation of what they call embryo implants --of getting a satanic or demonic spirit to inhabit the body of a fetus.

Hmmmmmmmm now why does that have an oddly spooky and familiar feel to it? Could it be.....? Nah.

gncxx said:
"....icily untalented...."

"Icily" isn't a bad description at all but the "untalented" I really am forced to disagree with.

Didn't pick religions well, though.

Jacques Vallee?

This thread gives me the opportunity to pose a question which has puzzled me for many years:

Exactly how serious WAS Jacques Vallee's interest in the Church of Satan?

Vallee has long been one of my real Paranormal heroes, but his membership in the COS stands out like a big toe that's just been run over by a steamroller.

Besides, his joining such a cultist organization seems to badly violate many of the caveats he's so often expressed in his own writings.

Jimmy Page of popular-beat-combo-Led-Zeppelin-fame dabbled with Crowley - don't know if he went so far as to actually practise Satanism, though.

gncxx said:
Time was in the sixties that The Church of Satan could claim Sammy Davis Jr, Kim Novak and Jayne Mansfield among their members. Or could they? Mystery surrounds who was and who wasn't (like the Rolling Stones - were they or weren't they?). Unlike the fad for Scientology amongst celebrities nowadays, nobody seems to know for sure.

So who was and who wasn't? And are there any celebrity Satanists around these days? I'm presuming Kim doesn't bother with it anymore.

Sorry, who's Satan?

It's alright , I'll google him/her....

-

I'm watching Performance on BBC2, again.
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/cammell.html

Rather than regard Performance as a film that opened doors for future filmmakers, it is probably more instructive and accurate to see it as the culmination of a specific cultural moment. In terms of its aesthetics, its editing patterns and its recasting of pop culture as magickal ritual in a sexualised celebration of death, Cammell is quite explicit about the film's origins: Kenneth Anger was “the major influence at the time I made Performance”, much of which is “directly attributable” to him. Anger was a friend of the Rolling Stones and Cammell at this time. Jagger provided music for Anger's Invocation of my Demon Brother (1969) - and was so unnerved by the experience that he allegedly wore a crucifix for months afterwards! - and Cammell played the Egyptian god Osiris in his Lucifer Rising (1973). It is not hard to see the Crowleyan Anger's vision of cinema as a magickal spell woven together of pop culture images imbued with esoteric significance at work in Performance.

Bloody Hypersigils? I'll give you bloody Hypersigils! :lol:

Kondoru said:
"But joining a cult that doesnt believe anything?"

Many of the UFO-oriented cults Vallee has so warned against in his books also essentially believe in nothing. In fact, I assumed that that was one of the reason that Vallee was so down on 'em.

So, again, his membership in the COS stands out like the sore thumb and begs a fuller explanation.

WhistlingJack said:
Jimmy Page of popular-beat-combo-Led-Zeppelin-fame dabbled with Crowley - don't know if he went so far as to actually practise Satanism, though.

That's two entirely seperate subjects.

-----Zoltan

They say that the late great bluesman Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil and that he loosely based his song Crossroads on the event . His guitar playing was phenomenal (to me it always sounds as if he were playing two guitars at the same time) . Check out his stuff.

gerardwilkie said:
They say that the late great bluesman Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil and that he loosely based his song Crossroads on the event . His guitar playing was phenomenal (to me it always sounds as if he were playing two guitars at the same time) . Check out his stuff.
Not exactly 'Satanism' though. Much more folk and African roots stuff.

Much closer to the African God/ trickster figure of 'Papa Legba'.

http://www.sibetrans.com/trans/trans3/sharma.htm
http://neithernor.blogspot.com/2004/02/blue-devils-and-legend-of-robert.html

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I'm watching Performance on BBC2, again.
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/cammell.html

Rather than regard Performance as a film that opened doors for future filmmakers, it is probably more instructive and accurate to see it as the culmination of a specific cultural moment. In terms of its aesthetics, its editing patterns and its recasting of pop culture as magickal ritual in a sexualised celebration of death, Cammell is quite explicit about the film's origins: Kenneth Anger was “the major influence at the time I made Performance”, much of which is “directly attributable” to him. Anger was a friend of the Rolling Stones and Cammell at this time. Jagger provided music for Anger's Invocation of my Demon Brother (1969) - and was so unnerved by the experience that he allegedly wore a crucifix for months afterwards! - and Cammell played the Egyptian god Osiris in his Lucifer Rising (1973). It is not hard to see the Crowleyan Anger's vision of cinema as a magickal spell woven together of pop culture images imbued with esoteric significance at work in Performance.

Bloody Hypersigils? I'll give you bloody Hypersigils! :lol:

Oooh! Oooh! I went to a symposium on 'Performance' last year at the Cornerhouse in Manchester, which opened with CP Snow giving a ritual blessing of some sort. Fantastic day. 8)

'The Devil's Son-in-Law'

Speaking of Southern US bluesmen, there's also "Petey Wheatstraw, the Devil's Son-in-Law."

Makes me wish I knew more about Wheatstraw's father-in-law.

And his wife, too, for that matter...

gerardwilkie said:

You might be interested in checking out THIS THREAD ABOUT THE BLUES CROSSROADS

Pietro_Mercurios said:
gerardwilkie said:
Not exactly 'Satanism' though. Much more folk and African roots stuff.

Much closer to the African God/ trickster figure of 'Papa Legba'.

http://www.sibetrans.com/trans/trans3/sharma.htm
http://neithernor.blogspot.com/2004/02/blue-devils-and-legend-of-robert.html

I remember reading somewhere, perhaps here, about a guy working with MIB's, one of which recalled one day meeting a guy somewhere in the crossroads and show him how to play the guitar in a, literally, unearthly fashion. Anybody else knows what I am talking about?

*scrapes on fiddle*

The Devil went down to Georgia, he was lookin' for a soul to steal... 8)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
escargot1 said:

Oooh! Oooh! I went to a symposium on 'Performance' last year at the Cornerhouse in Manchester, which opened with CP Snow giving a ritual blessing of some sort. Fantastic day. 8)
That must have been some blessing, seeing as CP Snow has apparently been dead, since 1980! :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.P._Snow

Ooops, yup, you're right, senior moment there, it was of course C.P. Lee. :lol:

CP Snow has probably been burned into my mind as a minor associate of The Dark One since I was forced to read his criminally boring Corridors Of Power for A Level about 30 years ago. :(

Marilyn Manson?
Perhaps there should be a distinction made between "famous people who are satanists" amd "famous people who say they are satanists" though it may not be such an important difference as all that.

Re: Jacques Vallee?

OldTimeRadio said:
This thread gives me the opportunity to pose a question which has puzzled me for many years:

Exactly how serious WAS Jacques Vallee's interest in the Church of Satan?

Vallee has long been one of my real Paranormal heroes, but his membership in the COS stands out like a big toe that's just been run over by a steamroller.

Besides, his joining such a cultist organization seems to badly violate many of the caveats he's so often expressed in his own writings.

Anyone have links to supporting evidence for this? This is the first I've heard that one. I recall in either "Forbidden Science" or "Revelations" (the only of his books I've managed to lay hands on as of yet) that he talks about being involved with a unspecified Rosicrucian group.

As for Hubbard and Parson's moonchild workings, did Marjorie Cameron actually have a child about then? (Is "Rosemary's Baby" partially a reference to this?)

Back